My childhood in 1950's here in the UK was so near the end of WW2 was that we lived in times when make do and mend.We children knew no different.Rationing was phased out gradually

We were aweare of treats...having biscuits cake and sweets only rarely.Simple nourishing foods were what everyone I knew ate.

I see a return to a similar way of life on the horizon.

Lentils here have tripled in cost..just as an example.
Its mostly the price to heat homes that will cause hardship.So as winter approaches I know that this will mean for many being cold.

I have a good background in home economics taught early in school to a high level and seeing the older women in my family
manage and can plan meals accordingly.
But many have never had this chance and the in long run health for some may be compromised.
So the out come I suspect of financial hardship will have long reaching effects.
In our area schoolchildren age up to 8 are now to get free school lunches.
Maybe volunteeers can start "Thrift Cafes" for other sectors in the community.
The homeless teenages have this at the YMCA and our church man the kitchen along with others groups.
Worked in with cooking lessons would be a good project.
But alas the mind set of many would believe it to be like the soup kitchens during the 1926 depression.
yet during Lent we had Lent lunches.Eating together ..soup and a filled bread roll..giving the cost of a "normal" meal to the church.Instead of this being a token sharing for a short time only perhaps there is a communal way forward.
I would give of my time and goods to help my community.
Mountain ash