Originally Posted By: meredithbead
I'd also have to work the floor 3(?) shifts a month.
Here's the conundrum: this is an expensive commitment for me, in a gallery with so far a lousy sales record. $85/month + 3 round-trip drives (80 miles) @ 4 gallons of gas = $100/month for a year. Plus the gallery takes 25% of sales. Plus my cost of materials. I've done the math, and I'd need to take in $2,000 sales for the year just to not LOSE money, never mind my time and effort.

To add:
*gas prices may rise again
*25% of sales on top of monthly booth fee? - reduce to 10%?
*bad economy (probably to worsen) for at least two years
people rethinking lifestyle choices
*questions: Can a clause be written into the contract, which would void the contract if after 180 days you decide the venture is worthless to you? This is not standard, but new things are sure to be tried in today's unstable financial mess.

EW put forth the suggestion that first popped into my mind - find a chic restaurant to set up a display, sales = strictly commission based, no space fee

How is your home situated? Can a portion of it be set up as a store front, to where you could charge $85 a month, plus commissions, plus free floor help, plus getting another write-off for your business, as well as personal? You could even have individuals who wanted to test their jewelry making skills come for a day. There are people out there looking for things to do for income, but who can't and won't dish out the start up funds out of fear or lack... but, if jewelry making was on their list of 'wish I could' and they got the bug from a day with you, a day's fee for your time and mentoring may appear worth it... not to mention you might pick up another customer for supply purchases.

The capitalized word, POTENTIAL, stuck out for me, too. I didn't know whether to take it as a positive or a negative capitalization - positive, in that you imagined fortune and fame, or negative as in 'it's only a possibility, not a given.' Can you clarify? I think (like kathy) it's important to understand that entry.

Word of mouth is the cheapest and best way to grow business if you have the quality in merchandise/service to generate it.

You are VERY smart to be thinking ahead. BUT, so what if you aren't chosen... its a good time to get ready with other ideas.

These are my thoughts only, not expected to be taken as truths by any other person.