Hi Gims/Eagle Heart

Oh goodness, I so relate to what you're saying about the first goal to, well, have a goal! I've spent most of my life not willing to set a goal because I might miss out on something else I *could* be doing or enjoying or paying for or something! I even read a book a few years ago with the subtitle "goal setting for those who hate setting goals"...grin. That is how I came to say I have NSOS (Next Shiny Object Syndrome)!

Then last year I was reading a book by Joan Borysenko (sp)that used an interesting analogy. She was saying men tended to climb "Jacob's Ladder", setting one foot after another on the "rungs" (goals, if you will). Achieving, resetting, achieving, resetting. Then she said that for women it is more like "Walking Sarah's Circle" and that women tend to be more "circular" in their achieving of life dreams and doing what they do. Boy, did that hit home with me. I read, and reread, that section and it connected with me to a level I hadn't thought possible. It helped me understand myself so much!

The other thing that helped me a lot (and actually led to me opening my new business) was getting clear on what my passions are...not a goal per se, what drives me at a deep level. What helps me feel connected to others and to my heartspace in a way I never imagined. It helped me see there was a set of core values I have and it didn't matter as much how it happened as that it did happen.

I was actually working with a woman who "knew" she needed to be writing a book and was beating the snockers out of herself because she had only written a few pages in 10 years. However, when we worked together to identify her top 5 passions, she found that she didn't even want to write a book! Or at least it didn't show up in her top 5! Her number 1 passion was a closer walk with God and, to her, that meant becoming a minister. And she never even knew that it was important to her. Way kewl and lots of fun.

So maybe we women aren't *meant* to focus as much on the goals or goal setting as on the experience we want to have...at least that is what I'm learning about myself.

Don't know if this applies to ya'll...and I know it has made a big difference in my life. I do a bubble sort on what is coming up for me and figure out what is most important to me right now. That seems to help me pick my next action and gets me off my nasty circle of not knowing what to do next. If you don't know how to do a bubble sort, let me know and I'll give putting it in an audio or writing it a shot.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!