Originally Posted By: meredithbead
Gims, it was hard for me too when I questioned my religion and found myself ... somewhere else. Not that I abandoned who I was, but I became something less defined by other people's confines. Yes, it's freeing, because you become what you're supposed to be and not what other people want to define you as.

Religion is an earthly concept designed to help us connect with the Divine. When I stopped worrying about earthly definitions (including formal religion) I saw so much more.

So many people are afraid to ask the "wrong" questions. The answers are inside of us, and beyond us.

You do not know how many times I've wished that I could fly out and spend a day (or more) with you, meredith. I would so enjoy a day or better talking with you about how you live in a world where man's religions cause us to live in a maze. The 'freedom' I referred to (and of which I feel you - & EH - fully understand) is new to me... I'm fearful, at times, that I'm adjusting my belief formula to my detriment. But, then when I apply logic, I can't turn back. I don't think anyone understands what position this puts me in as far as my family is concerned. I have to hold my tongue more these days (this needs more explanation, but I don't want to go there right now).

...back to earlier questions in this thread: I have no problems with controlled gambling (like Chick does.) The only problem with gambling is that for some people, it becomes a destructive addiction....
... and, if I might add, sometimes leads to a worship of money - which is a Biblical sin.

As for fate/luck, the Universe leads us to water, and we decide what to do when we get there.
Would it not be true to say, if there was no luck, our life would be predestined, a product of fate? To me, fate is more like a predetermined end... death is our ultimate fate, something that cannot necessarily - considering the Biblical rapture - be changed. Can we make/change our own luck? I think, yes. Can we effect our own fate? I can't say yes to that. Could be some of that religion seeping into my thinking - predestination, and all.