When I say eclectic, I really mean eclectic...for example, we have several Muslim families, but no two of them are the same Muslim sect. We also have Buddhists, Jehova Witnesses, Catholics, Protestants, atheists and Hindu families - not to mention all the languages too! The orthodox Muslim men are not allowed to look at women in shorts and tank tops, and even the non-orthodox are clearly uncomfortable with both the dress and the booze. But they try to join in the neighbourhood events, and everyone tries to find unity in diversity, and it IS good to be together. Just not as easy as you would think it could or should be.

As for the food, it's all potluck and BYOD (bring your own drinks) so that everyone can be sure of having something there they can eat. That too worked well for awhile, until there was more that the majority could NOT eat than could eat...not only due to food restrictions and people wanting to try a little bit of everything and there not being enough for the people with restricted diets, but also to spoilage from the heat.

Another reality is that some people are simply too poor to be able to afford to bring enough food to share and so won't come, out of shame of their inability to contribute. If there is another block party this year (and I'm sure there will be), people will probably bring coolers, bring more food and keep the perishables in there. Live and learn!

I come from a Mennonite background. On my Dad's side, everyone is Mennonite except one of my brothers and myself. The cousins are not as strict as my Dad's parents and grandparents were, but I still don't have many Mennonite relatives who wear tank tops or shorts once they become adults.

(Maya Angelou)