The tree is the very reason we bought this piece of property. I marvel at it constantly. But, it is at its best when the sun is coming up and the dew is on the fresh mowed grass. I'm glad to hear others love oak trees, too. It is my all time favorite, so much so I though I might be reincarnated from a Southern Belle... we've visited some of the plantations in Louisiana and Mississippi, the ones with oak liked entries. Each time, I daydreamed about living on one, sitting and reading under one or each of the trees. God outdid himself when he created them.
Funny, an acquaintance of ours loves the tall southern pines, and hates the outstretched cover of oaks. And an X-coworker said she couldn't stand oaks, because they looked evil, like witches fingers. Didn't stop me from loving them, though.
Thanks to all... I do think myself fortunate and, believe it or not, am constantly in fear of lightening striking it or some awful beetle getting into it... but, I will enjoy it as I can... just like I'd enjoy having all of your beautiful flowers and shrubs... they are ALL beautiful, simply beautiful.

I checked out Birnam Oak, MA. Awesome! Ours is evergreen, a Live Oak, so we never see it without leaves; we have a pin oak (deciduous) out the back door, just as pretty, but not as old. Doesn't it seem as if a few fairies and tree nymphs should be playing around the Birnam Oak, even living in it?