Do you fear death?
No, but I don't want a long drawn-out period of suffering.
Hubbo and I don't talk about much, but after the Terry Schiavo story here a few years ago, I told him that if I was ever in a vegetative state like that -- please pull the plug. To me, nothing would be worse than being stuck inside a body that was never going to recover.

Do you look on it as a reward to life?
no, just the next step in a bodily process.

Do you wish it didn't have to be a part of life?
I accept that someday I will die. I'm not afraid. The only part that bothers me is -- there's never enough time, never.

When you really think about it, does it paint life differently for you?
no. It's not as if this were new information.

Does it challenge your feelings of personal significance?
No. We were meant to have this bodily form in this lifetime. Eventually the body will die. I exist on this plain because I'm supposed to, for now.

Does it render your earthly endeavors meaningless, making you realize how insignificant we each are in the grand scheme of things?
No. Everything/one is small in the grand scheme of things, and everything/one is essential. We are put here for a reason. I believe that everything that is, everything that was, and everything that ever will be -- is connected through time and space and energy. Our significance lies in our being a part of the whole. I believe my/our purpose here is to further that connection and to help others.

A sweater with one piece of yarn missing -- is a sweater with a hole, and the hole grows larger unless another piece of yarn is added. We are all pieces of yarn. Life is the sweater.
----------------------
I believe that when a baby comes out of the womb, it's given a soul, which leaves when the body dies.
I believe this body is one of many that has housed my soul. I have at least one more go-round after this.
It is not my place to speculate about other soul's future(s).

Poet and essayist