Gims, I saw the post, but wanted to think about it a little before replying.

As you said; it’s the dying part that I think most of us fear. I’ve admitted it before, and I’ll do it again; I’m such a wimp. When I have a horrible cold, I could just die. So if I were seriously ill, with terrible pain, and knew the outcome is death, I think I would try to shorten the process. I have no problem with the religious aspect on this. So many cultures practice it. I have no idea how it is in America, but there are several countries in Europe that have “death” clinics…or whatever you call them, sorry…I have no idea. If the patient wishes to die, and the medical evidence is there, his/her wish will be granted. I support freedom of each individual to decide for him or her self.

Of course if suicidal wishes come from depression, or certain outside influences, then I support taking medication to treat the patient. I was truly taken aback, gims, to read that you have battled suicidal thoughts, and still have fleeting moments with them. Would you care to share how you have overcome them? But please don’t if it’s too personal or too difficult.

Gims, could it be that your parents fear they may not go to heaven? This is one of the problems I have with the Christian and other religions. I hope I don’t offend anyone here by saying, I think it is truly a cruel and manipulative technique to install fear of the afterlife in a human being. How burdensome and oppressive that is. What if these beliefs are wrong and you have struggled with these thoughts your entire life.

No, I chose acceptance of the unknown. That itself is peaceful.