One of my alter-names is "Josie the Coffee Lady." It is truly one of my passions. I have about 8 coffee makers, depending on the kind of coffee and kind of brewing method I want to use for the day. I even have an extensive coffee cup collection to suit my many moods...

A few random thoughts.....

There is no one right way to make coffee. It all depends on the kind of coffee you are using, your brewing method, and personal preference. How much coffee to use also depends on the aforementioned criteria, along with the size of the coffee maker of course.

I mostly use 100% Columbian "8 o'clock" whole bean coffee (brown bag,) and grind what I need for about 2 days....With whatever brewing method I use, I serve the coffee immediately and will not serve it after 15 minutes, because now it is no longer super-fresh.

If I use a Farberware electric pot, I make sure the water is ICE cold, so the "perc" is really strong. Same with plastic electric pots...If I use a Mirro aluminum on-the-stove pot, I use cold water with a pinch of salt. Then I put the gas flame on medium. After about 12 minutes, coffee starts to percolate. It is ready to serve within 4-5 minutes...If I use a Mr. Coffee drip coffeemaker, cold water is all I need.

I use a course bean grind for all types of pots. I use a Solis Maestro bean grinder.

Lately I have heard that it is possible to roast one's own beans by using an air pop corn popper. I MUST research that. I cannot imagine being able to roast the beans yourself, then immediately grinding them and brewing. Surely that must result in the PERFECT cup of java. lol

Edited by Josie (02/23/08 04:10 PM)