First of all, Hi to Marilyn who ways she has been lurking.

To answer your question, J. J. Yes, book fairs can be extremely valuable. Authors' Coalition (the group I founded) sponsors several across the nation. The reason I founded it was based on experiences with book fairs. I found, like everything else, that book fairs work if you work them. I also do a blog explaining just what AC (Authors Coalition--www.authorscoalitionandredenginepress.com) does with their booths. It is www.authorscoalition.blogspot.com. There is also a chapter on how to make books fairs successful in The Frugal Book Promoter. I know many of you have that and can just refer to it but anyone else is welcome to e-mail me and I'll copy the chapter to you. My e-mail is HoJoNews@aol.com.

In my opinion one of the best things you can do to propel traffic to your booth at a book fair is to finagle a speaking spot with the fair planners. Short of that, give away something (another book?) with the purchase of your book, as an example. Media releases that you'll be there. And invitations!!! And get whoever you know locally to send invitations, too.

If you don't do these things or pair with an organization (or other authors) to do them, you won't find them super successful in terms of sales or anything else. i. e. I am lukewarm on anything, including book fairs, that you don't promote like crazy.

BTW, anyone interested in the details on the coming LATimes/UCLA Festival of Books details (how to participate even if you can't be in LA) contact me. HoJoNews@aol.com.
This fair draws more than 135,000 people in two days and those people include movie people like producers, screenwrtiers, etc. I GIVE quite a few of my novels away to likely prospects at that fair.

Any questions? What have YOUR experiences been. Let's name a few fairs that were good. Oh! BTW, on my website you will find a whole list of bookfairs for you to consider. Click on the Resources for Writers page. Then click on the book fair list. www.howtodoitfrugally.com.

Love, C.
Author award-winning THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER and THE FRUGAL EDITOR. "After reading , THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER you may know more about book publicity than your publisher." ~ Tim Bete, director, Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop