Oh, JJ, I love to condense.
How about SEVEN? These are seven myths that surround editing and brief answers:

• Agents are a cantankerous lot. (Nope! In The Frugal Editor twenty of the nation's best tell you their pet peeves and they do it in the best of spirits.)
• If your English teacher told you something is OK, it is. (No! Language rules have changed since you were a Sophomore.)
• If a manuscript or query is grammar-perfect, you'll be fine. (No! Lots of things that are absolutely grammatically correct will annoy publishers.)
• Always use your Spell and Grammar Checker. (No! Some suggest you don't use it at all but The Frugal Editor will help you make it your partner instead of your enemy.)
• It's easy to avoid agent and editor scams. Just ask around. (The Frugal Editor gives you a complete list to help you avoid being taken.)
• Your publisher will assign a top-flight editor. (Maybe, but don't count on it. Besides you can be a better partner for an editor if you know something about the process.)
• Formatters and editors will take care of the hyphens, ellipses and all the other grungy little punctuation marks that English teachers avoided teaching because they didn't know how to use them either. (Chances are, you'll catch even great formatters and editors in an error or two if you know your stuff!)

Are you home, Georgia. I leave on Friday. I hope the forum lets me in while I'm gone. I'll be using a ship's computer. (-: I love that it's letting me come back now without signing in every time. (-:

Love,
C.
Author award-winning THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER and THE FRUGAL EDITOR. "After reading , THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER you may know more about book publicity than your publisher." ~ Tim Bete, director, Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop