Hi, Dotsie: Does your son have income to sufficiently cover personal expenses? If he does, then perhaps you can safely transfer the obligation towards those. Where income may be insufficient, prematurely severing financial support for the heavier costs e.g. car, health/medical insurance, could incur financial hardships for your son just when he is trying to gain a foothold.

When my son graduated from college, his diploma was not a guarantee of independence. Income was, and the diploma was only a tool towards that. My son continued to stay at home even after he secured employment. I was happy for him to do that as firstly, he was saving for his first home and he wanted to do that without having to purchase with a mortgage. Secondly (and selfishly perhaps), it staved off the empty nest phase in my life, even just for a short while. However, when my son found employment, he gradually assumed all payments for his personal costs even whilst with me except for his car insurance, which I paid for another year. But, that was because I had given him the car as a graduation present and car insurance in this country is quite a hefty sum even for those who could readily afford it. And, as mobility was one other tool into finding a job, I could not prematurely shift that obligation until he could easily afford it. As my son teased me, I could have given him a pen for graduation instead.

At the end of the day, it really depends on individual circumstances of the children, i.e. income, and plans for the future against your own financial capabilities. Then, as parents, we continually walk alongside them to help from time to time in any way that we can.