I agree that there's a lot of bad stuff on television, especially because of the system. But there's also a whole lot of bad stuff in the library, not to mention the book stores! Around here, I'd say that about 90% of what's in either one is not something I'd want to read. But still I read books (mostly ones I hunt down on Amazon or in used book stores).

To me, the problem isn't the medium per se. The problem is, I repeat, the system. One huge conglomerate can own each of the following: book publishing companies, TV channels, movie studios, radio stations, theme parks and baseball teams. How do you think Harry Potter became such a huge seller worldwide? Because the same company owned the publishing company, the movie studio, and the TV station where it could advertise the first two.

These companies aren't interested in ideas and art; they're interested in making a profit. The most interesting ideas, like the most interesting tv shows, might appeal to a minority and have a hard time getting published and produced. But when they do surface, it's great to find them.