I can't go into a grocery store without a list. I'm a list maker for a lot of things. I keep a running list on the counter and I add to it as I go about each day. Some days the list only contains about 10 items or so. This last week it contained about 25. It's only my husband and myself at home. But, I buy a lot of the "Buy one get one free" sales and put the extra item away for my daughter and her husband. And, at Winn Dixie, they have a free coupon sale every week. If you spend over $25 you get up to 3 items free on their coupon sale list. I usually get those and put them away from my daughter as well.

I don't do a lot of shopping in the 'middle' of the store. I tend to stick to the outer aisles and keep to the fresh food areas. Dairy, meat, produce, etc. I do buy pasta and pasta sauce. And tuna fish. so I enter the middle once in a while.

We also have a dog and a bird, so we have to include shopping for them. Food, treats, toys, etc. I'm trying to buy my dog's food by the case, so that it's less expensive. Definitely buy it from Petsmart instead of the grocery store. This wee the grocery store was 18 cents higher. And, the company that makes my bird's food just increased their prices. Blaming it on the higher cost of corn. Sheesh. A bag that used to cost $9 now cost $12.

I do all the shopping for groceries and stuff for the house. My husband does all the shopping for electronics and computers. Any high cost items (usually more than $100) we confer on.

I don't have a set amount each month to spend. But I try to keep the costs down. Sometimes, it's "Stock Up" day so I go over my "suggested" amount. I try to hit the sales and stock up then. When toilet paper is on sale, I buy enough for a couple of months. The same with paper towels and laundry detergent. I have to save money where ever I can. One thing we will not run out of in my house - toilet paper. LOL
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog