Well, it's just he and I. Food kitty money set aside each week....is ...$60.00CAN. Covers food, and less often, toilet paper, kleenex, kitchen wrapping materials, dishwashing powder & laundry detergent.

This doesn't count going out occasionally for a meal/weekend lunch snack.

We buy primarily fresh foods. The packaged foods we buy (and not all time) are: some dried chinese foods, spices, pasta, phyllo pastry, some fresh juices...

And neither of us, make grocery shopping list(s) in advance -except if one of us wants to prepare a special dish/ meal...then the person will make an effort to get ingredients.

It works for us..probably because no children are presently living with us. Each of us know each others' palate but we are adventurous. So no need to consult in advance. We also individually buy here and there if each person alone, sees a good deal or can remember something that we are low/don't have, some groceries, every few days. Maybe 2-4 items are purchased each time.

We trust each other that we won't overindulge in overspending on 1 food item. We each come from family backgrounds where each of our mothers were immigrant and cooked up meals from nearly nothing.

My dearie also used to be a weekend farmer, so he tends to buy fresh produce and believes in supporting local farms. (Now I think I've concocted a man with hayseeds in his beard...this plus cycling.)

It does help we want (I said want) to be moving more consistently towards a healthy diet.

Edited by orchid (02/21/07 04:58 AM)