The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#97689 - 12/05/06 02:03 AM for sale at BWS?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Dotsie, should we have a member "For Sale" forum? I have pendants I'd love to sell to BWS sisters at a discount.

#97690 - 12/05/06 02:08 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Hello Lynnie,
Good to hear from you and I second that motion and sounds good to me .

Renee

#97691 - 12/05/06 05:11 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Sadie]
Bathbuddys Offline

Loc: Midwest
I have a website and Make Fortune Cookie Soaps!

www.bathbuddys.com

Nancy

#97692 - 12/05/06 07:42 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Bathbuddys]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Lynnie, sounds like a great idea : )
Cindy

#97693 - 12/05/06 08:11 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: diamond50]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Could certainly be fun, I'm for it.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#97694 - 12/05/06 08:14 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Do we get to see a "preview" of your pendants, Lynn?

#97695 - 12/06/06 02:59 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Edelweiss]
Princess Lenora Offline

Dotsie, what do you think? I'd love to see what our sisters are sharing without having to go to each web site. We use each others' services, too. Hannelore, if you click on my web site and go to the products page you will see the pendants. Thanks for asking!

#97696 - 12/06/06 07:56 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I have always been interested in purchasing my BWS sisters' books but it seems to be that they are only available by way of Amazon or some other similar agent. I would really like a signed copy. Is there a way that we can go about that and still purchase by way of PayPal system? As I live across the pond, purchase and shipment via PayPal will make the process much easier for me. Or is there another way that I am being too shortsighted to plan around? Western Union perhaps? If that is an agent accessible to any. Would all the writers please revert to my post when able?

#97697 - 12/06/06 08:10 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

I found one, "Tear drop", did I miss the others?

#97698 - 12/06/06 12:12 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Edelweiss]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Lola,
My book is not available on Amazon, so I don't know what to tell you. It was available in some gift shops locally for a while, but I haven't been pushing that lately. It is only available through me now.

Louisa

#97699 - 12/06/06 03:36 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
My book is available thru PayPal, through Amazon, thru my publisher, thru the trunk of my car, from Mamma, however anyone would want it. I even have a buy it now, pay me later plan. There's one thing I've found and that is book buyers will NOT cheat you. They are the salt of the earth. I have made more new and lasting friends through this book thing.

#97700 - 12/06/06 04:22 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Lola, many of the women here do sell their books off of their own websites using Paypal (like me). I'm an avid Paypal user now - I prefer it to using a credit card over the Internet. I think there are a few who also sell directly via email and personal cheques (like me). I don't know if that helps at all...the best way to go about it is to contact the authors directly and just ask them what they can do for you.

(Maya Angelou)

#97701 - 12/06/06 07:40 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Lola Offline

Hi, Louisa, JJ and Eagle: Many thanks for the quick response. I could easily purchase your books online but I want a signed copy which I am not sure to have otherwise. I now hope to do this direct from you. Could you please set aside a signed copy for me which I intend to purchase by way of Western Union which is the most expedient method of payment under the circumstances. Could you also please quote me full amount by way of PM inclusive of postage and shipping costs. I still have your addresses from the card exchange list and would gladly send off payment as soon as I hear from you. Please mind to label it as printed matter as well.

Carousel Kisses
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne
Eagle Born to Fly

Eagerly awaiting for copies of the above!

Could I purchase other books from the rest as well?

#97702 - 12/06/06 10:39 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
Princess Lenora Offline

Lola, my book is also available via my website via Paypal, like Eagle. I also sell my books from the trunk of my car, like JJ! I LOVE to send signed copies directly from my home. It is so personal. Hey, you all, I found my book for sale on Ebay. Some person who collects books is selling a used copy of my book. The listing says "signed by the author." I think this individual got a copy of my book because I donated a copy to the local domestic violence agency. The agency puts EVERYTHING they get up on ebay for funds! Anyway, one day while I was volunteering, I saw my book on the desk of the person at the DV agency who puts the stuff on Ebay. I wondered what it was doing at her desk because I knew this person wasn't reading it. All I can hope is that the signed copy flys with angels into the hands of someone who really needs the book. How's that for tracking my own book?

#97703 - 12/06/06 10:44 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Girlfriends, I think I put Dotsie on the spot by asking if we could have a sales forum. There must be a reason why this hasn't been done before. So we'll just keep the dialogue going amongst our boomer selves as to what talents, gifts, and abilities we have to offer rather than asking Dotsie for a decision she probably already thought about. Oh, Hannelore, the pendant is the only item for sale on my site other than the book right now. I have bunch of pendants that I made for a fundraiser luncheon for a domestic violence agency. I was supposed to be the key note speaker. Then, the agency did not have the funds to have the fundraiser, and I had already paid for the parts and made the pendants. The agency and I were to split the profit from the pendants (if any) after my costs were covered. Well, I made all these pendants, then the luncheon was cancelled. They are called "A Drop for TEARS."

Edited by Lynnie (12/06/06 10:45 PM)

#97704 - 12/07/06 12:19 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Lola Offline

Hi, Lynnie: I have been trying to PM you! I'd love to purchase your book. And yes, a signed copy is very personal and those that I have, I am very possessive of.

I also reckon your proposed sales forum is a splendid idea in that anyone who has anything to offer can, at the very least, be found in one common section where they can put up a link to their website. It makes it easier to navigate through as well as it allows for time to serve purposes of exploration into what each BWS sister has to offer against demand. I presume, most shop online anyway. Unless, of course "Recommended Links" already serves that purpose. Personally, I find RL very time consuming for purposes of "window shopping" because of the many other links tied up to it. I have jumped from RL to Arts & Crafts to Books at Main Page etc. I would have loved to have purchased my Christmas cards here.

Anyway, just a thought from my end without meaning to impose.

#97705 - 12/07/06 12:40 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Lola, I just changed my preference for email so that I can get emails from my boomer friends. I will go to the post office tomorrow to see how much the postage is to London. Are you an American living in the UK? You did not impose anything except a good idea.

#97706 - 12/07/06 12:44 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

Hi, Lynnie: Yankee as a doodle. I am from Manhattan but have been living in London for nearly 17 years.

#97707 - 12/07/06 01:06 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
Louisa Offline

I will find out about the postage to London on my book too Lola and let you know.

#97708 - 12/07/06 03:37 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynnie, you didn't put me on the spot. I attempted posting about this earlier and got called away by the phone and then had a date in the city with Ross so I am just getting around to posting for the day. Phew.

I am thinking about this. I think it makes sense because we already share informaiton about what we offer on our web sites, but there would be stipulations, like no photos in the forum, only NABBW members could add their information, and a few others I would put together. Let me think a little longer on it, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have everything in one forum.

#97709 - 12/07/06 03:44 AM Re: for sale at BWS?
Princess Lenora Offline

Thanks Dotsie.

#97710 - 12/09/06 05:40 AM Re: for sale at BWS?
Princess Lenora Offline

Lola, I thought I sent you a PM but apparently I did not hit the send button. I found the WU closest to me. I brought the book into the PO and asked how much to London. Fast is $10.00. Slow boat is 5.00 and that means 4-5 weeks. PM me and let me know what you'd like to do. You will have a great collection of books from babyboomers in your homeland!

#97711 - 12/09/06 06:44 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Lola, my book is available only through me, and OF COURSE every copy is signed! Businesswoman that I am, I take all forms of legal USA payment except for food stamps, first-borns, and ex-husbands (there's a reason why they're EX!) Since it's paperback, shipping would be $3.35 airmail letter post (4-7 days.)

Ladies in the USA, if you have a scale, you can figure out postage at home at www.usps.com Be sure to weigh it with packaging.

Poet and essayist

#97712 - 12/09/06 10:04 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: meredithbead]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Lola,

My book is available signed through my website. Like most of these ladies, I take credit cards over the web (not paypal) and I take checks...I agree with Lola on the first-borns and ex-husbands...food stamps I might consider!

And Bertha would love to go to London to see the Queen...sorry JJ...there is another one!

#97713 - 12/09/06 01:09 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Louisa Offline

I went to the PO and was told there isn't a book rate anymore unless you are shipping several books at a time. She told me $5 from here to London and it would take about a week. Of course, our books don't all weigh the same.
Louisa

#97714 - 12/09/06 03:07 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

That's odd Louisa. My post office charges a book rate (media mail) and it's the same each time unless it is going to Canada or overseas. Then it's higher and you have to fill out a customs form. Go figure!

#97715 - 12/09/06 07:59 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

Maybe I had to say "media mail" instead of book rate? You hav eto spell things out for some people. But, I asked her to weigh it and tell me how much it would cost to send it to London, first class AND book rate. She said there's no book rate anymore unless you are sending a lot of books. I thought it was strange, but didn't question her further. She might have gone postal on me if she thought I didn't believe her. It would probably take a month to get there if it didn't go first class. When I sent it all over the states, I used first class and it cost under $2, but I can't remember the exact amount.

Louisa

#97716 - 12/09/06 11:51 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Louisa]
Lola Offline

I must apologise for posting this here but find it more expedient than indiviual PM's as the information falls under same circumstances. Do I take it that all quotes are final and inclusive of air mail postage to London? I went to Western Union today and "que horror" they were charging me £12.00 per transaction! As a result, US$ Amex Travellers Cheques by "signed for delivery priority mail" will be sent off on Monday for the books. Post offices close at 1:00 P.M. on Saturdays here. Post should reach you by Friday if not sooner. Many thanks.

#97717 - 12/10/06 01:23 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
Louisa Offline

Yes. That's fine with me Lola. Thank you.
Louisa

#97718 - 12/10/06 01:55 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I mail packages at least once a week using two of our local post offices. I have gotten differing price quotes so many times, I can't believe it.

I have tried Media Mail and was not impressed. Some things took three weeks to get to the other side of the counrty. Never again. And when they did arrive, they were tattered.

#97719 - 12/10/06 02:00 PM Re: for sale at BWS?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Isn't that strange? And when I mail "stuff" mine gets a tail wind out of here and arrives in 2-3 days, every time. That is so odd! I sent stuff with the higher rate ONE time because a girl had ordered 3 books and wanted them for her and her family to take to the beach with them. They were leaving by a certain day and needed them before they left. I paid extra. They arrive the day AFTER they left. The post office said, "whoops, sorry." That was it. No refund, no nutin'...Fortunately, they came back from the beach early and the books were there for them to finish out their vacation and read. Bad weather at the beach. I said then, never again. I'll use UPS next time or FedUP...I mean FedEx...sorry.

#97720 - 12/10/06 03:57 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

It is strange. I guess it depends on where it's coming from and the volume at the time. I don't understand the difference in pricing between PO's.
Louisa

#97721 - 12/10/06 04:23 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Louisa]
Lola Offline

I actually checked US postal rates online so that I could have a fair idea of what shipping costs would be and gosh, I came away from their website confused than enlightened. Too many variable rates to apply. I understand why there would be different rates. Postal workers probably are just as baffled.

#97722 - 12/10/06 05:25 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

It was the same way when we were in Ireland. Every place we went to mail stuff had a different rate for the cards we mailed. It got to be a joke.

#97723 - 12/10/06 09:56 PM Re: for sale at BWS?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I send everything 'first call' for safety reasons. If its important enough to mail, I want to feel confident of its arrival. Book or Media mail goes fourth class and the recipient could grow a beard waiting for it to arrive...

#97724 - 12/11/06 01:32 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: chatty lady]
Louisa Offline

I usually ship first class, too. I agree, media or book takes too long.

#97725 - 12/12/06 12:06 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Louisa]
Louisa Offline

Ok. Today I went to the PO again and asked about the book rate or media mail. The man said they don't do it internationally but they do still do it in the US. Now, that's NOT what the woman told me the other day, but at least he explained some of it. He said, if I was sending it locally to Boston or something like that, it would get there the next day and if I was sending it to FL or MD it might take 2-3 days but4-5 if it was to the west coast. Strange, but when I do first class, that's about how long it takes, so I don't know. I think they are guessing.

Louisa

#97726 - 12/12/06 03:03 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Louisa]
Princess Lenora Offline

BWSisters, we are so LUCKY that our LOLA in Englad wants to read our books! Each of us has a very different book. Mine is so serious, while JJ's is a humor. Thank you LOLA for your interest in what we are writing here in the USA. I took my book to the post office and told the clerk "How much to send this to London?" and he gave me the aforementioned information. (see above post) I have sent stuff overseas by boat, and it took up to 3 months. Never again will I do that! Oh, the clerk did say there is no media mail for international. Just slow boat or fast air. I also had media mail in the US take FOREVER to get to its destination, and the books arrived torn and tattered, even though I used a bubble wrap. So, that's the scoop on my end!

#97727 - 12/12/06 03:23 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Louisa Offline

And mine is somewhere in between

The clerk at the PO called it an "air letter."

Louisa

#97728 - 12/12/06 05:26 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Louisa]
Lola Offline

Would there be a difference if books were sent off as parcel post? The UK still have book rates under "printed matter" with flat rates against weight, 1st & 2nd class, air/surface mail. Remember "84 Charing Cross Road"? The US postal service does not seem to have resolved from then so, we're in good company.

Postage aside. I was able to purchase Meredith's book by way of PaylPal through an account outside her business website. That was quite straightforward and fast with no surcharges like Western Union or other agents akin to it. Faster than "snail mail" as well. Eagle has also just posted a request at the Tech forum relating to adjustment of shipping costs on her PayPal to accommodate direct overseas orders which could be another possibility to be explored for the proposed sales forum.

As BWS grows further and membership increases overseas, so would interest in your books. We currently have friends from as far as New Zealand and Australia. So, the potential for a wider readership is there for all of you. The many books that have been written by BWS writers, as I have discovered by reading about most of them and in correspondence with you at the forums, have been written from the heart and touch on particular subjects which have universal spirit, thoughts and application. I am sure that there will be a few more from overseas in the future who will be as happy as I am to have a copy of some, if not most, of the books here. May all continue to write and I am looking forward to all your books in all forms of literature, prose and poetry.

And, JJ: You are so very kind. Truly da Queen!

#97729 - 12/12/06 05:43 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
Princess Lenora Offline

Lola, you bring up some very good points in regards to international membership of BWS. I like what you said about our books being from the heart, and having universal spirit.

#97730 - 12/13/06 10:57 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Ladies this is off the book subject but I have about four dozen brand spanking new, beautifully hand carved from balsa wood, then painted and decorated to like just like a fish, only these are LURES made for catching fish. Each is water tested, and the hooks are stainless steel. In the store these are from $29.99 and up. I am offering then for $5.00 each. If you have a husband, son, father and need a different and useful stocking stuffer etc. let me know. I have all sizes for Bluegill, Crappie, Trout, Bass and even fish as large as Muskies.....

Edited by chatty lady (12/13/06 10:58 PM)

#97731 - 12/13/06 11:12 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, my daughter and her boyfriend love to fish. Email me. I might have to take you up on this offer.

Also, when I have a second, I'm going to create the For Sale forum.

#97732 - 12/14/06 03:47 AM Re: for sale at BWS?
Princess Lenora Offline

Wow, thanks Dotsie! This is going to be so much fun.

#97733 - 12/14/06 07:02 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Lola Offline

My first book arrived yesterday. The Eagle has landed! It shared its journey with me and I discovered most wonderfully how, in its flight, the Eagle soars very close to God's face. I could almost hear the whispers between them. I am touched.

#97734 - 12/14/06 03:02 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lola, have you read it yet?

#97735 - 12/14/06 07:39 PM Re: for sale at BWS?
Lola Offline

Yes, Dotsie. I read it last night. And now, Royalty, too, has arrived. With a journal at that! And as I was reminded, Her Majesty was quoted on page 15. And that, I looked into first! And if you would all excuse me, I have got some more reading to do

#97736 - 12/14/06 09:23 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
Louisa Offline

Mine is on its way, Lola. Looks like you'll be busy reading for a while I got your lovely card today. I think that brings me up to 18 now.
Louisa

#97737 - 12/20/06 07:25 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Louisa]
Princess Lenora Offline

Here are two paintings I have posted on Ebay. I've been saying for a year that I wish someone would sell my paintings on Ebay for me. Then I realized that someone is ME! I taught myself how to sell on Ebay! Now I thought I'd share with you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

#97738 - 12/20/06 07:51 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Way cool! I like the one with the leaves best....

#97739 - 12/20/06 07:57 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
lynne

good paintings i also like the one with the leaves the best.

Your certinly gonna flower into full bloom next year lynne keep at it. It takes guts!!!

love celtic_flame

#97740 - 12/22/06 08:19 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: celtic_flame]
Princess Lenora Offline

Thanks for the compliments. The leaves are dramatic, the ocean scene is mystical. Yes, Celtic, it does take guts. This year, I am going to listen to my gut and go for it, whatever it is!

#97741 - 12/22/06 09:11 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Yet another great talent on this site. Beautiful Lynnie. Anything I would paint would look like someone held the brush between their toes. Those painting elephants can do better than me.

I stand amazed at the talent here.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#97742 - 12/23/06 03:09 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

Lynnie, wish you lot's of luck selling your paintings! You have very modest prices, but maybe they will go up. Hope so!
I loved the leaf painting as well. It's very unusual, and the colors are so vivid.

#97743 - 12/23/06 07:08 PM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Edelweiss]
Princess Lenora Offline

Thanks Hannelore. The reason why the paintings are so modestly priced is because as a seller I want to build feedback on Ebay. Feedback is like having a good review on a book. I'd like to have some sales that are modestly priced to build up the sales and the positive feedback. Also, I wanted to encourage an auction because people get caught up in the bidding process.

#97744 - 12/24/06 12:18 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Lola Offline

Got your book today, Meredith. Many thanks.

#97745 - 12/24/06 04:47 AM Re: for sale at BWS? [Re: Lola]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
You're welcome Lola

I was wondering when the dolphins would arrive!

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved