The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#97119 - 12/05/06 02:36 PM Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! [Re: Edelweiss]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
JJ,

I started teaching classes and speaking when I was working in nursing. I was a Home Health Director for several years and that was just part of the territory. Then on my last job we could get extra 'credit' for bonuses by doing community events among other things...that was my favorite way to get the bonus! So it was a natural progression...oh, and I also taught Psych nursing and prenatal classes for years...I'm a born teacher!

The next book is started and in the first edit. It's Putting Your Best Foot Forward: Bertha's Guide to Life and Shoes. I've had it that far along for several months and just couldn't go any further. I just realized last week why I didn't like it...ta da!...I had changed the flow of the interaction between Bertha and my character and it was coming across whiney...now I can't wait to get at the re-writing!

Lynn,

The journal is a blast! I took several different journaling techniques such as 'scripting', 're-writing something that you didn't like' 'expanding on appreciation', that kind of thing. The most fun thing is the joy meter...it's different heel heights...stilettos for joy and house shoes for depression. Of course there are Bertha stories and she's dressed in some pretty funny outfits!

I'm publishing the journal through a small press that is essentially subsidy.

Hannelore,

Morning is definitely my best time of day for being creative. Most of the first book was writen early mornings before work. I still do my morning pages most mornings just to jump start things.

Since I no longer have a set schedule for work, my writing schedule has evolved as well. Sometimes I'll rest in the afternoon and then write until late at night...just depends on my energy level.

I've been busy getting ready for my radio show www.lovingliferadioshow.com which begins today.That has taken most of my time over the last month, including writing as I'm writing some copy for the openings and closings as well as guest interviews. And today is the first show 8pm EST...and the best...da Queen is my first guest!

I'm excited about the re-writes now that I have more of a direction in my mind...so I'm sure I'll develop another pattern of writing and promoting and all that jazz!

Okay, back on the road...I'll check in later in the day!

#97120 - 12/06/06 01:02 AM Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Hello again!

I've made it to Orlando...Bailey is beautiful and so is the weather!

#97121 - 12/06/06 06:23 PM Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Hey,

I'll keep checking in...everybody must be shopping...buying gifts for me?

#97122 - 12/06/06 10:58 PM Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Jane, tell us how the radio show went, okay? Please?

#97123 - 12/07/06 01:59 AM Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! [Re: Princess Lenora]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Lynn,

Thanks for asking! I think it went great! I don't know the stats yet...the show is still evolving, too...it will have more commercial breaks, etc...so it will be even better every week!

This is a fun new twist to my writing career. I started out just wanting to be interviewed and that led to hosting my own show. What I have realized that to be a successful writer, I have to have a platform that will increase my visability in the world...it doesn't matter how good your book is...women won't buy it if they don't know about it...I think that's the shock for many first time authors, that you don't just sit home and type and the readers beat down the door!

I hope you'll get a chance to listen to the archives and give me some feedback...as long as you love it of course!! LOL The archive link should be activated by tomorrow.

#97124 - 12/07/06 02:14 AM Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Well, I have to say that your first guest was a dynamite speaker. She was so articuate, so humorous, so...ah...what's the word? hahah...okay, okay...maybe it's "gabby?"

Thanks for the opportunity!

#97125 - 12/07/06 02:35 AM Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! [Re: jawjaw]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Yes, my first guest was all of these things...especially gabby! Thanks for being my guinea pig!

I'm listening to a replay of Edie's interview with Eagle now. Go Eagle!

#97126 - 12/07/06 03:50 AM Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I tried to email Edie 2 different places and no response. I figure she must be busy. I have ideas. I can't wait to hear the witty, funny, hilarious, uplifting, inspiring, and fantastic interview with your very first guest, JJ. I'd like to hear Eagle's interview. So let us know when you are archived Jane and I'll spend some time at by for and about women. Jane, I am wondering if you did the illustrations. Somehow I missed that information. I haven't read your book yet, but from what I gather you take trials and tribulations and then find the opportunities in them. And, no matter how dark, it looks like you find the light. Can you tell us how you are inspired? What is your muse? Bsides Bertha!

#97127 - 12/07/06 12:17 PM Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! [Re: Princess Lenora]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Lynn,

I'm sure Edie will get back with you...she loves great ideas! That's great!

The interview with Eagle by Edie is already archived. You can find it at http://www.byforandaboutwomen.com/radio.htm it's listed as Life Beyond Depression about midway down the page.

The station is streaming continously now...so there is always something on!

My sister did my illustrations. She has always been an artist and was able to give Bertha a face. It's pretty cool because several other people had other ideas about what Bertha should look like but Cindy captured the essence of what I had in mind...that sister bond. I wish I could draw like that!

You are absloutely right, there is always away to find the light! I've always been on this path of creating a positive attitude...when I learned the concept of Law of Attraction it made such an impact in my life.

Suddenly, I realized that I wasn't a victim...one of my favorite roles...but that I was creating the circumstances that I was living...I started looking at everything differently...and I wanted to find ways to help other women see it differently, also.

The personna of Bertha in many ways was created as an opposite of me in some ways and is right on me in others. I chose the symbol of flamingos to represent that you can have anything you believe you can...at the time I thought flamingos, especially big plastic flamingos in the yard were tacky. Now I love flamingos. I have them strategically placed in my office and my porch is a flamingo garden! So they are now my muse.

#97128 - 12/07/06 02:31 PM Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Jane,
I would be interested in knowing how Bertha (you?) would handle or DOES handle the negative people you come in contact with and how does this affect your writing life?

I know it affects mine. I have a tendency to want to "fix" the negative people I come in contact with and we both know, it's not my job....I am only responsible for me.

So, how do you handle it. I know you're bound to encounter this a lot since you teach and speak.

Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved