The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 8 of 14 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#97149 - 12/11/06 03:31 PM Re: Jane Carroll [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I have a small digital one I carry, or use to carry around in my purse. Problem was that at the most inopportune time, I would hit my purse on something and it would come on. Imagine being in a crowd of peers and suddenly you hear, "Write about the fat lady with the dog stuck to her rear." The on/off button is VERY sensitive.

Welcome home Jane! Do you find it hard to get back into the swing of things once you've been away?

#97150 - 12/11/06 04:24 PM Re: Jane Carroll [Re: jawjaw]
Jane_Carroll Offline

My recorder isn' quite that sensitive...not as sensitive as the fat lady you were describing anyway! LOL and I have carried it with me on trips.

One thing I found useful was to record a talk before I wrote it...made it easier to write it out and actually saved some time.

JJ, your recorder makes me think of the wiggle, giggle and jiggle elephant I just bought for Bailey...I had it in a bag full of goodies and when I was loading the car something got up against it...talk about a commotion! I very carefully positioned that bag in the trunk for the ride home!

#97151 - 12/11/06 04:32 PM Re: Jane Carroll [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
I've just finished transcribing a full program that I recorded into a tape recorder. It was easy-- but pretty time consuming. I think it might be easier to write first, for me. Typing is more natural, strangely enough. Or hire a transcriptionist. My tape recorder is digital and will make audio files that I could send someone.

#97152 - 12/11/06 06:04 PM Re: Jane Carroll [Re: Casey]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Casey,

I know there are services that transcribe very reasonably. What I found useful about recording first was that it sounded more natural, if that makes sense. I tend to write one way and talk another, so when I write a script I rarely follow it very closely.

I haven't tried it since. But I have started recording my practice talks to listen to on my way to an event. It also helps me know how it really sounds...sometimes I think I'm funny but it comes off silly or sarcastic...so I think it helps to listen to it before the event.

My recorder isn't digital, it has a tape. I do minutes for a hospital and they send me a tape so that's the kind of recorder I got.

#97153 - 12/11/06 06:37 PM Re: Jane Carroll [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
When I was a technical writer in another life I used to record all of my interviews then transcribe them later. It made it so much easier than trying to remember what the programmer said. Going back and asking is like pulling teeth. They just aren't that easy about giving up information.

When I have an idea in the middle of the night, or before I go to bed, I'll write it down so I stop worrying about it or thinking about it. It's so much easier that way. Sometimes, I've said to myself, "oh, I'll remember in the morning" and I don't. So, now I write everything down.

Jane, Are you saying that you "talk" into the recorder and put together your presentation that way, then transcribe it for your notes? Interesting. I never would have thought about doing something like that. Thanks.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#97154 - 12/11/06 10:31 PM Re: Jane Carroll [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Vicki,

Yes, that's what I did. I made an outline of sorts...I'm not a good outliner...and then just talked in a normal way about the key points. Then when I typed it up it was much more like I really talk.

I always type out my talks even though I use it as more of an outline when I actually speak. Don't ask me why...I really don't know!

#97155 - 12/13/06 11:37 AM Re: Jane Carroll [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Good Morning All,

I'm off to take Mama for cataract surgery. So I'll check in later.

The interview with Dotsie airs today at 2pm EST on www.lovingliferadioshow.com . I know it's great...it's Dotsie, afterall...but I haven't even heard it yet!

The archives are 'up' but I'm not sure if they are working yet...but they will be soon.

The station is great...right now I'm listening to Edie's interview with Eagle...if you haven't heard it, you are missing a treat...

Okay...later, then!

#97156 - 12/13/06 01:03 PM Re: Jane Carroll [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Thanks for the Link, Jane! Wow, this is like a picnic basket full of goodies. I'm gonna listen to all of your interviews...gee I wanted to do Christmas shopping today.

#97157 - 12/14/06 12:12 AM Re: Jane Carroll [Re: Edelweiss]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Hannelore,

It is like a picnic basket! Hope you enjoy...but remember, everything is archived so you can save some for later!

I've had a wild day. Did Mama's cataract surgery this morning, then my daughter (marketing account exec) called and wanted to know if my parents could do a photo shoot this afternoon for a newspaper ad. So off we went in another direction.

I bet Mama is the first model to do a shoot with her eye-patch and dark glasses on! It was actually pretty neat. They wanted a senior couple fishing with the man wearing a portable oxygen tank. They love to fish anyway so they were naturals! I'm sure there's a story in there somewhere!!

#97158 - 12/15/06 11:35 AM Re: Jane Carroll [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Jane_Carroll Offline

I have been invited to a retirement party. I know that doesn't sound so unusual but the party is for Bertha. Actually her name is Bertha Mae...just like the character in my book...and she has red hair...just like my Bertha...and she's in her 80's...not like my Bertha!

I met her last year at the Southern Women's Show when the book had just come out and I gave her a copy. I mean how often do you come across a walking, breathing version of your imagination?

Evidentually she loved the book and has shared it with co-workers...they even say it must have been written about her...so the co-workers tracked me down through my publisher and invited me to her retirement party today.

I've rearranged my schedule and I will be driving to Birmingham (about 100 miles)for the festivities.

This is why I write...if I can touch one woman enough that her co-workers would go to this much trouble to surprise her...then I am a successful writer.

Touching lives...I believe that's the most important thing we ever do...I know we do it many times a day and never even realize it...I've had patients tell me about how I made a difference in their lives and tell of an incident that I don't even recall...an acquaintance told me last week about her favorite Christmas ornament...my daughter had given it to her daughter several years ago (my daughter was a teen and hers was several years younger)...she said it meant so much to her and just lit up when she talked about it...my daughter doesn't even remember giving it to her.

My point is...Bertha--get off the soapbox...it doesn't have to feel like a big deal to us to be a big deal to someone else...we're touching lives and hearts every day...just by being ourselves...

Have a good day!

Page 8 of 14 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved