The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#93067 - 11/07/06 05:35 PM Re: How Do I Do It? and What is My Secret? [Re: Allison_Bottke]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Allison, I'm so glad you mentioned just writing! That's what makes a writer a writer. I'm sure when people hear you're an author they always tell you that they've wanted to write a book but don't have a plan or idea or anything. They seem to think writing is a fun sport, which it can be when you're inspired but it takes a lot of work and dedication too.

I learned something about rejection when I used to do tv commercials. If your aren't chosen it doesn't mean you aren't talented or pretty or whatever. It just means you aren't right for their product. I think it helped me through the mountains of rejections I received. Didn't mean my topic or writing stunk. It just wasn't right for that particular publisher.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#93068 - 11/07/06 08:06 PM Re: How Do I Do It? and What is My Secret? [Re: Dianne]
Allison_Bottke Offline
Author/Speaker/Diva

Loc: Minnesota
Good perspective, Dianne! Writers who really want to succeed at the craft of writing can never take rejection personally. In fact, my MN writers group celebrates the number of rejection slips our members received the previous month because that indicates that they are actually writing and sending materials out into the world!

And, how right you are about folks telling me they've "always wanted to write a book." If I had a dollar for everyone who has told me that over the years I'd be wealthy! As though it were that easy.

I always say that everyone has a book inside of them, every life story is worthy of retelling in some format...but not everyone is capable of writing the story so that #1.)others want to read it, or #2. so that it will actually sell to a publisher.

God bless the child who wants to share their life story, but the hard reality of publishing is that personal memoir stories do not sell unless you are a well known person, or your story is so amazing that people shake their head in awe... case in point "Why I Jumped."

Hmmmm...wonder how/why I got on THAT tangent?

Onward!

#93069 - 11/07/06 10:39 PM Re: How Do I Do It? and What is My Secret? [Re: Allison_Bottke]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Allison, I'd love for you to talk a little about switching gears from writing non-fiction to writing fiction. Not many writers do both.

What made you want to write that first novel?

#93070 - 11/07/06 11:08 PM Re: How Do I Do It? and What is My Secret?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Allison, thanks for answering my questions. I write for the same reasons. Because I must write. There are stories in my heart that I feel must be told.

You started out with a non-fiction book and planned your promotion strategy around that. You've become quite successful doing that. Congratulations!

I'm with Dotsie. Where did the desire to write fiction come from? Do you plan on writing more novels? Are you thinking of a series?
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#93071 - 11/07/06 11:12 PM Switching Gears Between Non-Fiction and Fiction
Allison_Bottke Offline
Author/Speaker/Diva

Good question!

If you were to ask me what I REALLY want to be when I grow up, I would have to say that my ultimate writing passion is for the stage and screen. I spent several years in Southern California as the Playwright-in-Residence of an intimate little theatre, and loved every minute of it. My goal at that time was to make it in Hollywood as a Screenwriter. That never happened - but then I never really tried, I was so caught up in live theatre and then I moved to AZ and then on to MN.

But the love of writing for the screen never left me.

In 1989 when I made my personal U-Turn journey from a belief in New Age Secular Humanism to Christianity, I felt led to share that story, along with the stories of other people who had made similar journeys. Thus began the God Allows U-Turns anthology series.

Stay with me folks, I'll answer Dotsie's question soon... After multiple volumes in this series I became known primarily as an Editor...someone who could compile multiple volumes in a series, and someone who could market, promote, speak, and evangelize...but not neccessarily WRITE.

However, I did include my own short stories from time to time in the God Allows U-Turns anthology, so folks knew I could write. :-)

Several years ago I met Tracie Peterson, the very well known CBA novelist (and best selling author time and time again) at a writers conference in Colorado. She heard me speak and approached me about co-authoring a non-fiction book on the lies that women believe. I CAN'T DO IT ALL was my first non-fiction book that contained my own writing (and not a collection of stories from other people.)

I had several screenplays in various stages of development and one day I got the idea that two of them could be good novels. I began writing them as novels and figured I needed to learn the craft so when I spoke or taught at writer's conferences, I began to attend fiction classes that were being taught by folks like Angie Hunt, Brandilynn Collins, James Scott Bell, Jack Cavanaugh, Gayle Roper, and Tracie Peterson.

It was attending Tracie Peterson's comprehensive fiction clinic that was a turning point in my career as a novelist. For the very first time in my life I shared my fiction with other readers and writers. I opened myself up to Tracie's critique and teaching.

Tracie encouraged me to approach the publisher who already had our non-fiction book, and who already had my God Allows U-Turns series. This was very good for me because they already knew me and my work ethic and my passion.

They didn't know if I could write fiction...until I presented them with a book proposal and several sample chapters. They contracted me for two novels right off the bat.

All I can say is that God is good...all the time He is good!

I cried for days when I got the news.

Long story short, I work hard but I have been blessed. God continues to open doors for me and I continue to do my best to be a good, faithful and thankful servant.

My first non-fiction book written solely by me will release in 2008. I'm working on it now and it is due in 2007. I've just completed my second novel and because I do not have any contracts to write any more novels, I am working on a book proposal for a fiction series. This "business of writing," is a never ending stream of book proposals, pitches, negotiations, contracts, rejections, deadlines, and jumping back on the wheel to do it all over again.

#93072 - 11/08/06 12:07 AM Re: Switching Gears Between Non-Fiction and Fiction [Re: Allison_Bottke]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
WELCOME my friend! I'm so glad you are here. Now...I'd like to know what has been the ONE thing that you can say has been the hardest thing for you as a writer? If you're like me, you could name dozens of things, but what has been the hardest for you?

Also, I've heard lots of Authors/writers say one of the hardest roadblocks for them was when asked what they do for a living actually telling people they were a writer or author. Some have even said they felt like an imposter. A liar. Did you have a hard time with that in the beginning?

#93073 - 11/08/06 04:35 AM Re: Switching Gears Between Non-Fiction and Fictio [Re: jawjaw]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Allison, you mentioned "Why I Jumped." That became a sellable memoir because there happened to be a video to go with. In other words, with another visual component, the publisher knew it would be marketable. Otherwise, it's true that unless one is Dennis Rodman or a real true notable, memoirs are hard sells. Oh, so that's why I'm writing another one. I am working on my breast cancer memoir which will include the gifts of cancer. Is that the kind of ms to bring to the CO Springs conference? Thanks, L

#93074 - 11/08/06 05:13 AM Re: Switching Gears Between Non-Fiction and Fiction [Re: Allison_Bottke]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
Welcome to the forum:

I can't wait to read your books. Are you going to be in the Oakland County, MI area this year? I would love to attend.

#93075 - 11/08/06 05:43 AM Re: Switching Gears Between Non-Fiction and Fiction [Re: Phyllis0618]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Allison,

Welcome. What a wonderful story. I'm taking Stitch to read at the hospital this weekend when my Mother has surgery. I'm excited to read it.

What an inspiration and encouragement you are to all of us writers!

#93076 - 11/08/06 05:49 AM The Hardest Thing for Me is.... [Re: Phyllis0618]
Allison_Bottke Offline
Author/Speaker/Diva

Leave it to Da Queen to ask a question like this! You are right, there are a dozen or more things that continue to trip me up, but I think I'd have to say that the #1 issue is balancing my time spent online. This includes answering emails and reading blogs and newsletters and such. I can get an early start and before I know it the morning is gone and it's noon!

When I am on a deadline, or doing my best to stay focused on actually writing, I need to stay OFFLINE. Period. Easier said than done, I'm afraid. I'm an email addict. (insert heavy sigh here.)

As for question #2... saying that I am a writer has never come hard for me, but it is an issue for many folks I know. I've been writing since I was a little girl, I've been telling folks "I'm a writer" for decades - even when I wasn't a writer. :-) Alas, delusions of writing grandeur came early for me, the drama queen. :-)

Dianne made a good point about writing personal memoir. The addition of video footage was a plus for that story, but I would hazard to guess that even without video footage the book would have sold - it is a compelling story. Please don't get me wrong, and I don't mean to diminish the work of anyone who has written or wants to write personal memoir, it's just a very hard sell to get a major publisher behind it. However, there are small presses and self-publishing options that are very successful for many folks.

As for the kind of ms to take to the CO Springs writers conference, it depends...what is your goal? Do you want to take classes to help you write it? Or, do you want to pitch it to editors from the big publishing houses? Or, do you want to find an agent? Or...what?

If you are ready to pitch it to a publishing house, do you have a complete book proposal?

Lots of questions...let's talk more about this.

Phyllis, no current plans to be in MI area any time soon, sorry.

Onward!

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved