The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#92884 - 10/22/06 03:31 AM Working from Home
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hey ladies, I have a few questions for all of your that work out of your home. I am wondering:

if you dress up before you start working?
does the way you "look" affect the way you work?

I will be transitioning to more work at home in the future; I am just curious.

Ann

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#92885 - 10/22/06 08:08 AM Re: Working from Home [Re: Anno]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Anno: I occasionally work from home. I dress up like I would on "dress down Fridays" because couriers and clerks would come and go to pick up documents from me. How I present myself on those days is done more as a courtesy to them. On the other hand, I find it good practice to do so as it reminds me that, although I am home, it is still a work day for me. So, yes...the way I look affect the way I work at home.

#92886 - 10/22/06 01:31 PM Re: Working from Home [Re: Lola]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Ann,

When I first started working at home I got up and dressed every morning first thing with makeup and all but in casual clothes.

What I find now is that I take longer and longer to do that. I may work in my PJs until 10 or so...depending on what is going on...and then get dressed for the day...but at some point I do dress and put on makeup. Except for last Thursday when I never put on makeup and I think I probably won't today either...

I do find that the way I dress makes a difference. When I'm writing PJs are fine...comfortable...when I'm on the phone with a coaching client, etc. I want to be dressed and feel professional.

By the way...I am dressed now!

#92887 - 10/22/06 01:32 PM Re: Working from Home [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I definitely agree with Lola. If I stay in my pj's all day (which I've been known to do) I'm productive, but not near as productive as when I dress for the day. I do dress casually everyday, but that's a matter of choice for me.

It's all habit and NOT dressing for the day is an easy one to slip into. I would encourage you to dress as though you were going into the office, even if it's casual. Reasons?

1) Your day will feel more like a work day, instead of a Saturday, or play day.
2) Your subconscious will help you to produce MORE because it will believe you're at the office and the routine you've followed at work, will be continued at home.
3) Any deliveries, as Lola pointed out, or surprised visits won't surprise YOU (and trust me, they happen)
4) While sitting around in your pj's all day can sound like fun, and is, it can trigger a "slouch" attitude and before you know it, you COULD let other things go, like the kitchen being clean, the dusting, etc...just to name a few.
5) If you don't feel "fresh" you COULD stifle your own creativity. Notice I said "could."
6) If you have an emergency and had to run somewhere, you're good to go. That could also involve a client and you don't want to keep them waiting.

These are just a few things. I also think you will feel better about yourself by not slipping into a "oh I don't need to dress because who is going to see me" routine. YOU will see you.
JJ

#92888 - 10/22/06 09:54 PM Re: Working from Home [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I get up, shower, fix my hair, its short so just fluff it and am ready to put a little lipstick and mascara on. I usually wear a pair of jeans or slacks and a frilly blouse or two piece colorful jogging suit. Flats rule here in Chatty town, no heels for me. Now I can begin my day...but not until I have a spritz of Estee Lauder Beautiful, ah, now I'm ready for anything.... You know as I sit here in my nightshirt writing this I should say that on the weekend its shorts, or nightshirt or t-shirt and panties, no makeup or perfume. Yea!!!!

Edited by chatty lady (10/23/06 12:55 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#92889 - 10/22/06 10:07 PM Re: Working from Home [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I do work in my jammies alot! But then I change into my soap-making sloppies. No more professional attire for me.YES!!!!

I go inside the house for lunch, play Cribbage with DH and then back out to the shop.

#92890 - 10/23/06 02:08 AM Re: Working from Home [Re: Di]
Pam R. Offline

You lucky ducks that work at home!!! Wish I had the option. I am soooo jealous!

#92891 - 10/23/06 07:51 AM Re: Working from Home [Re: Pam R.]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Anno, I've been caught in my sweats when customers just pop in. So now I usually wear jeans and a nice top. At home my makeup consists of lipstick. Of course when I do a house showing I dress up.

#92892 - 10/23/06 01:37 PM Re: Working from Home [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Pam, I understand completely where you're coming from. I use to feel the way you do, then I got laid off. EEEK! At first I was crushed, then I realized it was a blessing in disguise and something I had been praying for...Maybe you could do this some day?

Hannelore, if I looked like you, I could get away with just lipstick, too. Talk about a natural beauty!

#92893 - 10/23/06 07:07 PM Re: Working from Home [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
JJ, Now girl; look who's talking… You made me blush all the way over that big blue pond.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved