The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#92325 - 10/19/06 11:09 PM ! plants are amazing creatures !
FitlySpoken Offline

Loc: US
The world of plants ... is totally amazing.

No they are not really creatures just wonderful creations. God is the great designer & I have loved how I find a communication & a reverence for God within the plant world.

Yes, plants do respond to us humans. Positively & negatively. Not that I am a horticulturist or botanist ... just a gal who is enthralled with the life in the plant world.

Working in a nursery for years helped cultivate me & my knowledge of the plant world indoors & outdoors. Working with plants for so long ... I was kind of remorseful when my retail career took another road & now I find myself with 'inanimate objects' to tend & sell. Aah ... the wonderful retail life. But that is another story. Only I do miss that continual connection to plants like I had before all day long! I know see how much they 'gave' me ...

If you want to see how one of your plants respond to you ... pay a little more attention to it everyday. Yes, talk to your plant, play some favorite tunes for them, give a special tlc time. You will be amazed at how your plant will start thriving on your love & attention ... and actually 'look' better than ever ... just for you!

Don't however, forget the proverbial water, plant food, & light ... since your plants can't live for long on love alone. But, alas ... who can.
do you tend your plants?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted starting: 10/19/06 11:08 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
www.freewebs.com/awordfitlyspoken

#92326 - 10/25/06 01:40 PM Re: ! plants are amazing creatures ! [Re: FitlySpoken]
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I have a plant at work that's taking over my desk. It's wrapped itself all around my monitor and around the back of my desk. A few weeks ago I had an elderly lady here and she was admiring my little plant. She had recently lost her husband and was "all alone now". I snipped a fairly large piece off and wrapped it in a wet paper towel and told her how to care for it. Ever since then my little plant has started growing TOWARDS ME ! It's now worked itself up to my keyboard. My fingers brush it whenever I use the mouse or the number keypad and it seems to really like that. It could go out or up towards the light but it has continued to grow TOWARDS ME !

It makes me feel like I'm special to it -- and that's ALWAYS a good feeling

#92328 - 10/25/06 08:15 PM Re: ! plants are amazing creatures ! [Re: ]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I love plants and am currently wintering Boston Ferns through their 5th winter indoors. All were started from 2 end-of-season hanging baskets, near death and marked down to $5 ea. Now 5 seasons later , they have been divided and replanted 3 times, all have outgrown their pots and my first one is so huge I honestly don't know how I'm going to transplant it. I also am wintering asparagus fern through the 3rd winter. Hibiscus through the 3rd winter.

I LOVE african violets, but don't seem to have a green thumb for them.

When I was young and single, I watered, pruned and fed my houseplants every Wed. when I got off work (worked only 1/2 day then) I always turned on classical music for one hour after pampering them.

Now I just try to keep them watered, drapes open and pray they make through to Spring when I can move them all back outside....

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#92329 - 10/26/06 10:33 AM Re: ! plants are amazing creatures ! [Re: starting over]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I love plants and have lots indoors and in my garden. I love spending time in the garden, but don't give enough TLC to my indoor plants, however they still survive. They just aren't thriving like my outdoor ones.

I'm excited because my Christmas Cactus is getting ready to bloom. It's gorgeous. I have a second one that will bloom in about another month.

Lion, this is the first time I've seen your picture in here. You look like a teenager! I've met lion in person and that's exactly what I thought when I met her. Her son is married to my niece. We met at the rehearsal dinner. When I saw her, I thought she was a friend of the kids. NOT. She was the mother of the groom! Her hair is gorgeous.

#92331 - 10/31/06 03:57 AM Re: ! plants are amazing creatures ! [Re: ]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I don't have a green thumb at all. My husband is the one with the garden here. His geraniums look great even today after the weekend of high wind and heavy rain we've had. He has some yellow daisies out there that look so pretty.

Louisa

#92333 - 11/13/06 12:14 PM Re: ! plants are amazing creatures ! [Re: ]
Louisa Offline

Thanks Anne, but I'm not the gardener in our home and that's fine with me. We have a beautiful patio, thanks to my husband. He has the greatest container garden! I wrote a feature story for the paper once on container gardening and used his for the photos to go with it. Even now, when they are doing the roof to our building and there is staging set up on the 7 first floor decks, he has his flowers out there. He had to cut some back and move some, but the geraniums are still gorgeous and the daises are nice and full and there is one pot of pansies for me that looks happy. We are on the water. I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. He plants his flowers earlier than most and they do great.

Louisa

#92334 - 11/17/06 10:55 AM Re: ! plants are amazing creatures ! [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Louisa, I saw your container garden in a photo in another forum. It's beautiful. What do you do with all those plants in the winter?

My Christmas Cactus is blooming. It's gorgeous, every shade of pink you can imagine.

#92335 - 11/18/06 03:33 AM Re: ! plants are amazing creatures !
Louisa Offline

He actually has flowers out there up until we get a frost. He keeps dusty millers and cabbage kale out there for the longest time. He takes the hibiscus inside for the winter, but not the rest. That huge Christmas tree looking thing in the right hand corner, isn't a real tree. He made it out of fake branches or something and wrapped it all around a plant hanger. Soon he'll decorate for Christmas. He'll put out a real fake tree with lights and huge balls on it. We've had some serious trees out there. I never know what he's going to put out there next. I will post a picture or two of this year's winter deck. He's away right now. I plan to get the Christmas stuff out for inside (my decorating domain)and surprise him for when he comes home. (also, it will be a good way to tell him I bought more "stuff."

Louisa

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved