With my folks getting on in their years, I often take time to reflect on the most important lessons learned. Although I can't say I was always the ideal child, and often didn't want to listen to what they had to say, in hindsight much of their wisdom now comes to surface.

At the age of three, I gathered a bucket of snow and placed it carefully in our hall closet. I was devastated to discover it had turned to water the following morning. I ran to my father’s arms for him to “fix” the situation.

My father patiently explained why the snow melted. To this day I remember his kindness and compassion. It is in his example of the kindness and compassion I can now have the same care for him as he ages.

As many have experienced, there comes a day when the physical body can no longer house the spirit of our loved ones. I want to know that when that day comes I will have done all I can to convey to those I love how special they are to me. In a moment, life can and does change. It is in the moments of change we either feel complete or we feel regret.

The daily decisions we make allow us to live with a sense of freedom or a sense of imprisonment.

The freedom is experienced through the gift of forgiveness.

A few thoughts on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Kathleen Gage