The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#9158 - 06/19/05 09:05 AM Re: What will happen?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Sherri, It is so much better stress free isn't it. I was reading about your "good things happening" in another post. I am so happy for you.

chick

#9159 - 06/19/05 06:36 PM Re: What will happen?
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Chick,

That is sooo cool. A job in a thrift store - that would be my dream job! (lol) Except I'm sure I would spend my wages on books and such!

happy shopping! (I mean working!)lol
danita

#9160 - 06/20/05 02:51 AM Re: What will happen?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
What happy posts, makes me want to cry tears of joy for you all, me too, I love the Real Estate job I'm doing... [Razz]

#9161 - 06/20/05 02:22 PM Re: What will happen?
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Chick ... congrats on the job.

I don't think my husband would let me work at a second-hand shop ... he knows I'd spend more than I made. LOL

The other neat thing, I think, is that you're working somewhere that makes a difference in others' lives. I know my daughter couldn't clothe my two grandkids without the Salvation Army store.

I remember commenting on a friend's outfit (her husband is/was an officer in the Army). Anyway, she thanked me and when I asked where she got it, she said, "Sally Ann's," with a big grin on her face. I was confused ... then she told me she got it at the Salvation Army but lots of folks just call it Sally Ann's.

Anyway, have fun.

Hugs and blessings, Francine

#9162 - 06/20/05 04:17 PM Re: What will happen?
chickadee Offline

Francine, I was born in a Salvation Army home for unwed Mother's. They my dear Mother's saving grace back then.

When I was raising my children without "anymoney" my word for alimony, we had a christmas that wouldn't take place without the Sally Ann. My girls and I remember it as our best Christmas ever, ages 1 and 5(We made handmade ornaments, that we still have.)We had our first Christmas with Peace in our new home. Santa was compliments of SA.

The money from our store goes to help people who are serious about giving up drugs/alcohol. My job is fulfilling.

Hugs
chick

#9163 - 06/20/05 05:55 PM Re: What will happen?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Chick,

This is awesome! I have toyed with the idea of working at a Thrift Store. It just seems that the older I get the more simplicity I want, and as little stress as possible.

Sometimes, I tell people that I am 42 years old and I still do not know what I want to be when I grow up. LOL!

We have a Thrift Store here, CHKD (Children's Hospital of the Kings Dauthers), I like going there and the proceeds do go to the hospital and the children benefit. We have also have a "Sally Ann", and well, I like going there too.

Here is another thing I like about Thrift Stores, if you are a crafty person, there is no limit to what your imagination can find. When I sold Cosmetics, that is where I bought my baskets, in order to make gift baskets. I remember once at the Salvation Army store, this woman was trying to sort a large supply of jewelry. I walked up to the counter and asked her if I can take a look? Then I just told her that I would give them $5.00 for the entire bag. She sold it to me, I still have some left, and I have been able to make some other jewelry with it. Simple stuff, nothing elaborate.

Anyway Chick, thanks for sharing your experience. I may just look into that as well.

Love and Hugs,
Cathi

#9164 - 06/21/05 07:59 AM Re: What will happen?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Chick, this is so awesome for you! The way you were led there! Amazing! You said a John Denver look alike interviewed you. Girlfriends, go to Vi's web site and see her art: she did a rendition of John Denver that is wonderful! Love and Light, Lynn

#9165 - 06/20/05 09:49 PM Re: What will happen?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Another thing that I wanted to add. There must be some kind of kindred spirit going on here.

Last week, I really wanted to get out of the house. Then I thought, what will I do?

One thought kept coming to my mind. Just get in the car and go. Over and over again. I haven't done that yet, but I did have other things last week to occupy me. Good idea!

Just get in the car and go!

Love and Hugs,
Cathi

#9166 - 06/22/05 08:11 PM Re: What will happen?
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Congratulations!
It'll be a rewarding experience. And what benefits! Used books!

#9167 - 06/25/05 04:57 PM Re: What will happen?
chickadee Offline

Francine, Sally Ann's is what we called it to. I can see how many people it helps just in my first week there.

Chatty, I think you have struck a goldmine with your idea. I was planning on doing it but this job came up. What is your next step when you get more work than you can handle? Contract it out?

Danita, I got paid yesterday for 2 days work (my day off) and went there shopping. They charged me 2.25 for my box of goodies. I looked at my boss and said, "Can't you beat that just a little bit?" We laughed so hard.
She is a gem, a genuine down to earth lady and we get along fabulously.

Cathi, have you done it yet?

Katrinka, Thanks. My goody box? Books, books boo...well you get it.

chick

[ June 25, 2005, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved