The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#8975 - 10/07/05 04:47 PM Young women choosing family over work?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladies, I thought this might be a great article for us to discuss.

The Mommy Track Gains Appeal Among Young Women

Seems as though younger women are becoming educated AND choosing to be SAHM's.

Youn can find it at this link:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/12836135.htm

#8976 - 10/08/05 03:57 AM Re: Young women choosing family over work?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I would love to be a stay at home Mom at this point in my life but we have to rejoice the fact that many women suffered to give us that CHOICE!

It is a choice to be a working MOM or SAHM. Some women make better mothers by giving a bit of themselves to the world and that makes better children for that mother. Some women have to work to keep the family going. But the suffragettes (sp?) should be honored here for working to give us the opportunity to do what is best for ourselves and our families.

Both Moms who SAH and those who work should be honored. We all contribute to the nurturing of our children in many different ways.

Lynn

#8977 - 10/08/05 05:41 PM Re: Young women choosing family over work?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, this is so true. Different strokes for different folks. I also believe we need to support one another for our individual choices. There are days the SAHM would love to head out the door to work, and the working woman would love to stay home. We shouldn't put one another in boxes.

#8978 - 10/09/05 07:49 AM Re: Young women choosing family over work?
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
To choose to be a SAHM or join the workforce is such a personal decision. Circumstances are different for everyone. My career path always fluctuated according to my family's needs and financial situations.

When my children were finally grown and I had a chance to allow my career to blossom (and it did) I decided it was something I did not want (and neither did my husband because my job made me crazy, LOL) and I now stay home even though the children are working at their own careers.

One thing I have discovered is that even though the children no longer need me at home for guidance they still find ways to use me for their needs throughout the day. I cannot count how many times my daughter has called me from her job to e-mail her a lesson plan from her home computer or to pick up her dry cleaning because she has a parent/teacher conference that night. I guess children will always need their mother no matter how old the child is. LOL.

And this is the biggie. I am the designated concert ticket procurer since most tickets go on sale when my daughter is at work. I was mother of the year, in my daughter's eyes, when I secured a group of Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, and U-2 tickets when she could not. LOL.

#8979 - 10/09/05 07:01 AM Re: Young women choosing family over work?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've always worked, but I would've rather have been a SAHM with a couple more children. Unfortunately I married the wrong man.

I have a team of part-time sales assistants who are located in various cities which I cover. They are professional women who chose to stay home, and now they get to keep one foot in the professional world and still have the flexibility to attend school functions, carpool, etc. It gives me satisfaction to be able to help give these women a way to do both. I think they sacrifice a lot by choosing to work part time, since any of them could earn more income by working full time. I admire that.

Daisygirl

#8980 - 10/10/05 10:41 AM Re: Young women choosing family over work?
karenelaine1977 Offline

Loc: Mississippi
(Daisygirl-What kind of business do you have?)

I'm a stay-at-home, working mom. I stay at home with our 20-month-old daughter and I have several businesses that I started. They are: gift wrapping and party favor service, secretarial service and Independent MK Beauty Consultant. But all of them allows me to be what I wanted to be all along-a stay-at-home mom. I love being at home with our daughter, but being able to work, too.

#8981 - 10/10/05 06:35 PM Re: Young women choosing family over work?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I am a manufacturer's representative and our customers have many trade shows and the part-time people work at the trade shows.

Daisygirl

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved