The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#85977 - 08/25/06 03:56 PM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yes, we had that even during my years in school, believe it or not. The problem as I see it is that only a certain small percentage of students actually get into programs like this (by choice) and so the "word" or education doesn't filter down to the ones who would rather have PE than JA....you know? Especially in larger schools where identies are lost.

I guess my thoughts boil down to my fear of whats happening to our younger generation with their attitude of "give it to me now." I want them to get educated about the facts and how the CC are taking advantage of their naiviety by standing there with the golden apple and saying, "here, use this credit card to get what you want, there's more where that came from! Ahhh...go on. You know you want it!" You know?

#85978 - 08/25/06 05:28 PM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: jawjaw]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Here is how we save money and stay out of debt.
In our house, I have always taken care of the home finances and my husband takes care of our investments...401K & Stocks. I have set up a budget years ago that we follow pretty close. I save for EVERYTHING. I keep a ledger and have created many columns in the ledger & have calculated for every known expense we have through out the year such as; home/auto insurance, property taxes, license plates, etc., that must come out of each paycheck to meet these bills annually. Then I have extra columns for all misc. items that I must save for future purchases or repairs like appliances, furniture, riding lawn mower,auto maintained & spending money to name a few. These particular columns might only get 10 or 20 dollars in them every pay period, but they do add up in 3 or 4 years......patience. There is not always allot of pay check left after budgeting everything, but it sure as heck takes the worry out of how I am going to pay my major bills when the bill comes due. This is what has worked for us. It does take some discipline and patience. We only get paid twice a month so we have to be disciplined in out spending. I hate credit cards too. I do have one, but I make sure I can pay it off the next month, if I have to use it. I look at the kids now days. They want EVERYTHING right now. They don't think about how they will pay for it, or if they can! They can't seem to distinguish between their needs and wants.

#85979 - 08/25/06 05:47 PM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: Cookie]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
There's a site at Garden and Hearth called Debt Free Living that has some good ideas.
www.gardenandhearth/debtfreeliving.htm

#85981 - 08/25/06 07:22 PM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Anne, a very good point for boomers to hear. Because any of us could be thrust (even willing as I'm sure you are) into the role of caregiver (I've been there twice) and if you don't work for a company who believes in helping/supporting their biggest assest, the employee, then you're up the stream without a paddle. How do you generate income, take care of a love one, and keep stress at bay...Great topic in it's own right. I would LOVE to give a workshop on that one topic right there! Gosh I could write tons on it, unfortunately.

Cookie, you are one of those rare individuals who has found the "secret" to staying out of debt. I hate the B word, most of us do. No, not that one...the B---as in Budget. But it is a necessary evil. I stumbled onto a site one time called "Cheapskate Monthly." Some of you have read post where I go on and on about Mary Hunt and what she proposes. Well, it is exactly what Cookie is doing, or should I say, HAS been doing all these years. How did you get so dang smart, Cookie?

This is one great method for STAYING out of debt but there's another thing that needs to be explained to the public (IMHO) and that is WHY people get in debt in the first place. There are lots of reasons already listed here and Ladies, you have my upmost respect for sharing your personal life experiences here, but there are as many reasons as there are people, just about.

I want to thank everybody for jumping in here and sharing. Maybe we are reaching someone out there that needs to hear/read/learn from this topic....yes?

I know I have, and let's face it, I thought I knew EVERYTHING! hahah..ahem...

#85982 - 08/27/06 03:12 PM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: jawjaw]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
oops!
gave the wrong address...sorry!
www.gardenandhearth.com/debtfreeliving.htm

#85983 - 08/28/06 07:30 PM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: TVC15]
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
I'm sorry I lost track of this thread after writing my gripes - life is barrelling on...my father-in-law had a stroke and we had to admit MIL for respite care until we find out more about his condition and can decide what to do with them both.

as to my earlier post...

No, not everyone here is so corrupt. The guy at the credit union is extreme, although all of the banks here are very down on ag. financing. You can go get a new boat or camper without a second look but try to get the same amount for your farm and they want 10 times the collateral as the loan amount.

As for redress for our damages, we are looking into that. I did consult and out of state attorney (keeping out of ND because in the legal sense, ND is one big small town) and was told that the cu didn't do anything illegal, but highly unethical and that doesn't help in court. We have hired the best ag. lawyer in the state to make the little punk ag. supplier who has caused so many problems go away. We have some damning evidence against him involving other people so we're hoping he will see the light when our lawyer meets his.

Also, there is a federal agency that regulates CU's and we will be filing a complaint and asking for an investigation with them but must wait till we are firmly on our feet financially again. We can't take any chances on retribution anywhere else.

You are all so right about cc's! We paid ours off every month, too, until the cr. union did their work on us. We are striving to get back to the monthly payoff routine. We've never had more the 2 cards, and that helps. Just last month I was able to get the 2 card banks to bring our interest rates back down to 8% from the 28% they had been charging us. It took two years to get them to back down.

I am also scrutinizing our credit reports and disputing the CU accounts. The CU response was to add more bad information and we haven't even done business with them in over a year! This is NOT fun!

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know I appreciate your input and encouragement.
Thank you!

#85984 - 08/29/06 06:19 AM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: flipperjo]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I went to your Farming by the Yard website. Really innovative idea! Have you had many takers?

Poet and essayist

#85985 - 08/29/06 10:44 PM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I could have sworn I posted this already but guess not...If you have a $5000.00 balance on a credit card that charges 22% annually and you make the minimum payment monthly of $100.00...(are you sitting down?) of that $100.00, $87.00 dollars of it goes to the INTEREST.... It will take 30 years to pay it off. My Lord!!! Teach that to our children...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#85986 - 08/30/06 07:05 AM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: chatty lady]
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
yes, Meredith, I've had a lot of takers but not enough to get into the black for this year. I am, however, using this year's journal to springboard into educational products, a line of note/greeting cards with my photographs, and as a promotional tool for the 2007 season. I have lots of work to do on that. And thanks for looking!!!

Chatty, it is a shocker when you work the numbers on credit cards - they are one of the biggest scams ever pulled on the American public.

#85987 - 08/30/06 12:11 PM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: flipperjo]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Jo,

Your site is awesome! The pictures are breath taking. Definitely do something with them!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved