The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 103 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#85967 - 08/24/06 05:54 AM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: flipperjo]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Flipperjo, your story is both eye-opening and really, really scary. Is everyone in North Dakota so corrupt? Isn't there any redress which won't cost you an arm and a leg to pursue? What happened to you is absolutely boggling and awful.

Back to Jawjaw's question: El Hubbo spends all day watching the stock market inch up and down. That's his new "job" (going on 10 years now) and he inhales the whole investment spectrum. He counts pennies. Plans his grocery shopping around this week's coupons. Never spends money on anything if he can help it. The good news is -- his financial machinations are adding a small income gain, as he's pretty conservative in his investment strategies. He also wants me to take a larger role in choosing stocks and investments zzzzz..... Thanks, but I already have a full-time job or two.

I've never been in debt. Never spent money that I didn't have. Never wrote a bad check. House and cars are paid for. Got insurance (health, car and homeowners.) Because of the nature of my business, I invest a fair amount of money on an ongoing basis for supplies.

We have an unreal number of credit cards, depending on who's offering us what at any given moment. Pay off the entire amount every month, on time.

Hardly ever buy non-business-related "stuff" although I have a nice computer. No cell phone, no cable TV, no electronic gadgets. Rent movies. Cook from scratch -- but good foods only, not junk. Most clothing bought on sale. When I travel, it's youth hostels or the back of my van for sleeping.

I've never had a lot of money, but I've always had what I think are necessities. Nice furniture, some of which I've had for 20+ years. Art work. I buy quality things to keep.

My one extravagance? A housecleaner twice a month.

Poet and essayist

#85968 - 08/24/06 11:42 AM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Wow...am I sorry I asked? Not on your life. These stories by comparison are ALL eye-openers. Jo I'd like to come up there and give those bankers a piece of my mind. Back a hundred years ago when I had a small business (outlet store) I had a leave of absence from my "other" job, and had banked with a credit union for 25 years. When I approached them one time for a loan it was like I had a disease. I was flabbergasted since I had always paid my bills, never late, yada...yada. And they said, "no can do, you're a high risk." Huh? And the reason was? Female, if you ask me...but I couldn't get them to admit that out loud.

I was forced to use CC to make inventory. This was devastating to a small biz...as I'm sure you already know...
And that was in my hometown. I've had plenty of loans with them since that time, all paid off ahead of schedule, but that one time when I really needed them to be there, they weren't. I've never gone inside THAT particular branch since then, and never will. (Like that hurts them? ha!)...

To me and with my experience in debt, CC are evil. Are the cards themselves evil? Of course not. But they become a evil presence when someone is desperate to make ends meet for whatever reason, and feel they are forced to use them to survive, like Jo ... and me.

I just cannot believe they are not regulated any more than they are. But hey, they are big business. If you think about our parent's lives compared to our lives, and whats available to us now, it seems we have it better, much better, in some sense, but in other CENTS, we do not. I'm thinking that most people paid cash for everything they owned/bought back then.

JJ

#85969 - 08/24/06 02:14 PM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Quote:

Kathy,
To what do you attribute the sound money management practices of your family? Were you raised with the same good practices around you? Did you have a "money mentor?"
JJ

My parents had very little money; my dad worked and my mom stayed home. We had only one car, a black and white tv forever, and very few "extras" - but, I never remember them talking about being down to their last nickle. (Now my Mom says they were at that point, many times)

They paid cash for everything and only had a credit card for car rentals and such. I don't remember really talking about money with them, but I must have absorbed some of it.

My hubby and I had our credit card woes when we were younger, and once I realized how long it would take to pay off a $2,000 balance paying only the minimum, I decided I would never carry a balance again. There have been times over the years that I've transferred amounts from one credit card to another, but then paid it off at the next statement.

We've always been fortunate to have jobs and health insurance that are steady. If we had health issues or family tragedies or the bad practices of Jo's bankers, I'm sure we'd be much worse off. I just can't believe how lucky we've been, and I just worry sometimes that the luck won't last forever.

Hang in there Jo, and have faith!

Kathy

#85970 - 08/24/06 07:35 PM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Jo: Just wondering, have you sought legal advice against the CU? There must be some form of legal remedy available to you in tort i.e where a CU representative undertakes a duty and is then negligent in performing that duty.

#85971 - 08/25/06 02:47 AM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
House paid for, casr paid for, no credit cards to speak of...Now if major items would stop breaking down, air conditioning, $4000.00, water heater, $850.00, TV repaqir $400.00, need entire house replumbed $2100.00, and a new car battery just last Monday $89.00. If it isn't one thing its something else again....the house and I are both growing older and needing repairs.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#85972 - 08/25/06 03:02 AM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I think each state should initiate a program for the schools and teach kids about CC AND about how to invest, how to save, and how to PAY CASH for things.

Maybe I should try to get a grant and write something for that, eh?

JJ

#85973 - 08/25/06 03:07 AM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I agree one hundred percent. No child should graduate from school not knowing how to budget money, knowing how to handle a checking/savings account and being made aware of the evils of credit cards when not handled properly. It is disgraceful that none of this is taught. To me its the most important lessons we can teach our kids to be ready for the real world..

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#85974 - 08/25/06 03:11 AM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? *DELETED* [Re: chatty lady]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Post deleted by jawjaw

#85975 - 08/25/06 05:11 AM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Eagle we won't tell your Mama. Filing for bankruptcy happens to the best of us. My parents had a friend that filed bankruptcy every 10 years or so. Each time he recovered, earned millions, and then went broke again. That was awesome.
I so agree with you ladies. One of THE most important things in life is budgeting, and they didn't teach that to me in school either. The first time I moved out and had my own apartment, I was dead broke within three months. I was so proud being on my own, that I borrowed money from friends instead of my parents,… just to avoid the "I told you so's." Now when I think back, my parents should have sat down with me and showed me a budget plan. I was like a cat thrown into a barrel of water. I've learned from that, though, and have always put money aside, that I don't touch, just in case I shouldn't sell anything for half a year or so. That's my security zone.

#85976 - 08/25/06 01:57 PM Re: Finances - Why so Scary? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Have any of you ever heard of Junior Acheivement? I was involved in High School. It was a program where we met in the evenings and made a business - a real one. Our business ended up manufacturing emergency car flashlights out of toilet plungers, believe it or not!

We learned about cost of goods, marketing, manufacturing, budgeting, selling, etc. In fact, maybe that's where I got some of my business smarts.

Since I enjoyed it so much when I was a teen, I checked into it again when I was director at an elementary charter school. The have an awesome program for all ages, so I signed up and taught grades K-6 the program at our school.

The packages for the kids are fun yet educational - they all loved coming to class. And it's amazing how much most of them really absorb and understand economics once they are exposed to the principles.

In fact, I think if I ever retire, I would love to volunteer to teach this program again.

http://www.ja.org/

Kathy

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved