The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#85830 - 08/22/06 02:35 PM Writing Workshop
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Ladies,
I need your help for a sec. If you were going to sign up for a ONE DAY workshop, in each category below, tell me which of the THREE would be MOST important to you, as far as learing. Thanks so much in giving your votes! JJ
Learning the Basics
You may choose only one (8 total votes)
Learning genres (fiction, non-fiction, historical romance, children's, etc.) with explanations on each market - 2 (25%)
Grammar is our friend (why the basics are so important) - 1 (13%)
Finding your Voice (Niche) + Don't Quit Your Day Job (Self-discipline) - 5 (63%)
What Every Writer Should Know
How to build clips or credentials (Branding yourself, groups, editors, scams) - 2 (25%)
Writing Book Proposals and Query Letters (also handling Rejections) - 2 (25%)
Edits, Editors, and Your Mom (the truth about editing) - 4 (50%)
How to Get Clips/Published
How to write award-wining Essays(includes Fillers, Humor, Greeting Cards and other items) - 6 (75%)
Traditional vs. Self-Publishing (plus resources) - 0 (0%)
When doors are closed (other overlooked resources for clips) - 2 (25%)

#85831 - 08/22/06 02:58 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: jawjaw]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I voted but to be honest, I'd like to see one day workshops on almost all of these topics.

#85832 - 08/22/06 02:59 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: TVC15]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You have no idea how helpful that ONE comment is to me. THANK YOU Robin!!!!

JJ

#85833 - 08/22/06 03:05 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: jawjaw]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
You are more than welcome. Anytime!

#85834 - 08/22/06 04:07 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: TVC15]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Same goes for me, if I was an author, or an inspiring author. Actually, I am. Hmmmm, Another interest of mine.
Anno

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#85835 - 08/22/06 05:30 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Thank you ladies...this is a great help! JJ

#85836 - 08/22/06 08:25 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Can't wait to see the results! Great topics.

#85837 - 08/23/06 03:49 AM Re: Writing Workshop
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Thank you ladies...I put a thank you in a few mintues ago, but I guess the cyber poll ate it...I do appreciate your participation!

JJ

#85838 - 08/24/06 04:11 AM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: jawjaw]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Was there a way to click on the poll to vote? Since I can't figure it out, I'll cut and paste:

Finding your Voice (Niche) + Don't Quit Your Day Job (Self-discipline)

How to build clips or credentials (Branding yourself, groups, editors, scams)

When doors are closed (other overlooked resources for clips)
-----------------------------------------------
These are my personal favorites, not necessarily what I think other people would like.

Poet and essayist

#85839 - 08/24/06 11:08 AM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You input is still very valuable, Ms M...thanks so much! The poll had ended (I just held it for one day) so that is why you couldn't vote, but this works! Muchos Gracias! Or as we say down South, Much Grass! JJ

#85840 - 08/24/06 12:15 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: jawjaw]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
JJ: Sorry I missed this one.
  • One thing I stress to writers is the importance of correct grammar and the need for editing.

With today's POD, e-books, self publishing and seemingly easier than ever possibilities, there are many writers who don't give correct grammar and editing the importance it has.

I believe many are more focused on getting their work out there than about the quality of the finished work. I get very dissapointed when I start reading and find many errors. It just turns me off!

I believe-aside from the quality of your writing style, etc., you owe it to the readers to present the material as good as can be.

And don't forget, what kind of name are you making for yourself if the grammar is incorrect?
NABBW & NAWW

#85841 - 08/24/06 12:30 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: Songbird]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You and me both, Songbird. I am amazed at the number of people who think submitting "bad" work is okay. Amazed! When you try and help them, they become offended. Hello?

Maybe I was lucky in that respect because the editors I first worked with were unforgiving. They, along with my veteran writer friends, taught me the importance of editing AND of branding yourself by the final piece you submit. Sometimes in a "in your face" kind of way. I paid attention.

Everybody makes mistakes, and I think for the most part, editors know this and make allowances, but there is no excuse for sloppy work.

Word gets around fast. And people who think editors don't talk among themselves, are fooling only themselves! Here's another tidbit. When an editor needs a fast piece to fill a need, they call their editor friends and say, "hey, you got anybody I can get a good quick write up from?" If you've been faithful and have turned in consistenly good work, guess who the editor recommends? It won't be the person who thinks typos are no big deal...

JJ

#85842 - 08/24/06 08:05 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: jawjaw]
Songbird Offline

I couldn't agree more with you, JJ! Go get 'em!
NABBW & NAWW

#85843 - 08/25/06 03:03 AM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: Songbird]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I line edit and even after someone says they have had a friend who is an avid reader check their work for them, I find mistakes on nearly every page. I am shocked at times how their storys are all over the place, no continuity. I check spelling, grammar, punctuation and sensibility of the story being told. It takes alot of time and effort but when the writer gets it back he/she knows its ready for an agent or publisher. JJ, I would still attend any and all those classes you mentioned, one can never know, learn or relearn enough to be a better writer and/or editor.....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#85844 - 08/29/06 02:07 AM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: chatty lady]
Songbird Offline

It's horrendous the mistakes I find, and I'm not as experienced as you two.

Definitely! Workshops like these are a must. Believe me, Chatty... if I lived close to JJ, I'd be attending her workshops too.
NABBW & NAWW

#85845 - 09/04/06 02:53 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: Songbird]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I missed this thread. I think all fields are valuable and needed.

My editor taught me how to self-edit but the one problem I have with it is...I have to stop myself from doing it until after a piece is finished. I would never finish that way and it stops the creativity. I love the creativity process but hate the editing.

Publishers don't want to have to groom a writer and why people send in dirty manuscripts is beyond me. They are either lazy or just don't care. I'm amazed by some of the books I've read. I have a mental red ink marker in my brain that is slashing through entire paragraphs.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#85846 - 09/04/06 03:06 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: Dianne]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
Once again I must thank you all for sharing your wisdom. I love the creativity involved in writing and would love to get to where you ladies are.

But meanwhile, I have learned sooo much from you all. For instance, I didn't know the term "clip" but I will keep reading and learning more.

The best thing about this website is that the members seem to really want to encourage others. Our Pastor's homily was on that very subject yesterday and I thought of all of you and how you are living the word of God. I see the face of Christ in each of you.

I am even thinking of signing up for a writing workshop at the local community college...thank you!!

#85847 - 09/04/06 08:32 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: 49erDonna]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Donna, you are just the nicest thing. You make me feel good about being ME! Thank you, JJ

#85848 - 09/05/06 12:59 AM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

49erDonna, I agree with the Queen, you are such a neat lady. By all means take the writing course, its a sociable opportunity to be with others that have your same feeling for writing. I have done this for too many years to count but never pass up the chance to learn more, and even teach a little.....Dianne, I have gone over several dozens of self-edited manuscripts and found that it is near impossible for the writer making the initial mistake to correct it seeing it through the same eyes...I am an editor and when I write I have an editor friend of mine edit my work. Even though I can self edit, I don't.....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#85849 - 09/05/06 02:01 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I 55 years old and I self-edit. There, I've said it. BUT....Chatty is on the money here. DO NOT let that be your last edit. EVER. EVER. EVER. Did I say ever?

You WILL NOT catch the obvious. Why? Because you've memorized the entire project. You read it as you've memorized it, not what's on the page.

And don't get Momma to edit it either. Momma loves you. She's going to say it's wonderful. If you can get someone besides Momma OR your best friend, do so. Objectivity is what you need. Someone without an emotional attachment to you. Try your Ex...only joshin'....

JJ

#85850 - 09/05/06 07:36 PM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Heck, send it to me! I only charge a dollar a page and you get the whole ball of wax. Proofing word by word, which encompasses spelling, grammar, punctuation, not to mention continuity of the content. NO, I'm not your mother who loves you but I am the expert that can ready your manuscript for an agent or publisher. Well, maybe I do love you just alittle, LOL

This has been a non-paid, non-solicited, pushy advertisement...shameless too...geesh!

Edited by chatty lady (09/05/06 07:42 PM)

#85851 - 09/06/06 01:08 AM Re: Writing Workshop [Re: jawjaw]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
Thank you Quenn JJ and chatter lady! I plan to definitely take a class. I know it will be good for me.

I truly can't believe how gung-ho I am about writing. I have a 10 minute walk from my bus stop to my office on a bikepath which runs along the edge of the bay and I find myself working out details of characters etc. I am thinking I will take my laptop to work so I can write on the bus and at lunch.

So... once again... thank you all for helping me to get excited about wrwiting.

Donna

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved