The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 198 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#84409 - 08/04/06 02:55 PM REVIEWS for Blood Tastes Lousy With Scotch.
Raven West Offline

Loc: California
Here's what the Reviewers are saying about Robin Westmillers, aka Raven West, Memoir Blood Tastes Lousy With Scotch:

Reviewer: Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews

I read to escape reality and to assure myself that there will be a "happily ever after" ending. I let other reviewers tackle the non-fiction novels. However, on rare occasions, a non-fiction book captures my attention. Such is the case with "Blood Tastes Lousy With Scotch".

What can one person do when the justice system is set up in such a way that distant relatives, lawyers, and state approved organizations can LEGALLY STEAL your parents' entire life savings and financial assets? The answer is nothing, unless that one person is ready to step up to the plate, chance losing everything they own, and happen to have a miracle or two occur. If your parents live over 3,000 miles away, the chances are worse. This is exactly what Robin Cohen Westmiller faced and won.

Ruby and Reginia Cohen grew up during the Depression Era. They worked hard all their lives tending their bakery business in Ellenville, New York. Robin Cohen Westmiller was their only child. Robin, her husband Bill, and their daughters lived in California; totally across country. As the events in this book were happening, the daughters were in school. Robin, herself, was enrolled in college, as a law student.

In the spring of 2002, Robin's mother called to inform her that Ruby had suffered a minor stroke while working at the bakery. Seventy-nine-year-old Reginia was able to take care of her husband though and did not want Robin to fly all the way to New York. The stroke forced them to sell the family business. Ruby had little or no damage physically, but his memory and mental faculties were severely impaired. Robin had no idea how badly her father was impaired though. The beginning of the end occurred in March 2004 when Ruby flew to Florida, against Reginia's urgent pleas, to visit his niece, Gail. Gail immediately began using Florida's weak justice system to imprison Ruby within the state of Florida, begin stealing all of Ruby and Reginia's financial assets, keep Ruby hidden from his immediate family, get his Power of Attorney, become his beneficiary, and more! Of course, Robin took it all to court. But Florida's court system only ended up giving guardianship to Florida's Jewish Family Service. This did NOT take Gail out of the picture, as hoped. The Jewish Family Service and several different attorneys could now begin legally draining all financial avenues. Ruby never had any idea that the people holding him in Florida were attempting to have him divorced from Reginia, take all his money, hide him from his closest family members, take possession of his home in New York, and so much more! Robin often had no idea where her father was being held or how his health was doing.

***** In this book, the author is exposing everything and everyone involved. Readers will find copies of all the documents that support Robin's experiences. All names and agencies in Florida are revealed. This includes full names of Robin's cousins, the judges, the attorneys and the names of their companies, as well as all the organizations and employees that either helped legally steal from Ruby and Reginia or helped free Ruby from being imprisoned within the state of Florida. Hopefully, this story will offer help and support to those who have been victimized so that no other family has to suffer the same. I found this to be an eye opening experience that chilled me to the core. Look out all you heartless agencies and attorneys! Author Robin Cohen Westmiller is taking names and kicking (ahem)! *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

------------------------------------------------------------
July 22, 2006
Reviewer: www.frontstreetreviews.com "Front Street Reviews" - See all my reviews
As the population ages the issues of the elderly become more widespread and crucial. Robin Cohen Westmiller has written a factual, detailed story of her family's struggle with guardianship abuse. She has courageously told the story of what she, her children and, most importantly, her parents suffered from a system not prepared to face the realities of this theft and mistreatment.

Ruby and Regina Cohen worked hard all their lives taking care of their business, their daughter and their extended family of nieces and nephews. Retirement should have been a time of relaxing together to enjoy the security of family and financial stability. A small stroke changes all that. Ruby suffers a stroke that mildly seems to alter his thought process. For many years he had spent a few weeks in Florida on vacation while Regina stayed home. His health seems to preclude another visit but calls from his niece convince him to go. Nothing his wife or daughter say can convince him that he is not in shape for the journey, not mentally or physically . In March 2004 he got a friend to drive him to the airport and flew to Florida. That was the last his wife would see him for close to 2 years.

What follows is an eye opening tale of the difficulties of fighting a system that is not set up to protect the well being of the elderly. Ms Westmiller's cousins were able to convince Ruby to file for divorce from his wife, refuse to see or speak with his daughter and granddaughters, attempt to empty his bank account and not return home. . As his health becomes worse and worse, Ruby is confined to nursing homes and hospitals. Even the court appointed guardian, the hope to change the situation, continues to drain his bank account, continues the divorce proceedings and let the cousins have a say in his life. Ms Westmiller must battle for her parents future in New York while her father is trapped in Florida from her home in California.

The inclusion of copies of all of the documents that support Ms Westmiller's experiences are a well chosen addition. While she is able to tell her story with minimal emotional slants, it is the inclusion of the actual court records, comparisons of signatures attributed to her father and financial records that make this book so powerful.

It would be wonderful to be able to annnouce that the book has a perfect, happy ending. While Ms Westmiller is able to to rescue her father from the Florida relatives, guardians and court system, the toll, financially, emotionally and physically on her parents is monumental. In less than 2 years they lose everything they has worked for their entire lives- their house, thier back accouunts and, sadly, their chance to live together. This book is a personal attempt by the author to educate others to this danger and raise the awaress of this potential tradgedy.

TCM REVIEWS

Robin C. Westmiller has long been an advocate for those who couldn’t fight for themselves. Fighting injustice was a passion that seemed to come natural to her. Still, she never thought that she would end up having to fight lawyers and family members over guardianship abuse. She definitely never thought that her own father would be the victim.

Blood Tastes Lousy with Scotch is the author’s memoirs about her battle. Ruby Cohen, the author’s father, had operated Cohen’s Quality Bakery (with its World Famous Raison Pumpernickel) in Ellenville, New York his entire adult life. Then in 2002, he suffered a minor stroke and was forced to sell the bakery. For several years, his wife took care of him without incident. A trip to Florida to visit relatives would change everything.

Blood Tastes Lousy with Scotch is an incredibly scary read. We all read about elder abuse but never think that it could happen to those we love. Still, greed will make people do crazy things. Even something as simple as a stroke can reduce someone’s normal defenses enough to throw there life into utter chaos.

#84410 - 08/05/06 12:46 AM Re: REVIEWS for Blood Tastes Lousy With Scotch. [Re: Raven West]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Great review....Got my copy today and plan to begin reading it tonight...Can't wait, your very intriguing title has me wondering...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#84411 - 08/06/06 04:01 PM Re: REVIEWS for Blood Tastes Lousy With Scotch. [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I read it yesterday. Yep. All in one day. Amazing story. Raven is the perfect person to launch the national association. I'll write a review for the September newsletter.

I am now reading Vicki's latest book!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved