The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83402 - 07/22/06 11:52 PM Re: A private question [Re: Princess Lenora]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Possibly Dianne he is a strong man who doesn't have thus does not understand these emotional crisis's. He sounds like he has come a long way from the man he was when you first began posting about him and the step kids. YOU seem to be his passion now besides his work, which is an admirable quality that allows you to live and have a good life with few wants. I say appreciate him the good things and allow him to have the weakness of not understanding some of what you do. He's come a long way baby!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#83403 - 07/23/06 12:08 AM Re: A private question [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
He knows grief. He talked about what he went through when his mother passed. But, he doesn't open up very often. I mean, we were out to dinner with some people one evening and he shared two stories. One about being marooned (sp) on a little island with two fishing buddies for four days and then, being picked up by some foreign coast guard and being thrown into their prison until their identity could be proven and how their id had been on the boat when the anchor broke and all their families had been notified that they were probably dead. I mean, he never even told me that story! And another one about being bit by a rattlesnake. To him, it wasn't that important or interesting and that's why he never shared it with me.

His picture is next to the word, logical, in the dictionary. He's a good guy. A very good guy but sometimes, I just get frustrated with him. I guess I just can't take him into my female world because he doesn't understand. To his way of thinking, you just look at everything from a logical standpoint and that's it. Me, I'm nothing but emotions and proud of it.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#83404 - 07/23/06 06:00 AM Re: A private question [Re: Dianne]
positiveliving Offline

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
Sounds to me like you are two halves of one coin Dianne!

'because life is not about the challenge' ?
www.positivelivingprogramme.com

#83405 - 07/23/06 06:55 AM Re: A private question [Re: positiveliving]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
My husband claims to be supportive of me, but on many levels he "doesn't get it." He doesn't read poetry at all, and didn't even want to come to my inauguration because "it's about poetry, isn't it?" He hasn't read any of my cancer essays, and doesn't want to. He doesn't get creativity, he doesn't get passion, and doesn't get wanting to share with other people. Luckily, I have a good in-person critique group and a lot of supportive friends. If anything, I come to BWS to support others.

Now as to my jewelry -- he gets that it makes money, so he's happy when I'm beading and selling my work. He attends most but not all craft shows with me. He drives, he helps load and unload my 500-lb. set-up, and he's fairly good with customers. He's stated a bunch of times, that if he didn't help me with the set-up, I'd probably leave him because that's all I think he's good for. Many days, that's about correct.

Poet and essayist

#83406 - 07/23/06 01:27 PM Re: A private question [Re: meredithbead]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

My hub knew I was writing but didn't question it too much. Probably thought I was passing time or something. When I was accepted for publication, he showed happiness but never read my manuscript until the hard copy was on the kitchen counter, waiting to be mailed to the publisher the next day. He sat up and read it until 2 AM. Did he give it glowing reviews. Absolutely not!

Meredith, I would never want my hub to be anywhere near when I give a talk. It would make me nervous and probably make him nervous too. He has been with me when I've received awards but that's because I made him go. He's proud of me but I'm not sure he's proud of my work and I'm fine with that. He just doesn't understand dv and most people don't. That's why we have more animal shelters than shelters for battered women in our country.

If I'm having an issue with one of my kids I have to tell him, "This is emotional so just listen for a minute." I warn him so he doesn't get that look in his eyes.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#83407 - 07/24/06 02:37 AM Re: A private question [Re: Dianne]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dianne, it isn't you. You already said it. Most people don't understand DV.

#83408 - 07/25/06 09:35 PM Re: A private question [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I posted a long response and it disappeared. Most of my response from before the site crashed, are gone.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#83409 - 07/26/06 01:29 PM Re: A private question [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dianne, here I go apologizing again. I pray we never miss another post. I'm so sorry. I know what's it's like to pur your heart and soul into a post and now it's gone. It's happened to me too. Unfortuantely, some posts from the 19th to the 23rd are all gone due to the error made by my programmer. Again, I'm sorry.

#83410 - 07/26/06 03:07 PM Re: A private question
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
When I work with people in relationships I often see frustration with partners who can't meet another person's need for one thing or another. Whether the relationship can survive depends on how important that need is and if it can be safely met outside the relationship. Each of us is along a path towards spiritual growth. It's a continuum. If we can love the other person for where he/she is and get our needs met, more growth will occur. If we can't, it's another problem.

My ex- is an alcoholic, smokes and is way over weight. Needless to say, our sex life went down the tubes. I happen to need sex in my life. Well, you can see where that all goes.

My current husband is a sweety, but not much of a striver. He works hard, but isn't the entrepreneur I am. Sometimes it's frustrating. He also doesn't talk about spiritually very much and there's some definite emotional walls. Fortunately, there's so much good going on, that I can love him as he is and get those needs met elsewhere -- safely.

Peace

PS: Dotsie, after 20+ years in the tech world, I know this stuff happens. At UPS we lost our whole tracking system one time because someone forgot to change a line of code. That brought a lot of heat until we fixed it!

#83411 - 07/26/06 03:17 PM Re: A private question [Re: Princess Lenora]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Diane, when I was married I also stopped sharing my writing with my husband. Although he was supportive in theory, it was only supportive from the angle that it might provide income. My writing, my voice itself was not supported.

I have found that I only share my writing with a few select people in the beginning simply because it is so easy for one well meaning but wrong remark to 'kill my baby' before its had time to grow and mature enough to stand on its own.

It's hard when we can't share that deepest part of ourselves with the one we should be able to share anything with. But perhaps, with time he will be able to come back to you to discuss this. Perhaps he is uncomfortable because you are waiting for his reaction in the moment. Perhaps he needs time to process what you've written and wants to bring you a thought out supportive measured response.... ?

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved