The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8313 - 01/22/04 05:23 AM Sheep
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Well...y'all were talking all these citified jobs so I decided to throw some reality in the mix.

I want to let the sheep graze in the yard but Dave says no. He says it looks like "poor white trash". I say no it doesn't because we don't have (a) a car up on blocks or (b) a recliner on the front porch. He was not amused.

So...while we're gone, my friend has instructions to let the sheep graze in the yard. Why not? We've got a LOT of good green pasture in the yard and the sheep could use the nutrition. Just, for the love of heaven and all that's holy, MOVE the sheep back to their pasture before we come home! <g>

Hey, at least the horses are going to stay in their pastures!

#8314 - 02/13/04 04:54 PM Re: Sheep

Lambing season has started and there's a fine white/gray/chocolate ram lamb on the ground. He's strong and healthy and loving life already. He was born Tuesday morning on the pasture and then both were moved to a horse stall. Today it's supposed to be overcast but no precip so both will be moved outdoors.

One of my young friends was here and the lamb is named in my friend's honor - Joey Rambles <g>.

YEAH! new life and the cycle begins anew.

#8315 - 02/13/04 07:20 PM Re: Sheep
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What a life! To be smack dab in the middle of so many blessings. Thanks for sharing the farm life with us. I got peaceful just reading your post.

#8316 - 02/13/04 10:34 PM Re: Sheep
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I too received a nice visual with this birthing. Thanks so much for sharing. I always look forward to your post.

#8317 - 02/21/04 01:47 AM Re: Sheep

Two more lambs born this morning! Our of a chocolate mother and white father there are white twins, boy and girl, on the ground. Last year this ewe gave me chocolate babies. I wish I understood genetics better. The ewe had the first ram lamb on one side of the pasture, then walked across the entire pasture to have the female lamb. She dried off the boy, cleaned it up, etc. and then left it. Sheesh! Thankfully, Shadow, my Rhodesian Ridgeback, is a frustrated wanna be mother and she found the first baby. I called Shaddie and she brought the boy to me simply because he was confused and thought Shaddie was his mother. He kept trying to nurse and Shad would stand, very patiently, while the boy looked, in vain, for a teat. They finally made their way to me and I carried him to his mother across the pasture where she had just given birth to his sister.

Picture this...me walking hunched over with a lamb in either hand, walking backwards so the mother could hear and see her babies. She then followed us up the hill and into the barn. I gave her water and corn and helped the babies find the teats. The girl had trouble sucking so I stripped the teats of the waxy string so the babies could grab hold and get some milk. Although, the boy had already nursed and gotten some precious colustrum.

Anyway, all three are protected in the barn and the rest of the flock are in a short lot. Unhappy all because they want to be out on the hill. It's supposed to snow tonight and, frankly, I just don't want to go out on the hill tomorrow and search in the snow for babies. It's easier on me and them to no matter what they think.

Anyone want to help name them?

#8318 - 03/09/04 01:27 AM Re: Sheep

More lambs...a total of 11 and it's sheer joy to watch them cavort in the pasture. I'm feeding a few with a bottle just because...
I adore new lambs! Sadly, 2 died so I have 9 living and all but 3 are boys. sigh. But, they will make fabulous fleece boys so all is not lost.

Harley and Neon are twin brother and sister.
Joey Rambles is a single.
I'm still waiting for the others to tell me their names.

#8319 - 03/09/04 02:30 AM Re: Sheep
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Just a couple suggestions for names. Decided to look up white in the Thesaurus and came up with:

Pearly
Alabaster
Chalky
Ivory
Pasty
Cotton
Snowy
Frost
Milky
Whitey

Just a few. I would give anything to hold and feed a baby lamb. They are so precious and one of the reasons being a vegetarian works for me. You're so lucky...

#8320 - 03/09/04 04:27 AM Re: Sheep
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
AHEM...Would someone please tell me what's wrong with the name JAW JAW?

#8321 - 03/12/04 08:45 AM Re: Sheep
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I don't think Thistle is far enough south for jawjaw! So glad to see you back! [Big Grin]

#8322 - 03/12/04 01:27 AM Re: Sheep
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
A little bit of doggerel on the subject of lambs..

Jaw Jaw had a little lamb
Whose fleece was black as soot
It went everywhere that Queenie went
Except into the toot

It followed her to work one day
Which was against the rule -
It did the work so she could chat
Queen Jaw Jaw is no fool!

[Roll Eyes]

Hope you are on the mend, Jaw Jaw. (Maybe this is a good chance to do more writing?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved