The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#82124 - 07/10/06 12:16 AM A 90th Birthday Party!
Pam R. Offline

We are celebrating my Mom's 90th at the end of the month. I am presently making a collage of old and new pics of family and friends. Some are very, very old and I had them re-done. They look lovely. Does anyone have any other great ideas for a 90th Birthday that they could share? I want it to be the "perfect" day for Mom. Thanks!

#82125 - 07/10/06 01:29 AM Re: A 90th Birthday Party! [Re: Pam R.]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
One thing we did at our wedding a few years ago, which turned out to be very popular and memorable, was that instead of clinking glasses to get us to kiss, people had to come to the microphone and tell stories. Almost everyone in the room eventually came and told a story about either hubby or myself or both of us. It was wonderful...lots of good memories, laughter and comraderie. Maybe your Mom would enjoy hearing everyone tell (good!) stories about her and her life. Tell her your favourite memories of growing up, your favourite trips with her, your favourite foods that she cooked.

I remember too how much my Mom and Dad enjoyed it when we made up a special book for their 50th anniversary...each of the children and grandchildren wrote about our favourite memories with Mom and Dad.

(Maya Angelou)

#82126 - 07/10/06 02:04 AM Re: A 90th Birthday Party! [Re: Eagle Heart]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
For my mother-in-law's 90th, we had surprise guests. Two of her sons are priests and a daughter is a nun. Mother-in-law is of the old school and pretty much resolved to the idea that her children are cloistered and may not be able to come. But arrangements were made and as we all filed into the chapel for Mass she shrieked with delight when the sons came out of the sacristy to concelebrate for her 90th. A further delight when the daughter went up to do the reading. Maybe you can ask your Mom if there is anyone in particular she would like to see again. Then you can invite this person around as a surprise guest. If there are grandchildren, a little programme of song and dance by them would also be a good idea.

#82127 - 07/10/06 02:09 AM Re: A 90th Birthday Party! [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Oh, a Family Tree as well would be a good one. Mother-in-law took joy in going through the 4-generation descendancy chart.

#82128 - 07/10/06 02:32 AM Re: A 90th Birthday Party! [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
You could ask each guest to bring an index card with a special memory they have of your Mom, or something special she's told them over the years, or a memory they've shared together. The cards can be read by each individual, and then given to her after the ceremony for a keepsake. Guarantee you she will read them over and over.

And how wonderful for you and for her! Please tell her Happy Birthday from us all, won't you?

JJ

#82129 - 07/10/06 01:26 PM Re: A 90th Birthday Party! [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is so much fun. Eagle, I love your idea. The only time I've seen that done is funerals, and that's way too late.

Now this is if you're really crafty. We attended a 50th anniversary party thrown by Micki (she frequents the forums and was a big post-er when we first launched). She's an amazing person. Here's what she did. She mailed a fabric square to everyone attending and asked them to decorate it with a memory or quote in any fashion they chose. Then everyone had to mail it back well before the party so she could have it made in to a quilt. She presented it to them at the party and it was a huge hit. She had it present at the funeral home for both of her parents when they died.

I think I wrote with a Sharpie (I don't do crafts well), but you should have seen some of the squares people created. It was one of the sweetest gifts I've ever seen.

Pam, at Mom and Dad's 5oth, we had sheets of paper on all the tables for guests to write a favorite memory. We were pleasantly surprised by all the people who did so.

Whatever you do, have fun! Sounds like it will be a fun party. Be sure to take lots of pictures. One thing we regretted about Mom and Dad's party was that we didn't hire a professional photographer. We took tons of photos, but none of the group family photos turned out like we had hoped. Oh, we also put cameras on every table too.

#82130 - 07/10/06 02:32 PM Re: A 90th Birthday Party!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

We made pictures at my granny's 90th birthday party and then put them on a CD and sent them to everyone that attended. It's a great keepsake and celebration of their life. Course Granny wasn't going anywhere. She stayed around for another 8 years. Bless her heart. I still miss her!

JJ

#82131 - 07/10/06 09:37 PM Re: A 90th Birthday Party! [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
WOW JJ, you had her for a long time, thats wonderful.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#82132 - 07/11/06 12:41 AM Re: A 90th Birthday Party! [Re: chatty lady]
Pam R. Offline

Thank you all for some great ideas. Dotsie, I have heard of the quilt idea. A friend at work did it for a relative. I am a bit craft impaired but I have a niece-in-law who is wonderful! She would love to help with anything. I also like the paper on the table for instant memories at the party. I think we will do that. My uncle dropped over tonight with lots of pictures of years ago. They are marvelous! Those old folks had gorgeous pictures done at studios...it amazes me! I'm having fun already just preparing for the big day. Thanks for all your good wishes.

#82133 - 07/11/06 12:57 AM Re: A 90th Birthday Party! [Re: Pam R.]
chickadee Offline

Great ideas. I have one to add. This was done at a nieces wedding and it was absolutely beautiful. All the photos(through the years) from very young until that day were put on a slideshow projector and we all watched it on the wall as a beautiful a song played in the background. Pam you could have this done with all the photos you want to include. Don't expect a dry eye in the house though. It truly was beautiful.
Happy Birthday to your Mom, Pam. May she celebrate many more.

chick

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved