The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8146 - 01/25/03 08:28 AM Starting Over
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
My mom started a full service yarn shop in our area 16-17 yrs ago. I joined forces with her about 9 yrs ago. At one time we had 3 stores - two in our town and 1 in the town to the south of us, but as my mother got older and even more set her ways, it was obvious to me that I had a choice. I was either going to continue to work with my mom or have a relationship with my mom -- but it wasn't going to be both. I choose a relationship with her and quit the shop.

A few months ago she finally closed the shop and was going to just "give" it away -- so I took it. I put everything in a warehouse for awhile and now its stored in my home. I want to get started back up with it, but with lack of capital -- I need to start slowly.

I've done really well with eBay in the past - selling things that didn't "go" in the shop - so I will start back with that, but I want to get back into the community too. I need to start small, as I said, so my thoughts are to try and get into the nursing homes and assisted living facilities -- getting a "knitting club" started for those ladies that can't get out any more. In the past I've tried going to the schools so young girls can get lessons and have something creative and productive to do, but the schools in our area weren't very responsive at all, but once I get going I'll try that again. BUT, I'm not going to make any money doing that because most of that will be volunteer due to lack of funds on my clients part ;-) This idea is more along the "heart" lines -- not the pocketbook lines ;-)

I have the inventory, wholesale contacts, and experience, so that's one thing I don't have to worry about. I can contact all our past customers and let them know I'm back in business, but since I can't afford the start up costs of getting into a store front, I don't have a proper place to service them. A bank loan is out and I don't have any rich friends ;-) Suggestions please !!

So ladies, anyone out there want to adopt me ??? ;-)

#8147 - 01/24/03 11:44 PM Re: Starting Over
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Hmmmm, let me think on this one.

Also, tell us about ebay. Were you selling items from the shop online?

#8148 - 01/25/03 04:36 AM Re: Starting Over
lionspaaw Offline

eBay is a great way to make money -- if you have the time to spend doing it. I was, and will be starting tomorrow, selling from home. It's very inexpensive to have a store and as long as you do your homework and ask lots of questions -- you can make a decent return! You don't have to have a store though - and in that case - it's even less expensive.

By using PayPal, you can, for a small fee, accept credit cards. The postal service and UPS give you access to the shipping rates all over the world. All you need is a scale to weigh your item.

The key to success, I think, is to treat your "customer" right - the way you would like to be treated. Bad feedback can ruin you.

If anyone's interested in selling something - I suggest you give it a try. Need help - Email me and I'll try to help you get started.

#8149 - 01/27/03 05:04 PM Re: Starting Over
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Have you thought of doing searches online for knitting? I bet you could find some interesting ideas of other ways to get the word out about your merchandise.

Also, check with the U.S. Postal Service to find the least expensive ways to mail what you sell online. They have a Small Business Department that is willing to work with you so you know the cheapest way to package and mail items.

#8150 - 01/28/03 05:29 AM Re: Starting Over
noonabras Offline

Loc: harford county,md.
My mom is living in a senior complex in Fla. She's 69 and is much younger than the gals teaching her how to crochet and knit "lap blankets" for the senior citizen centers.What I find sad is that what you learned from your mom needs to be taught to others or else it is a craft that might be lost. Is there any way you could teach classes? With the material you still have you could go into a rec council and maybe build a customer base that way. Just a thought, good luck!

#8151 - 01/28/03 05:01 PM Re: Starting Over
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
At the super bowl party on Sunday night several women were talking about knitting. It seems that quite a few woman my age are taking it up. One of the women there has been knitting since she was a child and is quite good. They were talking about how there are only 2 local shops and both are very pricey. The avid knitter uses very high quality yarns apparently and they are expensive. I bet these women would love to have a source for their supplies. If you like I'll get their email addresses for you. Let me know.

#8152 - 01/28/03 10:52 PM Re: Starting Over
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kathryn reminded me that I have 2 friends that knit. I have encouraged one of them to get in this FORUM because she wants to post "KNITTING", under "HOBBIES" to see if she can meet other knitters. I will tell her about you and I will also tell my other knitting friend. Is it okay to give them your email address? Meantime, I will ask my friend to get in here so you can communicate this way too.

#8153 - 01/29/03 02:31 AM Re: Starting Over
lionspaaw Offline

I would love to have your friends contact me -- I carry the expensive European yarns -- the stuff you can't buy at Wal-Mart ;-) but I also carry the good inexpensive yarns too, plus the patterns and knitting/crochet needles and hooks.

We (mom and I) give lessons -- and you're right about having to pass the craft on or lose it, but life's changed since our grandma's time -- life is so hectic and busy that it usually takes our mom's getting old and in nursing homes or arthritis keeping them from their hobby -- that gets the women our age interested in learning -- so they have the knowledge to pass it along to their girls.

We've shipped yarn to just about every state -- and we had a great deal of customers in Canada. I've also met lots of good people through my eBay store -- including Australia ;-)

I think a knitting topic would be kewl ;-) -- DOTSIE ???? ;-)

Thanks ladies -- you've sparked the interest back in me ;-)

#8154 - 01/29/03 06:03 PM Re: Starting Over
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I am happy to add a new forum for knitting. We can always give it a try. You could be the one who keeps it going by replying to the women who post. That is cool with me. Should it go under WORK or SOCIAL? I am thinking social, but if it goes under work it has better visibility. No, I think it should go under SOCIAL...what do you think?

#8155 - 01/29/03 07:15 PM Re: Starting Over
lionspaaw Offline

Oh SOCIAL definitely -- knitting is for pleasure -- an escape from work ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved