The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 193 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#78235 - 09/05/05 06:58 PM yard art?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anyone in here into yard art? If so, what do you have?

#78236 - 09/06/05 07:57 AM Re: yard art?
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
Dotsie,
I've got yard junk- a gargolye that sticks his tongue out, a metal flying pig that's a wind chime, 2 other pigs, a laughing elf lady, a bird bath and stepping stones the grandkids decorated with their handprints{one little butt print- but we won't go there} And bells- rain bells. My garden is a kitty jungle so it probably has legless grasshoppers and dead vole decorating bushes too

#78237 - 09/05/05 10:31 PM Re: yard art?
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I am waiting to redo my yard nxt year! [Smile]

We currently have a pink flamingo in one potted plant & a snail in another........plus a "welcome" sign hanging....... [Smile]

There is a house around the corner that is covered in knomes....I burst out laughing when I saw it! I drove past that house hundreds of times but never noticed it!!! [Smile]

#78238 - 09/05/05 10:48 PM Re: yard art?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I love yard art...gargoyles, flamingos, gnomes, elves, and especially stepping stones with tiny butt prints on them would so delight me! But we live in a big housing development with dozens of small children playing around here all the time. We've already caught some curious ones poking around our backyard (and still have fermenting grape juice stains spattered all over our back door, but that's another story), so we've learned not to keep anything dangerous or more tempting than cucumbers and flowers in our yard.

But I take great delight in looking at other people's yard art, and in imagining what I would put out there if it was possible...

[ September 05, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#78239 - 09/06/05 04:55 AM Re: yard art?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have tons of white gravel and two 15 feet high and as wide around as a car, Oleander bushes. I have a hand painted bird bath and my two babies(dogs)are buried out there. Large concrete block fence circles the entire back yard. Oh and I almost forgot my wind chimes.

#78240 - 09/07/05 08:26 PM Re: yard art?
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
We can't wait till we are able to redo the entire yard!!! I had my dream come true when they tore out all the bushes in the front yard during our remodel!!! [Smile] LOL!

I want to do something simple in front.....w/ afew little dodads. [Smile] The side of the house I want to put a path of white rocks & flowers along the front of the fence.

The backyard I just need to get my grass to come back to life!!! The landscaper fertilized & it's nothing buy crab grass & weeds!!! Everyone who uses him is FUMING!!!!!!!! We also need to patch up puppy holes [Smile]

If our new neighbors are nice...I will make the backyad nice!! [Smile] LOL!! The ones who are moving got all huffy when we put up a HUGE SHED & told us their garden wouldn't grow!!! In their for sale ad it listed that their yard was PROFESSIONALY LANSCAPED. Um....yeah...right...& you cut the bushes when? 2 years ago?!!! [Smile]

I haven't had time to take care of our yard the past few years because of my mom/grandmother. I was working in their yard first....now I will be able to do all sorts of pretty stuff!! And make it my own [Smile]

#78241 - 09/08/05 10:06 PM Re: yard art?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Small creek in our back yard, & for the past several years, beavers.
You would not believe the dam they have put together. [Frown]
What damage these guys can do, and overnight in most cases.
Every tree, shrub you name it, has wire wrapped around, 4 ft. tall. Otherwise they just chew over the top, (last wire was 2ft. tall).
Last couple of years the local paper has been out and interviewed all of us, we were hoping the county might help....not. Hired a couple of trappers, (several times) only 1 beaver was caught. One out of countless, go figure.
Strict laws concerning the well-being of our furry little pests.
Neighbor two doors down, was taking the garbage out thru her garage last year. Soda can fell from her shelf, reached down picked the can up, then noticed the copperhead staring her, from the shelf. YIKES ! ! !
Same day her hubby, blew that beaven dam up.
Water gets high and the snakes come out. Really...really hate snakes!!! [Eek!]
Beavers, rebuild so fast it's not even funny.
Virginia has really beautiful trees, just wish all of mine wasn't covered in chicken wire. [Roll Eyes]

Brenda

#78242 - 09/11/05 10:48 PM Re: yard art?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
We have deer and wild turkey that walk along a trail above our back yard. They're wonderful.

Can't have a bird bath or it would double for a cat feeder. I have a ton of roses, hydrangea, and wysteria. So fragrant in the spring.

The deer were munching on my front landscaping so I sprayed deer repelant on everything...or I thought it was. Turns out I picked up the wrong container and had sprayed them with Round Up.

#78243 - 09/12/05 01:14 AM Re: yard art?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Brenda, what a great story. I have seen beaver dams on the property our church owns. They can really do damage. We have a Bible Camp on this property every summer. One of the favorite activities is stream walking. One year we couldn't do it because the dam caused the water to be way too deep for the little kids.

Dianne, read those labels! What a mistake. Did you kill everything?

Yard art- the reason I asked is because recently we were the brunt of a practical joke. My husband once shared with his mom that her liked lighthouses. Since then Ross was the luck recipient of all gifts "lighthouse". He got some doozies too. Some of the pictures and coasters weren't bad, but then my sister-in-law/brother-in-law got in on the action because they new Ross didn't really love, nor want all that lighthouse stuff. They thought it was funny so he started receiving cookie jars, lamps, sweatshirts, etc. All either shaped like lighthouses, or stamped with lighthouses.

This became a big family joke. Ross finally told his mom that he liked lighthouses, but enough already. Meantime, sis and bro couldn't stop the gag gift giving.

Ross turned 50 the day his mom went in the hospital. She died the next morning. Ross knew she still had one gift to give him, but he didn't know what it was.

Later that week while being out to dinner with all the family members, we arrived home to find an eight foot lighthouse in our yard surrounded by rocks on the bottom and a very tacky light rotating the yard.

BIL and SIL were hiding in the yard to hear our reaction. It was absolutely hysterical. The gift was from his Mom too. BIL and SIL shared with her what they were doing, and she said she wanted in on it. The plan was for them to all place it on our yard the night of Ross' 50th birthday, but that's the night she became sick and died.

So needless to say, we have a lovely piece of yard art gracing our back yard. Well, at least until yesterday. We put it in the shed because we're having a shower here next week. The plan is to get it out every year on Ross's birthday in memory of his mom.

My yard art consists of pots of flowers, a bird bath and a couple stepping stones in the garden. I'm a plain jane.

#78244 - 09/12/05 05:56 PM Re: yard art?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
What a beautiful story. Bittersweet. This would make a wonderful chapter in a book.

Yep Dotsie, pretty much killed everything. Expensive mistake and I was too embarrassed to tell the landscape guy what happened so I just pretended I didn't know why everything died.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved