The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#75063 - 08/15/05 08:39 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Queenie, you are a real think tank. Awesome ideas!

#75064 - 09/23/05 10:49 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
777shar Offline

Loc: Daytona, Florida
I'm not quite sure what just happened, but here I am--since high school English is my field, amongst others, I'll add a few words, a few months later. Someone mentioned becoming a certified teacher at the high school level--be prepared to be a disciplinarian all of the time. Peer pressure is winning. I prefer being around students that want to be educated. If you fihd the right school system, perhaps. But, it seems to me that if you really care, you find that many higher ups don't--so I finally bid it adieu with much consternation.

#75065 - 09/24/05 10:56 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

777shar, so what are you doing these days?

The women I know whao teach prefer to work at private or parochial schools becaue the kids tend to be better disciplined. Of course they don't make nearly the same amount of money as they would working for the county...

#75066 - 09/30/05 10:32 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
author from Maine Offline

Hi,

I'll be speaking at the New Jersey conference next weekend, about building synopsis ladders to reinforce your story synopsis. I recently did this talk at Ithaca New York.

Diane

#75068 - 10/12/05 01:56 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Erica Miner Offline

Loc: Southern CA
I'm teaching a seminar on Journaling in Films, giving examples of how journals have been used to create captivating movies. It will be for the CineWomen group in L.A. I'm really excited about it. I've done a lot of journaling classes, but this is the first one focusing on screenwriting.

#75069 - 10/12/05 02:03 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I'm not "teaching" but I'm giving a talk titled, "So, you want to write humor, eh?" at the Book Em Festival, at 11:00 Saturday, Oct. 22.

I'm excited about that!

JJ

#75070 - 10/13/05 12:42 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Erica, that sound really interesting. How did you do your research? It sounds involved.

jawjaw, oh how I wish I could be there to hear you speak. We have to get you a speaking gig in Baltimore!

#75071 - 10/17/05 01:03 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
dssquirt Offline

Loc: Brainerd Minnesota
My husband and I teach home landscaping classes, along with an assortment of plant related classes through our local community education. It has been a great experience.

I have signed up to teach a class on "Getting Your Website Noticed". However, only 4 people have signed up so I will probably cancel the class. There is generally at least one person who doesn't show and I don't know if I want to prepare all of the materials for three people.

#75072 - 10/17/05 05:32 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

dssquirt, do you have a landscaping business?

This is a little off topic, but I'm considering an indoor herb garden. Is it best to sit them in direct, or indirect sun? Do you know?

#75073 - 10/28/05 09:12 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I've been on the road and haven't been on Dotsie's forums in a while, but I love catching up with everyone. What a talented & interesting group! How wonderful that you're sharing your gifts with others.

Maryanne-- I taught public high school English in McLean, VA and then did a long-term substitute teaching stint at a middle school in Westport, CT. If you need moral support or lesson plans, just e-mail me. I'm one of those oddballs who love adolescents. I agree with 777shar that you've got to be prepared to be a disciplinarian, but I always found that if you respect the kids and make your teaching relevant to them, they behave reasonably well. I admit that I was teaching in upper-middle class school districts, which probably makes a difference; but I also taught at an inner city community college and found the same combination of respect & relevance worked there, too.

Although I quit teaching to write full-time in 2001, I'm still a teacher at heart. I travel around the country doing book talks, Defying Gravity workshops, and giving speeches on such topics as (1) being shamelessly ourselves--caring deeply about others, but not caring a hoot what they think of our choices ("If You're Gonna Make It in This World, You've Gotta Sound Like Who You Are"); (2) making a difference ("Women of Vision: From Finding a Voice to Making a Difference"); and (3) challenging the popular conception that it's selfish to follow our hearts ("Transforming Passion into Purpose").

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more of these postings. [Wink]

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved