The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#75033 - 05/17/05 09:30 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
I teach private music lessons (piano, recorder and harpsichord) and writing. I have a teen writing group that was supposed to be a 5 day class a year ago and several of the kids refused to quit. They asked me to continue it and we still meet every two weeks for writing exercises and critiques.
I used to teach adult classes on one of my favorite subjects: women in medieval history.
Though I love to teach, I have to say, I'm with Dianne also--I love attending classes. I spent a lot of time returning to college and was actually sad when I finally graduated at the age of 37. I keep thinking I could go back for my masters but now I'm having too much fun as a writer, plus we're trying to get 2 kids through college at the moment.

#75034 - 05/17/05 08:09 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dahti, I bet you love that teen writing class. That sounds like so much fun. Do they write from the heart. Have you ever read Ophelia Speaks, or The Secret Lives of Teens? They're great books jam-packed with teen voices.

#75035 - 05/17/05 08:52 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
Dotsie--I do love the teen writing class. Interestingly, all the ones that begged to go on are homeschoolers and they do write from the heart. And they're amazingly creative. I have read Ophelia Speaks (definitely a good book) but not The Secret Life of Teens. I'll have to go check it out of the library. Thanks.
The two books I'm finishing writing now are both young adult novels. YA is one of my favorite reading areas. I may be 53 but I also can still think like a teen!

#75036 - 05/18/05 05:18 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Lori Hein Offline

Loc: Boston
For the past three years, I've been substitute teaching one day a week in my local public school system. I teach kindergarten through 6th grade. It's very fulfilling, but I tell you, I've developed incredible respect for teachers. They have one hard, exhausting job. They help fuel sales of Tylenol.

And, I've begun guest lecturing in journalism at the college level. The professors bring me into their intro to journalism classes so the students can hear from someone who's out there writing for a living every day. They ask me to "reinforce" such notions as 1) learn proper grammar before writing a novel 2) check your work and your research before filing your story with the editor and 3) learn and use the conventions, like AP style, that the rest of the world uses. Write well, then get out of the editor's way. The professors bring me in to give the future scribes a reality check. It's great fun.

#75037 - 05/19/05 04:59 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Last year I taught a course in songwriting for non-musicians to a group of writers. I asked for boomer prayers and it went so well, that they asked me to do it for an even bigger group this year.
Well, I'm supposed to do it on Saturday so if anyone has a spare moment, please pray for me again. I need miracles for sure.
Thanks to all the praying boomers for prayers that thunder in heaven.
smile

#75038 - 05/19/05 07:20 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Smile, you'll be a hit for sure. Adding prayers here. BTW your mailbox is full.

chick

#75039 - 05/19/05 07:30 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
smilinize Offline

Chick, Thanks for the prayers. I need them for sure. I think I emptied my email box.
smile

#75040 - 05/20/05 08:12 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
smile, I've got you covered. I'll send boomer prayers your way. Is this the one you used the worm for? Can you tell us more?

#75041 - 05/20/05 08:24 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
smilinize Offline

This is the conference I use the worm for, but the speaking thing is a part of the whole thing. Lots of famous authors there and other really intelligent folks.
I'm going to fake it. My thing is just for fun, but everyone is still talking about last year when you guys prayed for me and there was a major miracle (like I didn't do anything extremely stupid such as falling off the stage or burping into the microphone or something).
Thanks for the prayers. I hope you'll keep them going. They WORK!
smile

#75042 - 05/21/05 05:36 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Lori Hein Offline

Loc: Boston
Prayers and good wishes coming your way.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved