The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#75019 - 05/09/05 06:14 PM Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
If so, what are your topics, or classes?

If not, what would you like to teach?

#75020 - 05/10/05 08:44 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I've been teaching a lot recently for some reason.
I've taught Dramatic Story Structure several times, Poetry Types and Structure here and there, Grammar in Fiction, Active to Passive Verbs, and Songwriting for Non-musicians. I'm working on a thing for writing a Bible based Creativity plan.

I'm teaching the Songwriting thing again in a few weeks for a large group and boy do I ever need prayer.

What are you doing Dotsie?
Inquiring Boomers want to know.
smile

#75021 - 05/10/05 04:47 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Songwriting for non-musicians sounds interesting, cool... [Wink] like the perfect class for me. I've never taken a songwriting class and I am not a musician.

[Smile] I'll be praying for you, Smile!

#75023 - 05/12/05 06:56 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Erica Miner Offline

Loc: Southern CA
I've been teaching and workshopping all aspects of Journaling, for writers group, bookstores and the Learning Annex (the latter starting this summer.) I never realized how much of a demand there was for this topic, but the response has been great. So many people would like to Journal but are lacking motivation and inspiration. That's my job, to provide them with that 'spark.' Whenever I get comments like, 'I stopped Journaling and couldn't find the motivation to go back to it until I heard you speak' - that is MY inspiration!

#75024 - 05/14/05 06:14 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Boy, my thoughts on the subject are quite a bit different than those shared here.

I am considering taking courses to become a certified teacher.

I have been a business administrator for 25 years now and thought I might like teaching it on the high school level. I don't have the time left to earn a doctorate and teach ont he college level.

The change of venue might be a real kick.

I also here the pension isn't bad although I am running out of time for that so I better hurry.

What do you all think about a mid life or later in life change like that?

Given less pay?

Lynn

#75025 - 05/14/05 06:29 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I like to attend classes, not teach them! Always open to learning.

#75027 - 05/14/05 08:19 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smile, you have such diverse interests, and are blessed in every area. You go girl.

Song, I've heard your CD. You don't need classes girlfriend.

Speaker, good for you to share your knowledge of writing. Do you teach parenting classes? I did when the kids were little. I loved it. That's when our prayer group developed. Some of the gals taking the class decided we needed to pray for our families. We've been meeting Monday mornings when school is in session for maybe 13 years.

Erica, how long have you journaled? What do you do with all your journals? What are you going to have someone do with them when you die? I just had this conversation with a friend yesterday. I'm passionate about prayer and journaling. I don't know where I would be without either.

Lynn, life's about passion. I know you aren't happy with your current job and boss. Read this article in Time this week and then go for it!

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101050516/story.html

#75028 - 05/14/05 08:43 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
ariadne54 Offline

Loc: WV
Hi, all,
I am seeing there are so many talented and intelligent women here, pursuing their own interestes, and this is truly inspiring to me.
Lynn...in my mid 30's I went back to school for my teaching certificate. I started teaching full time around the age of 40. I teach middle school art, grades 6,7,8. I love it, and I can tell you, from my perspective, that teaching allows time for other pursuits, as in my case, creating my own art. Since you are a gifted writer, you would have time for that also.
ARI

#75030 - 05/17/05 07:23 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I recently taught a church at class titled, "Finding Your Golden Nugget of Faith". It was offered through our Adult Education programs. It was a three week course instructing people on how to fit Christianity into their already busy schedules. I had a good time preparing and teaching.

I would love to begin speaking about boomer women. Another thing to add to my to do list.

Ari, our public school system has excellent Art curriculum. I am always amazed at the work the kids are capable of creating with guidance. Do you like your job? Wow, middle school is a tough time for kids. Do you become involved in their private lives?

#75031 - 05/16/05 09:28 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Songbird Offline

Well Dotsie, thanks for the vote of confidence in me regarding songwriting!

[Cool] I'm glad to learn there are so many talented women here.

[Razz] As a girl I dreamed of becoming a teacher. I teach a sabbath school class for 10-12 year olds each week. I've always been a sabbath school teacher, varying ages. But my favorite is juniors and teens.

[Cool] But seems like lately I'm spending more time one on one, ministering to women...

[Wink] I'm also considering and preparing for a writer's workshop for women in church who want to write for the devotional book. Not sure when that will take place yet, but since they've seen my devotional articles and other things I write, many have asked so I'm getting ready and hope to have it on my calendar soon.

#75033 - 05/17/05 09:30 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
I teach private music lessons (piano, recorder and harpsichord) and writing. I have a teen writing group that was supposed to be a 5 day class a year ago and several of the kids refused to quit. They asked me to continue it and we still meet every two weeks for writing exercises and critiques.
I used to teach adult classes on one of my favorite subjects: women in medieval history.
Though I love to teach, I have to say, I'm with Dianne also--I love attending classes. I spent a lot of time returning to college and was actually sad when I finally graduated at the age of 37. I keep thinking I could go back for my masters but now I'm having too much fun as a writer, plus we're trying to get 2 kids through college at the moment.

#75034 - 05/17/05 08:09 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dahti, I bet you love that teen writing class. That sounds like so much fun. Do they write from the heart. Have you ever read Ophelia Speaks, or The Secret Lives of Teens? They're great books jam-packed with teen voices.

#75035 - 05/17/05 08:52 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
Dotsie--I do love the teen writing class. Interestingly, all the ones that begged to go on are homeschoolers and they do write from the heart. And they're amazingly creative. I have read Ophelia Speaks (definitely a good book) but not The Secret Life of Teens. I'll have to go check it out of the library. Thanks.
The two books I'm finishing writing now are both young adult novels. YA is one of my favorite reading areas. I may be 53 but I also can still think like a teen!

#75036 - 05/18/05 05:18 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Lori Hein Offline

Loc: Boston
For the past three years, I've been substitute teaching one day a week in my local public school system. I teach kindergarten through 6th grade. It's very fulfilling, but I tell you, I've developed incredible respect for teachers. They have one hard, exhausting job. They help fuel sales of Tylenol.

And, I've begun guest lecturing in journalism at the college level. The professors bring me into their intro to journalism classes so the students can hear from someone who's out there writing for a living every day. They ask me to "reinforce" such notions as 1) learn proper grammar before writing a novel 2) check your work and your research before filing your story with the editor and 3) learn and use the conventions, like AP style, that the rest of the world uses. Write well, then get out of the editor's way. The professors bring me in to give the future scribes a reality check. It's great fun.

#75037 - 05/19/05 04:59 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
smilinize Offline

Last year I taught a course in songwriting for non-musicians to a group of writers. I asked for boomer prayers and it went so well, that they asked me to do it for an even bigger group this year.
Well, I'm supposed to do it on Saturday so if anyone has a spare moment, please pray for me again. I need miracles for sure.
Thanks to all the praying boomers for prayers that thunder in heaven.
smile

#75038 - 05/19/05 07:20 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Smile, you'll be a hit for sure. Adding prayers here. BTW your mailbox is full.

chick

#75039 - 05/19/05 07:30 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
smilinize Offline

Chick, Thanks for the prayers. I need them for sure. I think I emptied my email box.
smile

#75040 - 05/20/05 08:12 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

smile, I've got you covered. I'll send boomer prayers your way. Is this the one you used the worm for? Can you tell us more?

#75041 - 05/20/05 08:24 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
smilinize Offline

This is the conference I use the worm for, but the speaking thing is a part of the whole thing. Lots of famous authors there and other really intelligent folks.
I'm going to fake it. My thing is just for fun, but everyone is still talking about last year when you guys prayed for me and there was a major miracle (like I didn't do anything extremely stupid such as falling off the stage or burping into the microphone or something).
Thanks for the prayers. I hope you'll keep them going. They WORK!
smile

#75042 - 05/21/05 05:36 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Lori Hein Offline

Loc: Boston
Prayers and good wishes coming your way.

#75043 - 05/21/05 05:17 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Praying for you now, Smile.

#75044 - 05/21/05 05:49 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Got you covered SMILES...let us know how it goes, won't you?

JJ

#75045 - 05/22/05 04:29 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Smiles,

Praying for you!

Worm? Do tell. =)

And speaking of bumping into microphones, my six year old Kayleigh did that Tuesday in their Kindergarten graduation play on her solo, and kept going. I was so proud of her, but will still hold onto the tape for teenager-with-date blackmail. [Big Grin]

#75046 - 05/22/05 05:07 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
smilinize Offline

Thank you all so much for your prayers. God came through with another miracle.

The whole thing went much better than I could ever have imagined. Attendance was the best of any of the more 'intellectual' presentations. Everyone wrote at least part of a song and every body we could fit in to our time slot sang their song. That's always the iffy part and today it worked like a charm.
The folks who ran the conference had to come in and throw us all out because everyone was having so much fun and we went over time.
Several people wanted me to do it at another conference, but I think I'm hanging up my speaker hat for a while. It was a fun day.

Thanks again girls. You're all the greatest.
smile
P.S. The worm is Bugsy Bookworm. He's a puppet I made for last year's conference. He was named by Chatty and he is operated by my husband. His eyes light up when he learns to read and the kids love him. Dallas sounds like your daughter handled everything like a pro.

[ May 21, 2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#75047 - 05/22/05 05:41 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
chickadee Offline

Glad you had a good day. I am sorry I couldn't be there. Why are you hanging up your speaker hat, Smile?
The Book worm sounds like fun for the kids.
Dallas, your daughter sounds like a natural.

chick

#75048 - 05/31/05 07:25 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dallas, I love your thinking...teenage date blackmail. What fun!

Smile, I also want to know why you're hanging up your teaching hat. I get this feeling you're personality brings magic to a crowd. Why stop when you have that gift?

#75049 - 06/01/05 07:20 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Songbird Offline

Smile: I'm so glad it all went well. How I wish I could be there! You have a great talent. Why not continue using it [Confused] ?

God bless!

#75050 - 05/31/05 11:12 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Smile? Are you just taking a break or hanging up your hat for good?

Sounds like you have a natural gift.

Re: Kayleigh - she is Sanquine meets Chloeric to the core and beautiful to boot - yep, she is a natural speaker.

#75051 - 05/31/05 11:57 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
maryanne stahl Offline

Loc: Savannah
Hi.

I teach "Beginning the Novel" at Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, and I enjoy it very much. I've taught lots of freshman comp over the years and some lit, but I enjoy the adult ed most (though it pays next to nothing).

But starting August 1 I will have a FULL TIME TEACHING JOB at a small private school, teaching English and creative writing to Middle School and High School.

Can anyone help? I have never taught anything below college or adults before. I'm excited but scared!

#75052 - 06/02/05 02:23 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Just found out I'm teaching at Concord University this Autumn; I taught in Autumn 04 semester and absolutely loved it! My topic is Tourism Promotions: How to Develop a Tourism Trail and I teach the students how to make money once they leave university.

I'm teaching at the 13th Annual Small Farm Today Conference in MO in November. Basically my university course in 3 hours.

I'd like to teach more; I really enjoy teaching.

#75053 - 07/28/05 07:39 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Misfire Offline

I was thinking about starting a new topic on "teaching" --- it's a good thing I read the posts here first. [Smile]

Like Lynn, I'm seriously thinking about becoming a certified teacher. I may have to go back to school first, but what the heck, I'm only 52. [Smile]

From age 22 to 37, I worked for the Dept of Defense as an engineering psychologist. I designed and conducted experiments to learn the best ways to design small hand-held computer equipment for combat. I did my master's thesis on text-editing performance on small screen displays --- was I ahead of my time or what? [Wink] At age 37, with a baby and a toddler at home, I resigned from my federal career to be a full-time homemaker. It was the best decision that I've ever made -- next to marrying my wonderful husband. [Wink]

But, now, it's past time for me to do something that I can feel passionate about just for me and, even more importantly, intellectually stimulated.

Recently, I discovered that our local public school system has an Outdoor Science Education Program. For the last 9 years, I've been a volunteer trail guide to school children at our local nature center. While I've been home with my girls, I've served as a guest judge at our local school's Science Fair and I've developed and conducted outdoor "workshops" on fireflys, ladybugs, and hummingbirds in our neighborhood's summer camp. I've also taught kids how to knit. Gee, I think that I like to teach. [Wink]

Now, I've got to get past my fear of failure or "not being good enough" and find out what I have to do to qualify to be a teacher in the Outdoor Science Education program. I've checked out the school system's website and know where to start, but I haven't taken any steps yet. Somebody kick me and get me started on this idea. What's the worst that could happen --- I might find out that I love outdoor education --- I already know that I don't want to be stuck inside a classroom -- I might find out that I've finally discovered what I want to be when I grow up --- and I might actually get paid while I'm doing it!! [Wink]

#75054 - 07/27/05 08:47 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Misfire - it seems that you possess the necessary basic requirement -- the desire to teach. If you have the desire then the rest will fall into place. Do not focus on "not being good enough."

Focus on the new world you will be introducing those children to. Focus on the possibility that one of those children may become a scientist because of something you said or introduced them to.

Think of what the outcome could be if you do not do this.

You will never know if being an outdoor educator would have been fulfillng. You will never know if you would have made a difference in a child's life.

#75055 - 07/30/05 12:33 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
bigmoma Offline

Misfire
Member # 259

posted July 27, 2005 12:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was thinking about starting a new topic on "teaching" --- it's a good thing I read the posts here first.

Like Lynn, I'm seriously thinking about becoming a certified teacher. I may have to go back to school first, but what the heck, I'm only 52.

From age 22 to 37, I worked for the Dept of Defense as an engineering psychologist. I designed and conducted experiments to learn the best ways to design small hand-held computer equipment for combat. I did my master's thesis on text-editing performance on small screen displays --- was I ahead of my time or what? At age 37, with a baby and a toddler at home, I resigned from my federal career to be a full-time homemaker. It was the best decision that I've ever made -- next to marrying my wonderful husband.

But, now, it's past time for me to do something that I can feel passionate about just for me and, even more importantly, intellectually stimulated.

Recently, I discovered that our local public school system has an Outdoor Science Education Program. For the last 9 years, I've been a volunteer trail guide to school children at our local nature center. While I've been home with my girls, I've served as a guest judge at our local school's Science Fair and I've developed and conducted outdoor "workshops" on fireflys, ladybugs, and hummingbirds in our neighborhood's summer camp. I've also taught kids how to knit. Gee, I think that I like to teach.

Now, I've got to get past my fear of failure or "not being good enough" and find out what I have to do to qualify to be a teacher in the Outdoor Science Education program. I've checked out the school system's website and know where to start, but I haven't taken any steps yet. Somebody kick me and get me started on this idea. What's the worst that could happen --- I might find out that I love outdoor education --- I already know that I don't want to be stuck inside a classroom -- I might find out that I've finally discovered what I want to be when I grow up --- and I might actually get paid while I'm doing it!!

--------------------
Gülpercim, güzelim meslelini birakip ates
böcekleri ile ugrasiyor, 52 yasinda okula gidecek bu tur seyler yalnizca amerikada olur!
Entresan buldum. öptüm seni,ayten

#75056 - 07/30/05 06:52 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Smiles---why on God's green earth would you hang up your hat? You are meant for this! Splain Lucy...I don't think we can let you do this...I mean it. I have spoken...Capish?

Now Maryann, Misfire, and Thisle. Oh to be in your shoes. I admire all three of you so much. I would sell my front row seat in Hell to be in attendance in ANY of your classes. I mean that!

Thistle, I know you, and I know speaking and teaching is a natural thing for you. You've already taught me so much.

MaryAnne, I think the kids in your classes will surprise you in that they will grasp your "adult" teaching level just as quickly as the college levels. Kids are so smart nowadays! But don't be surprised if you learn from them as well. I think they will be just as scared, don't you think? Creative writing and English courses can be so overwhelming to people. I can remember them making me feel "inadequate." I just know you will have the exact mix you need to help the students. Let us know how it goes, won't you?

And Misfire...girl. You have so much on the ball! Good lord. I was reading your post and saw several businesses that could develop out of your skills. You have it going on. I ain't lyin...you know I would rather walk on my lips than lie. Right? You are smart, already KNOW the material you would be offering, and have experience. You are WAYYYYY ahead of the game than most people because you already KNOW what your passion is, and you've already laid out your fears, and identified them. Now...don't you feel better having done so? Girl...you are a tiger. I want to be you...if I had THAT much going on, the rest of the world better look out, cause I'd be a steamroller.

You women are what its all about. Smiles, Thistle, Misfire, and MaryAnne. Doing what you love. Finding your passion and living it.

You can't see it, but da Queen here is bowing. If I had your home addresses, I'd be sending you all a tiara. Now...look in the mirror and see what I see. Winners. Go-getters.

Roar

JJ

#75057 - 07/31/05 06:37 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Can you believe it? I second EVERYTHING the queen said.

#75058 - 08/03/05 06:29 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Misfire Offline

Thanks Jawjaw.

WOW!
Why is it that others almost always see us better than we see ourselves? What's up with that?
You gave me just the kick I needed! [Wink]

I'm making my first phone call today to find out what I've got to do to get started in my new career -- no impersonal email for me. [Smile]

P.S. Since I can't see it myself, help me out here -- based on my posting -- what other career paths do you see for me? [Wink]

#75059 - 08/04/05 07:28 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
smilinize Offline

Misfire, Have you read "The Purpose Driven Life?" It has some guidance about finding your purpose, that seem applicable to finding your career.
The most logical career guidance I've heard is to list your desires, your experience, and your abilities on a piece of paper then use that to find a career that combines all you have to offer.
At midlife, the experiences and abilities may be a longer list, but if it does not match up with your desires, maybe it's time to change careers even if it takes retraining.

Just a thought.
smile

#75060 - 08/11/05 08:09 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Thanks JJ! Although the most important thing I've taught you is...do NOT attempt to farm! You strike me as the type who finds manure on your dress shoes offensive...am I right? I cannot tell you how many times I've driven up the driveway /usually from church/ and have seen an animal needing help. I RUN to the pasture in my dress clothes and shoes, fix the problem and then spend the rest of the day cleaning "stuff" off my clothes, my shoes and my body. Ya gotta love farming 'cause if you don't...it's just work.

Misfire...your quote "we cannot control the wave, but we can learn how to swim" reminds me...on vacation we went Pacific Ocean fishing for sea bass. We were never out of sight of land because the waves were *dreadful*! It was okay while we were moving but as soon as we tried to hold a place at sea...the motion of the ocean was a bit too much. I came seriously close to getting sick but didn't want to lose time from catching fish. The captain asked how I was doing, I told him fine. He asked if I had ever been on the ocean before and I told him yes, several times. I went on to explain I couldn't swim and didn't like to wear life vests. He asked me why. I told him if the boat went down, I didn't want to spend a lot of time bobbing up and down, gasping for air. I just wanted to sink quickly and, relatively, quietly.

He was not amused.

#75061 - 08/11/05 09:17 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Thistle...if I found manure offensive, I could never visit my sister who lives on a farm. Trust me, I know manure. Wait. That didn't come out right. Hm... Let me get back to ya on that one.

Misfire - why not take that program you've already developed, "Outdoor Science Education" and sell it as a seasonal program to the entire school system in your area? Don't reinvent the wheel. Put it on a video even! THEN...once it is rocking and a rolling, sell it to the outlying states! We have a Congressman who is soooo PRO children and practically every idea sent his way he endorses.

If you really enjoy teaching that much, I think you would be great at developing programs ON TAPES, VIDEOS, etc., to teach children different things. WHY NOT get other women involved and have a series of tapes for school-age children that you could sell to the school systems? THISTLE could do one on HOW SHEEP ARE SHEARED, for instance. SMILES would be great at developing one on HOW PUPPETS ARE MADE, and so forth and so on.

You are so talented that my guess is if you sat down and made a list, you'd have to start narrowing the list down prompto cause there would be so many ideas!

JJ

#75062 - 08/12/05 07:08 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
smilinize Offline

Oh my gosh, I just noticed the part about me teaching how to make puppets. There is not enough money in the world to pay me to make those things. I only do it for love and I never know how I did it. I've made six or seven now and the last one (Bugsy Bookworm-named by Chatte) just about ended my puppet career.

Maybe I could teach something easier, like advanced geophysical mathmatics or something. [Smile]
smile

#75063 - 08/15/05 08:39 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Queenie, you are a real think tank. Awesome ideas!

#75064 - 09/23/05 10:49 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
777shar Offline

Loc: Daytona, Florida
I'm not quite sure what just happened, but here I am--since high school English is my field, amongst others, I'll add a few words, a few months later. Someone mentioned becoming a certified teacher at the high school level--be prepared to be a disciplinarian all of the time. Peer pressure is winning. I prefer being around students that want to be educated. If you fihd the right school system, perhaps. But, it seems to me that if you really care, you find that many higher ups don't--so I finally bid it adieu with much consternation.

#75065 - 09/24/05 10:56 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

777shar, so what are you doing these days?

The women I know whao teach prefer to work at private or parochial schools becaue the kids tend to be better disciplined. Of course they don't make nearly the same amount of money as they would working for the county...

#75066 - 09/30/05 10:32 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
author from Maine Offline

Hi,

I'll be speaking at the New Jersey conference next weekend, about building synopsis ladders to reinforce your story synopsis. I recently did this talk at Ithaca New York.

Diane

#75068 - 10/12/05 01:56 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Erica Miner Offline

Loc: Southern CA
I'm teaching a seminar on Journaling in Films, giving examples of how journals have been used to create captivating movies. It will be for the CineWomen group in L.A. I'm really excited about it. I've done a lot of journaling classes, but this is the first one focusing on screenwriting.

#75069 - 10/12/05 02:03 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I'm not "teaching" but I'm giving a talk titled, "So, you want to write humor, eh?" at the Book Em Festival, at 11:00 Saturday, Oct. 22.

I'm excited about that!

JJ

#75070 - 10/13/05 12:42 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Erica, that sound really interesting. How did you do your research? It sounds involved.

jawjaw, oh how I wish I could be there to hear you speak. We have to get you a speaking gig in Baltimore!

#75071 - 10/17/05 01:03 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
dssquirt Offline

Loc: Brainerd Minnesota
My husband and I teach home landscaping classes, along with an assortment of plant related classes through our local community education. It has been a great experience.

I have signed up to teach a class on "Getting Your Website Noticed". However, only 4 people have signed up so I will probably cancel the class. There is generally at least one person who doesn't show and I don't know if I want to prepare all of the materials for three people.

#75072 - 10/17/05 05:32 PM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Dotsie Offline
Founder

dssquirt, do you have a landscaping business?

This is a little off topic, but I'm considering an indoor herb garden. Is it best to sit them in direct, or indirect sun? Do you know?

#75073 - 10/28/05 09:12 AM Re: Anyone teaching, or speaking
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I've been on the road and haven't been on Dotsie's forums in a while, but I love catching up with everyone. What a talented & interesting group! How wonderful that you're sharing your gifts with others.

Maryanne-- I taught public high school English in McLean, VA and then did a long-term substitute teaching stint at a middle school in Westport, CT. If you need moral support or lesson plans, just e-mail me. I'm one of those oddballs who love adolescents. I agree with 777shar that you've got to be prepared to be a disciplinarian, but I always found that if you respect the kids and make your teaching relevant to them, they behave reasonably well. I admit that I was teaching in upper-middle class school districts, which probably makes a difference; but I also taught at an inner city community college and found the same combination of respect & relevance worked there, too.

Although I quit teaching to write full-time in 2001, I'm still a teacher at heart. I travel around the country doing book talks, Defying Gravity workshops, and giving speeches on such topics as (1) being shamelessly ourselves--caring deeply about others, but not caring a hoot what they think of our choices ("If You're Gonna Make It in This World, You've Gotta Sound Like Who You Are"); (2) making a difference ("Women of Vision: From Finding a Voice to Making a Difference"); and (3) challenging the popular conception that it's selfish to follow our hearts ("Transforming Passion into Purpose").

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more of these postings. [Wink]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved