The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#74605 - 02/25/05 10:28 PM S.O.S.
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
OK ladies,

I've done everything I can think of - and I am still having online tech problems.

I can't get into a lot of links - I click on them and nothing happens.

I have my pop-up-blocker turned off for now, have done system scans for spy-ware, etc...

Does ANYBODY know what I can do to fix this?

ughhhhhhhhhhhh!

Danita

#74606 - 02/26/05 02:19 AM Re: S.O.S.
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
will your spyware scan show if you had a registry change? That happened to me once and I had to manually go in and fix it (SCARY) I use SpyBot and if fixes as well as finds. (My computer dude installed it, I'm not smart enough to know what's good)

#74607 - 02/26/05 01:43 PM Re: S.O.S.
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
SpyBot is good. I also run AdAware SE. I also have SpySubtract which I bought. I run these programs at least once a week to check for spyware, malware, etc. I've installed ZoneAlarm to block incoming intrusions. Spybot, AdAware and Zone Alarm are all free online downloads. I installed Norton SystemWorks, which has a lot more features than just the virus protection. For an alleged non-techie, I'm knee deep in all this stuff; however, my "best friends" list reads like Geek and Outcast Central, which probably explains a lot of this. HA! I'm sure they blame me for their nerdiness, too.

Have you changed browsers recently?

#74608 - 02/26/05 07:19 PM Re: S.O.S.
unique Offline

I am also finding that whenever I 'add/download' new programs, either from CD or online, my computer gets more 'logy', i.e. slower and more unresponsive. It's because I'm running low on memory and some of these things take a lot of 'juice'. My machine was built in 98 and things like digital cameras, website building software, etc. weren't like they are now. (And my machine was built for email and word processing anyway) Plus my original software Windows 98se can't handle a lot of the "new" technology. It didn't exist; there's only so much you can fix with a download or a patch. I smell an upgrade in the future......now if I can only start smelling the money to do it! [Eek!]

#74609 - 02/28/05 06:46 PM Re: S.O.S.
pmterrell Offline

Loc: Lumberton, NC
You are blocking cookies. That's why you can't get into sites. Try this experiment: turn off your software that blocks pop-ups and cookies. Then go to a site where you haven't been able to get in, and click on the link. It should let you right in, if your pop-up software is no longer blocking pop-ups and cookies. Now try setting the software to a minimum block, and keep increasing it, testing it each time, until you reach the point when you can no longer get into the site. Then decrease your protection by that amount, and you'll be able to get in. I have the same problem when using AOL, because of it's new security. But when I minimize AOL and go through Internet Explorer, I'm asked if I want to allow the cookie... Let me know if this helps.

#74610 - 02/28/05 07:01 PM Re: S.O.S.
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Tks for the input!

I'll work through the process! ugggghhhhh!

Danita

#74611 - 02/28/05 09:42 PM Re: S.O.S.
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Another way to temporarily block your pop up stopper so you can download stuff is to hold down the 'cntrl' key as whatever you're downloading comes in. That way, only what you want gets in.
smile

#74612 - 02/28/05 11:50 PM Re: S.O.S.
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I use Spybot, Norton antivirus, Microosoft Antispyware, and aol scans my machine too. Hopefully, what one doesn't catch, the others will.

The guy who works on my computer says no one worries about worms these days. Now the war is on viruses and adware.

I've had something attack my computer that enters and turns off my Norton. Is that crazy, ow what? Every time I turn my computer on I check to be certain Norton is running.

Want to be the next millionaire? Invent a program that works better than all of these put together.

#74613 - 02/28/05 11:58 PM Re: S.O.S.
unique Offline

I need it. Something happened to my machine between the time I went to church and when I came back. I can't open links, either. Not in my newsletters, not from BWS Home to Forum. (I had to set it to desktop) I've been working on it for the better part of two days. (It's not popup blocker, I tried that) Then my cat changed my display settings again and I forgot how to change it back. AAAAAaaarrrrrgghhhh. I wanna go home!

#74614 - 03/01/05 12:19 AM Re: S.O.S.
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My computer dude told me that some of the anti-virus programs turn each other off. If you have more than one, you can actually turn out with none that works. He had me uninstall everything and start over again with only one.

??
smile

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved