The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 10 of 16 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#74447 - 02/14/06 07:27 PM Re: Because I Remember Terror 'Father' I Remember You, Sue Silverman
Sue William Silverman Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi, Smile, you are SO right about that website! I am very sorry. It used to be for literary agents, so thank you for bringing this to my attention! Anyway, here is another website for agents, http://www.literaryagents.org/. This has much excellent information. Thanks! Sue

#74448 - 02/14/06 07:56 PM Re: Because I Remember Terror 'Father' I Remember You, Sue Silverman
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sue, I couldn't get the link for the creative nonfiction writing list to work. Sorry.

You mentioned Anne LaMott's Bird by Bird. She is such a fun writer. Have you read Traveling Mercies? She's such an honest writer. Gotta love her.

Have you read Michelle Weldon's book Writing To Save Your Life? You might wnat to check it out at Amazon. It's a great workbook for writing life stories. I met her at a NAWW conference. She was just as interesting to listen to.

Sue, do you mind telling us a little about your path to publication with The University of Georgia Press? How many query letters and proposals did you send? Stuff like that...

#74449 - 02/15/06 08:34 AM Re: Because I Remember Terror 'Father' I Remember You, Sue Silverman

HI, Dotsie, sorry that link to my reading list didn't work. I think sometimes those "long" URLs don't go where they're supposed to. So, here is another way to reach it: If you go to Google, type this into the search engine:
"university of iowa" "sue william silverman". The first thing that will pop up on the Google list is a direct link to my list. So I hope this will work! If not, let me know.

Yes, I love LaMott's Traveling Mercies." But I haven't read the Weldon book. I'll have to check it out.

"Because I Remember Terror, Father, I Remember You" got published by the University of Georgia Press because it won the Associated Writers & Writing Programs award series in creative nonfiction. This is an annual competition, and every year the winning manuscript automatically gets published with the UGA Press. (In other words, the UGA Press has a contract with the AWP to publish the winning manuscript, and every year there is a different judge.) Ironically, when I submitted my manuscript, I was 100% certain I would lose--having no self-esteem--and only entered because a friend of mine had won in the novel category a few years earlier. So imagine my shock! (By the way, this AWP competition has categories in each genre: short story collection, novel, poetry collection, and creative nonfiction.) In fact, I think the deadline is the end of this month, February. So, yes, winning a contest is certainly one way to get published.

With "Love Sick," though, I got an agent and went the New York route, with Norton. And now my poetry collection, "Hieroglyphics in Neon," is published with Orchises Press, a very small company. With the poetry, I happened to meet the publisher at a conference and asked if I could submit my manuscript to him. He said yes; then, he had it for months and months before he accepted it. So it can be a good idea to attend writers conferences, too, and make some personal contacts. Of course many personal contacts I've had have rejected my work, too, and will, of course, reject work they don't like, etc. But you never know! Sue

#74450 - 02/14/06 11:48 PM Re: Because I Remember Terror 'Father' I Remember You, Sue Silverman
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Michelle Weldon is fabulous! Sue, thanks for your comments. I think maybe my focus has been on the subject of the writing, and not on the process of the writing. I do love the process of writing, despite how it comes down to pulling teeth sometimes. I guess it is time to move on to new topics. Sue, I had a non-available message regarding Neon. I'll try again, unless you have other hints on how to get a copy. LL, L

#74451 - 02/15/06 12:39 AM Re: Because I Remember Terror 'Father' I Remember You, Sue Silverman

Hi, Lynn, yes, writing has so many elements! But I agree with you that the writing process, itself, is what's, ultimately, the part that gives a sense of joy that you were describing!

Thanks for asking about "Hieroglyphics in Neon." It is now available at www.amazon.com. Though it might be easiest to reach the actual "page" on amazon by going to my website at www.suewilliamsilverman.com as you can just click on the bookjacket cover. I was also able to get--just a few days ago!--some copies from my publisher, in case you want an autographed copy. If so, you can email me at suesilverman@charter.net and I can give you my snail mail address. Actually, I have copies of all my books available for a signed copy. Again, thanks for asking! Sue

#74452 - 02/15/06 08:00 AM Re: Because I Remember Terror 'Father' I Remember You, Sue Silverman
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Sue, I was looking through my time as the featured author to see if there are any posts I want to delete. I found this post and I see that I am still struggling. Do you have any answer? ****I am working on a memoir about my cancer experience. I must confess that I am afraid that I may not produce material that is as well-written. I’ve read on the forums that a couple of you had success with your first books, but are stuck on the second. I wonder if the fear of being able to produce as well once again is a component of the writer’s block. I’ve heard actors say they thought they might be unable to generate from the well of creativity for a subsequent project. Even Bob Dylan said that he could not reproduce the genius lyrics and music of his youth. I wonder if the other writers/artists here plunge right into a second/third project, or linger in the fear that you might not be able to do it again?****Thanks for any feedback, Lynn

#74453 - 02/15/06 07:33 PM Re: Because I Remember Terror 'Father' I Remember You, Sue Silverman

Hi, Lynn, that’s such an interesting question. Yes, as you mention, many writers struggle with a second book. Including myself! I’m not sure, though, that it was because I was afraid of a comparison with the first book. Rather, the reason was because I had so much trouble “discovering” or “hearing” the voice for the second memoir. The voice in “Love Sick” is quite different from the voice in my first memoir, and it took me a number of years before I heard it—whereas I heard the voice immediately for “Because I Remember Terror….” In other words, each book, each essay, each poem is usually going to present its own challenges. Oh, writing is difficult. But if you've got to do it, you've got to do it!

But, having said this, I’m thinking that what’s most important is to “accept” that each work is going to be different: not better or worse, but different. (Which may help in not comparing?) Easier said than done, however! Right now I am really struggling with an essay, and I’m thinking I don’t like it as much as some of my other essays. Then I try to convince myself to be patient. The essay isn’t finished yet. And, even if I don’t like it as well, still, maybe that's simply as much as I can do with it. Can I accept this? I'll try!

Another consideration: do we write for ourselves or are we trying to please publishers, reviewers, friends, family, readers? As difficult as it is, I think it’s most important to write what WE need to write, in the way we need to write it, without thinking too much about the outside world (at least not during the writing process).

So I think, for all of us, we just need to keep writing, regardless of the end result!

#74454 - 02/16/06 06:29 AM Re: Because I Remember Terror 'Father' I Remember You, Sue Silverman
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Sue, your response is a keeper. 1) write for myself 2) each piece is different! Great words for a writer! Thanks so much.

#74455 - 02/16/06 08:53 AM Re: Because I Remember Terror 'Father' I Remember You, Sue Silverman

You're welcome! I hope you got some writing done today! Sue

#74456 - 02/16/06 09:00 AM Re: Because I Remember Terror 'Father' I Remember You, Sue Silverman
Princess Lenora Offline

Yes, I'm writing, but not revising my breast cancer memoir. I'm going with the flow. My attention is on journal writing the details of the profound week in regards to my nephew's death. It was profound and intense as to the gifts that could be found in grief. For example, my brothers and I know each other better in our 50s than ever before. I am also writing about and to some long lost relatives who came forth after reading the obituary and recognizing my name as a surviving relative to my nephew. So, I figure, if this is what is coming forward from my mind to my fingers, I'll go with it. The rough draft of the BCM will always be there for revision. Thanks for asking. LL, L

Page 10 of 16 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved