The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 13 of 16 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#74239 - 11/22/05 06:48 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Judy Offline

Loc: Summit, NJ
Casey,
What an incredible story. Mine wasn't quite as difficult. But my father got laid off by the the Pillsbury Company at about the same age. In other words, before they had to pay him a retirement. He worked as a shoe store salesman and a furniture store salesman after that. The whole thing made me so angry and I was determined that no company would ever do that to me. So I did leave Lucent before they got rid of me.

But the bottom line is that we have to watch and learn and take care of ourselves. I'm glad to hear that you have done that. Be proud! Take care of yourself!

Judy

#74240 - 11/22/05 07:00 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
kam Offline

Casey

Wow, what a story. I wish I had been as aware as you were. It took me a long time to get to your endpoint.

I am so sorry about your father's suicide, that must have been devastating.

My father also worked for RCA, had 5 heart attacks by 52 and retired. Your "retirement is a second chance for a first dream" worked for him- he retired to Florida, played golf every day and lived till he was 81.

It took me longer as he did to get to retirement (55 Years old) but the idea of retirement being a second chance for a first dream is such a nice idea.

Kathy

#74241 - 11/23/05 08:50 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
This brought to mind my girlfriend who was very close to her grandmother, who raised eight children. She told my friend to never get married and have children until she was much older. She encouraged her to seek a different kind of life...something exciting.

So, she applied for and got a very interesting job: Playboy Bunny! Does she ever have stories to tell.

#74242 - 11/22/05 09:09 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
<chuckle> Playboy Bunny! How cool -- I think :--)) But those heels!

I was recently laid off from IBM. It was a mutual decision in reality since I had told them I was planning on moving to 1/2 days and then retiring by the end of the year. I just couldn't do the corporate thing any more. Well, actually, I'd never done it well, but I couldn't even pretend anymore! And as for learning any more new technology - yick!!! LOL!

But so many companies continue to down-size, move work overseas, reneg on pensions, etc. How is that going to shape our generation as we move towards retirement, whatever its shape? In spite of the lawsuits, we're not going to change multi-national corporations and how they do business since the primary aim for much of them is the shareholder price.

How do we expand on the wisdom of this book, that there is a life that is possible and different from what there was before?

#74243 - 11/22/05 09:11 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Carol K Offline

Casey

It sounds like you've grown a lot, and given much thought to what kind of person you want to be. Would you be willing to share more?

Carol K.

#74244 - 11/22/05 09:22 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Carol K Offline

Hi

I've been thinking a little more about this issue of , male or female, losing you job in your 50"s. I've come to the conclusion that it's a spoken or unspoken goal of corporations. When I really thought about it, I knew quite a few people that this happened to -going all the way back to my maternal great grandfather who was let go from the mines when he was in his fifties. Based on the people I know, it's pervasive across industries and sizes of business. My cousin worked as a book keeper for a small business and she was let go because she knew too much about the books. My friend worked for a small manufacturer who was infamous for forcing people out when they reached their ten year threshold. She started to work there in her forties and was let go in her fifties. (Maybe she doesn't count as much, but it does give insight into how companies may think.)

Anyway, I won't bore you with all my other examples. I'm sure you've experienced fairly close to the same thing.

Carol K

#74245 - 11/23/05 06:28 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Carol K Offline

Hi

I won't be able to access the forum for a few days, so I wanted to wish you all a happy holiday season. Stay safe, warm, and sane and enjoy your days.

Carol

#74246 - 11/24/05 08:36 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks and you do the same!

How about we get back to the topic of daughters, or women from the younger generations. What advice would you give a gal who wants to move away from her family and friend right out of college to work her dream job at a rate that will barely cover expenses?

#74247 - 11/24/05 02:07 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
OK. Sounds good. I would probably ask a lot of questions and do a lot of listening. Some of the things that come to mind are:
How independent is this girl? Does she make friends easily or is her support system of family and friends necessary for her good health -- both physical and mental?
What will the dream job provide? Scratch an itch? Tell her whether or not it's the right one for her? Provide a building block for a future life?
Is money important to her? Is she high maintenance? How will the lack of money affect her? Is she good at money maintenance or will she get into debt easily? Or maybe she doesn't care?
And finally, is she going to a job or running away from something else?

#74248 - 11/24/05 02:23 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
kam Offline

Casey, Dotsie et al

I don't know that I can give advice on this specific topic, but I can share that one of the things NineWomen talked about was our need to succeed and how it sometimes drove conservative behaviour. Many of us feel that we wished we had been willing to take more risks. This is one of the reasons we encourage each other to do things outside our comfort zones now and to approach life with a sense of adventure.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Kathy

Page 13 of 16 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved