The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#74189 - 11/10/05 03:51 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Carol K Offline

Dotsie, Late Bloomer

When I was at work, I learned a great lesson from a lady named Sherri. She was in her early forties and I was in my late forties at the time. We were doing one of those task force things, and she was on my team. We had to make our presentation to my boss, Joe Nacchio, who went on to head Qwest and then led the buyout of U. S. West. We were a half day from having the presentation polished and buttoned up, but the show had to go on. Sherri had the market research part, so our flaws showed the most there. Well, Joe gave her a really hard time and I was furious. I tried to help, but wasn't very effective.

After the presentation, I apologized to Sherri and reinforced how angry I was. Sherri looked me in the eye and calmly said "Hey, don't worry about it. He can't get to me. As long as no one takes a shot at my husband and kids or the rest of my family, I'm ok. They're what's important to me, and I know it."

Every time I felt my self getting very upset at work, I repeated Sherri's wisdom to myself. It didn't always help, but often it did.

Carol K

#74190 - 11/10/05 04:49 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Duffy from 9W Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Danita, I am the only member of NineWomen to desert the corporate world for the world of entrepreneurship. Having been both places I feel comfortable saying that corporate America is usually careful about not appearing to discriminate against women and in many cases male managers truly support their female subordinates. It sounds like this is not the case in the military. Nor was it true in the real world of owning your own business. I operated my business for ten years 1988 - 1998 before being bought out by a corporation. During that time, men who should have been supportive where not; but men who's livlihood depended on doing business with me - vendors, customers, etc. ah - they were friendly and helpful. In business, having power often creates relationships that work. I highly recommend owning your own business, being your own boss. Lots or responsibility and lots of rewards.

Duffy

#74191 - 11/10/05 04:56 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Duffy,

Of course the military has rules about discrimination - but it still exists, just like in Corporate America.

I AM very glad to have gotten out of the "rat race"...and I love being an entrepreneur...actually, I wouldn't trade what I do for all the paychecks in the world! LOL.

Job security is a thing of the past. FOR SURE.

What WAS your business, and what do you do now?

Have you read any of Robert Kiosaki's books (Rich Dad Poor Dad)? I love how he explains the whole working for others/working for self paradigm. It is a great starting place for people who are thinking about going into business for themselves!

Danita

#74192 - 11/10/05 05:07 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Judy Offline

Loc: Summit, NJ
Hi,

I am pleased that Duffy joined the conversation. She has very different experiences than the rest of the NineWomen, having owned a couple buildings where corporations reserved rooms for business events. She took big risks, and succeeded at her entreprenurial endeavors. I just worked for the big corporation my whole career. Both Kathy and Carol worked for AT&T or Lucent most of their careers, but at the end went off to work on a start-up. Exciting!

Judy

#74193 - 11/10/05 05:51 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Duffy from 9W Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Danita,

I'm with you - running your own business is the best job there is. It sounds like you have found a business that fulfills both your goals for self fulfillment and financial security. Bravo - not easily done.
I owned business centers, some times called executive suites where I provided ofc space, furniture, tel, internet access, conf rooms, secretaries, etc to regional ofcs of lg corps or small businesses. I was drawn to being in business for myself, perhaps because my Dad was a business owner. I haven't read Kiosaki, but think that I would resonate with his message.

How did you figure out what business you wanted to be in? Was it serendippity, knowing yourself well or trying a few things until you found the right venue? I still find business exciting, especially entrepreneurial ventures. I do a bit of investing - some real estate and some privately owned businesses. I'm active in the St. Johns Riverkeeper org. which works to clean up the St Johns River and I'm working on my writing skills - taking a writing workshop. This is the best time of my life. But then they all were.

#74194 - 11/10/05 06:23 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Great communication going here ladies. Dotsie your question was very poignant for me. I am learning lots from all of you. In a few days I will share a very exciting meeting I had with my new boss today and also finally answer Judy's questions.

I agree owning your own business is incredible in many ways. My hat is off to each of you that is making it work.

Lynn

#74195 - 11/10/05 09:09 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Duffy,

How exciting! You've done some REALLY neat things!

I think like most people I evolved into the business of my dreams. I tried many things, explored new directions, then found my home.

I think when we look at our lives as a journey, and that EVERYTHING (Good AND bad) that happens, creates who we are and what we have to offer...even failed venues are a blessing.

danita

#74196 - 11/11/05 08:03 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
kam Offline

Hi all

Another perspective on work choices is working in a small start-up. After I left Lucent I went to work as an officer in a high tech start-up in Texas. I was the only woman officer (out of 7 officers) and there were only ten women, including one secretary, in a 60 person business. I felt like I had gone back in time, twenty years.

Since I was very experienced and mature (that is, old) I was treated as one of the guys and respected as a leader in the business. But the atmosphere was much harder than in a big corporation. (Our CTO, a single guy, spent all his time at night at Hooters. It is fair to say I was not part of the out of the office socializing--I could have been, but life was too short to do that...)

I think this is why the studies say women are starting their own businesses and leave the corporate track. What do you all think? From many of the postings, everyone seems to agree how hard running your own business is-- is it better than the alternative?

Kathy (from ninewomen)

#74197 - 11/10/05 10:04 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I am tickled to see more of the ninewomen joining us. Ladies, if you haen't gotten thier book yet, you should. Then you can put names, faces, stories and comments all together and it's so much fun. I have the book sitting right here so I'm getting good at this.

Here's another observation I had after reading your book. I found it interesting that none of you mentioned God, a higher power, or anything spiritual when writing about your work, choices, decisions, etc. I hope you don't mind me mentioning this, but do any of you communicate with a higher power? I am so grounded in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that I know I wouldn't have launched this site if it wasn't for that relationship and guidance. Just wondering...

I have tons more observations...if you don't mind.

#74198 - 11/10/05 10:12 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Judy Offline

Loc: Summit, NJ
Dotsie,

I'm sort of a lapsed Presbyterian as I don't make it to church that often. I spent an incredible time in church as a kid and even became the secretary of the Young People's group at the synod level. The day that I was asked to read the Bible at the largest Presbyterian church in Pittsburgh, I almost lost my voice I was so frightened. My dad was an elder in the church and, my mother taught the adult Bible Study class and my brother was an usher. Yes, I still talk to God.

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved