The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 16 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#74179 - 11/09/05 03:02 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Judy Offline

Loc: Summit, NJ
Danita,

What guts!! The Navy!! Good for you. I'm glad you've found your passion -- do you want to share that part?
The NineWomen have very different passions -- mine is writing, Fran's include botanical art and history (You haven't heard from her because she has a college history paper due), Kathy's includes photography and journalism. . .and it goes on. Maybe some of them will tell a little more about that. But the bottom line is that we believe that we are at the time of life when it is time to go with our passions. And one thing we enjoy is telling others how rewarding that can be and getting them excited about the next phase in their life.

Judy

Judy

#74180 - 11/09/05 03:04 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dianne,
Your business sounds very difficult. I can only imagine.

How on earth did you escape the ice cream? I would have weighed a ton. Ice cream and stress combine together in my life like nitro and glycerine. I blow up.

smile

#74181 - 11/09/05 05:09 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Oh Judy, I will answer your question but very swamped right now. Maybe a day or two.

I like how you phrased"the next phase of my life/career". Could you expound upon that because even though I am still in the workforce, I feel very much like I am moving into a different phase but can't explain much more than that.

Lynn

#74182 - 11/09/05 06:25 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I learned to not eat it after I put on eight pounds. It gets old after a while.

I got along great with my female employees. Still stay in touch with them.

I have to laugh when people say they would love to own a Dairy Queen. Try it for six weeks. You'll change your mind.

#74183 - 11/09/05 06:42 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Judy,

My passion is women. Investing in them, empowering them, coming along side them.

When I got out of the service, I quickly began to develop this area of my life..working with women with drug issues and family issues.

In the last 2 years I found a business that compliments my passion. Now I can do all the things I listed above, AND work with women to achieve financial freedom.

I love my life. I am very blessed.

Danita

[ November 09, 2005, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Danita ]

#74184 - 11/09/05 07:54 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Late Bloomer Offline

Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
I took myself out of the "corporate game" by having a major depressive breakdown after being used and discarded by superiors who had a political agenda unknown to me. I have never been able to understand or cope with politics, and I was unable to defend myself against their sabotage of what should have been my career.

Now I know better than to try. I have divided my life. Jobs are for making money, and creative work is for making happiness, and I will try never to confuse the two.

Just my two cents.

#74185 - 11/10/05 08:06 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Judy Offline

lynn,

Even on my last day of work, I answered voicemails on my half-hour drive to my office. I used to often eat lunch while driving to my next meeting. I admire people who can have a job and take time out for themselves. In my new phase of life I write, chat by email and phone with my friends, travel with my husband, and spend as much time with my daughters as they'll put up with. I also take at least a thirty-minute walk each day, outside whenever possible, in the mall when not. This is a wonderful phase of life and I feel very lucky because I have a good pension.

Judy

#74186 - 11/09/05 09:34 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Judy, have you gals ever discussed what your health might be like if you were still doing the corporate thing?

Did any of you ever land in the hospital with a stress related illness? I know women who have, and it was so sad to witness.

After reading the end of your book it seems like you all feel refreshed and happy to be in another stage. But what about those who can't leave for years to come? Do you think that's a shame? That they have to continue to live with that constant pressure?

#74187 - 11/09/05 11:43 PM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
Judy Offline

Dotsie,

I was one of those women. I discovered a benign (Thank God!)brain tumor called an acoustic neuroma. The operation to remove it took 5 doctors 6 hours. I lost hearing in my left ear and my balance is still poor, but not terrible. My doctor daughter helped me get to one of the best surgeons for that problem. It was because of that surgery that I decided to retire early, but since I had started at AT&T during college I was pension-eligible.

As for those that have to keep working, I'd tell them just to remember that on your deathbed you will not be wishing you had one more day or one more hour in the office. After my surgery, I tried to cut back, but it was hard because I am driven. What I did do was to stop letting the bastards get me down and I think I did that very successfully. One day a guy a level higher than me threatened to have me fired if I didn't hurry up and get something he needed done. Oh, by the way, he wanted me to fix a problem he'd created. I just looked at him and calmly told him that I was already doing my best and he could do whatever he wanted. I wish I'd been that cool my whole career. It's a shame it takes a brain tumor to enable you to better understand what counts.

Judy

#74188 - 11/10/05 02:50 AM Re: Beyond the Corner Office
kam Offline

Dotsie

I am certainly healthier today than I was when I worked. Traveling 100K miles a year and lugging suitcases and computers took their toll on my back and the stress of 60 hour weeks and little exercise and poor eating habits (peanut butter crackers for lunch were my mainstream)seemed to be oppressive at times. I am sure that all of the ninewomen felt the stress was a negative, but Judy is the only one who had a "real health emergency".

Now I have time to exercise, eat reasonably well, am not constantly sleep-deprived and have time to see my doctors, I am probably in my best health in the last decade. I am thankful for that.

There is no real wisdom for those of you who still work. I know it is hard to be in your forties and realize you have a long way to go, but we (ninewomen)all felt that way too. One thing that helped me was instead of looking for a promotion I looked for assignments that I could enjoy and where I could work with people I liked. And do figure out a way to reach out to other women and do something for yourself at least once a month (or more). Trite but true.

Kathy

Page 7 of 16 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved