The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 187 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73698 - 08/08/05 10:39 PM So you want to get published?
Patrika Vaughn Offline

Writing is communicating. If you're writing, you want your words seen (read 'be published'). That's where I come in. I'd like to share with you what I've learned over the past 25 years about how the writing and marketing and publishing work together to spell either success or failure for your works. So ask me questions!

For starters, have you thought about who you're writing FOR? Who is intended to read your words?It's a good idea to know this BEFORE you write.
Patrika

#73699 - 08/09/05 02:23 AM Re: So you want to get published?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Patrika,
Which do you begin with first, the message or the audience?
smile

#73700 - 08/09/05 08:31 AM Re: So you want to get published?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hello Patrika and thanks for your note. I'm going to ask some questions and am hopeful this many questions is all right.

I speak, write and teach folks how to increase their small farm income...folks who already have a small farm or folks dreaming about leaving the sidewalks.

A magazine editor e-mailed me for some information /which I was able to give speedily and correctly/ and I then pitched my book idea to her and asked if she could recommend a publisher...all the while knowing her magazine was affiliated with a publishing company.

The publisher has published a few farm related/type books. One on sheep, can't remember what the other one or two were. The "farm type" magazines include 2 horse magazines, a cat magazine, a bird magazine and a farm magazine. They are interested in publishing my book and are waiting on me to send them a table of contents.

*how do I know they are the right publisher for me/my book?

*if they aren't the right publisher, how do I find the right publisher?

*how do I approach the right publisher?

*do I need an agent to "do the deal"? I know nothing about what I should be paid, if I should get any copies of the book gratis, etc.

*if I need an agent, how do I find one that will be a good fit for me/my book?

*how does a publisher market my book? what should I expect of the publisher?

*what does the publisher expect of me?

It's late and I should have been in bed *hours* ago but then I saw your e-mail. Many thanks for your note and help...very greatly appreciated. When my head has had some sleep, I'll have more questions; hope that's okay.

#73701 - 08/09/05 06:25 PM Re: So you want to get published?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Now I am confused. Which thread do we ask the questions? I was hoping for an answer.

Cheers,
Cathi

#73702 - 08/10/05 03:56 PM Re: So you want to get published?
Patrika Vaughn Offline

Smilinize:
You asked if a writer should begin with the message or the audience, and the answer is BOTH.
Once you know what it is you want to say, you have to decide who you want to say it to, because that will determine how you say it.
Example: If you're a 25 year old CPA with a new accounting method, addressing older, established CPAs, you would do beter to take a questioning rather than an authoratitive tone. Don't say, "The way you've been doing this for the past 30 years is wrong. Here's the way it should be done." (This will definitely annoy your audience.) Instead, say something like, "Your vast experience and expertise in accounting allows you to innovate. I'd like to introduce a cost-savings method that will allow you to better serve your clients and cut down on your work load." This approach doesn't insult the intended audience, but tells them what's in it for them if they listen to your ideas.
The same applies to fiction. You have to know who your audience is in order to decide the voice you'll use to tell your story.

For more on this, see pages 1-116 of Write Publish & market Your Book (www.acapela.com/books.htm)
Patrika

#73703 - 08/10/05 04:06 PM Re: So you want to get published?
Patrika Vaughn Offline

Sandra (Thistle Cove Farm):
First, congratulations on interesting a publisher - any publisher -in your book!This puts you way ahead of the majority of writers out there.
How do you know if this one is the right publisher for you? You don't, until you ask questions to find out. You have to know what you want out of a publishing deal....lots of money? Just getting your material out there? Lots of marketing exposure, so your future publications will have a built-in audience?
Decide your needs, then ask this publisher and any others who express interest where they stand on your pertinent issues.
You don't need an agent, particularly if you've already made contact with an interested publisher. A good attorney can handle the contract details for you (which should include details about how the publisher will market your book, because if it isn't well marketed, it won't sell.
You've asked a question that takes a book to answer and fortunately I have such a book. In Write Market & Publish Your Book (www.acappela.com/books.htm) I cover everything from query letters to marketing and choosing a publisher. It might save you time to read it before you sign a publishing deal.
Again, congratulations and good luck!

#73704 - 08/10/05 04:07 PM Re: So you want to get published?
Patrika Vaughn Offline

Cathy:
Got questions? Ask them here, on this thread.
Patrika

#73705 - 08/10/05 04:40 PM Re: So you want to get published?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
What's in a name? When I began writing my book, I didn't have an appropriate name. A published author friend of mine told me,"The name will come, just keep writing." It did come and I wouldn't want it changed.
What if the publisher wants to change it, or would a publisher suggest such a thing?
chick

#73706 - 08/11/05 07:42 AM Re: So you want to get published?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Patrika,

I have been to your web-site and wow, there is a wealth of information and a great variety of services.

I have not written before except for taking notes or journaling if you will, and writing some of the articles on my web-site. That is what I have done, as far as writing is concerned.

I do have a subject in mind, and I did ask the women here as to where should I start? Here is the link to that thread http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=25;t=000111

Now I am asking you, what would be the best way to get organized? What services do you recommend for first time writer's to start with?

Thanks and Cheers,
Cathi

#73707 - 08/11/05 07:43 AM Re: So you want to get published?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Patrika, thank you. Yes, I am pleased the publisher is interested and consider it a win-win situation. I've got plenty of useful information that will help other people and the publisher can put it before them.

God opens the doors and I walk through 'em. Hmmm...I'll just pay God ten percent and let Him be my agent.

Is your book sold through Amazon?

#73708 - 08/24/05 04:54 AM Re: So you want to get published?
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I wrote a book about ten years or so ago...way back when everything was on a different computer program...I had to put it on the back burner and now much retranscribe everything to my computer again...which is probably good because I needed to edit again for the 100th time anyway. I figure this is going to take me at least another year...then what do I do? I'm so new at this...never thought I'd actually be able to talk to women my age who are doing the same thing as me. My book is fiction based on a lot of fact from my childhood weaved into an interesting (hopefully) story of rediscovery and forgiveness. Can anyone tell me what I need to do once I retype my entire book into my computer again? Thanks, in advance.

#73709 - 08/27/05 02:15 AM Re: So you want to get published?
renegadeartist Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
Patrika,
First, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.
I have a couple of books "in the works." An autobiography I wrote expressly for my family--a history. I had thought of self publishing and have been exploring small presses. It's not my thought at this time to hit the media with it.
The other book, a collection of poems- is still in progress. I would like to go with a standard publishing for that one. I know these are pretty general, but do you have any advice for me?
Renegade

#73710 - 08/30/05 04:51 AM Re: So you want to get published?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I still become confused by 1st, 2nd and 3rd person when I'm writing. I seem to mix them together. Is there any way to stay on track with this?

#73711 - 09/05/05 09:52 PM Re: So you want to get published?
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Hello Patrika,
I'm looking forward to learning all I can. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.
Pursuant to the topic of audience, I have another question. Do you advise authors to use different names when publishing under different genres? For instance, I normally write mainstream fiction. One of my works in progress is a romance. The style of that novel is different from what I usually write. I know I'd have to query different agents/publishers for both types of my work. Or would I? (Guess I have more than one question.<G>) And when I do, do I mention to the Romance publisher/agent the other works, or are they irrelevant?
Thank you in advance for answering.
Marie

#73712 - 10/16/05 09:20 PM Re: So you want to get published?
Deb the author Offline

Hello Patrika,
I am a writer. My first book is self published. I wrote the book that didn't exist when my father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. I found a thousand first person stories and medical books but nothing that had both. I find it is hard to get the word out without an agent and it is so hard to find an agent who is accepting new clients. My book is called "Into the Mist" because that is how it feels when someone you love is fading away a little more every day. My target audience is baby boomers and health care professionals.
My second book is a chick-lit novel. I'm going to wait until I find an agent or publisher for this one. IF ANYBODY HAS AN AGENT WHO WILL ACCEPT A NEW CLIENT PLEASE SHARE.

#73713 - 10/17/05 12:23 AM Re: So you want to get published?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladies, Patrika is no longer the Featured Author so I don't think she'll be here to answer your questions. Sorry.

This is theh only month we have not had a featured author, but one is on board for next month.

#73714 - 10/17/05 06:44 PM Re: So you want to get published?
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Thanks Dotsie,
I was beginning to wonder why I never received a response to my question.
Have a great day,

Marie

#73715 - 02/01/06 10:54 PM Re: So you want to get published?
overthehillchick Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Patrika, you wrote "You don't need an agent, particularly if you've already made contact with an interested publisher."

BTW, I got Francine Silverman's newsletter today which mentioned you were in here and thought I'd check it out. Welcome!

Now, I am under the impression that in order to get into a NY house, you need an agent. Sure, there are publishers, although they are few and far between, that take unagented submissions, but do you find this to be true - that the majority of us who want a NY publisher should aim for an agent to get our foot in the door?

Dorothy

#73716 - 02/01/06 10:56 PM Re: So you want to get published?
overthehillchick Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Uh oh, is Patrika not here?

#73717 - 03/23/06 03:04 AM Re: So you want to get published?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Read post above from Dotsie and she answers that question, sorry overthehillchick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved