The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 22 of 22 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22
Topic Options
#73276 - 06/18/05 07:14 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
When are you going to Moscow?

#73277 - 06/17/05 08:39 PM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Lori,
I'm reading Ribbons now and love it. I feel like I'm there with you. It's makikng me want to take off again.
I will be anxiously awaiting information about your Russia trip. I have been wanting to visit Russia since I took a Russian history course a while back. Boy do they ever have a colorful history. If you can find it, the book about the last Czar of Russia, Czar Nicholas (not sure of the exact title) might be a good reference for the trip and it's a great read too.
I am convinced that our road trip helped heal the trauma of my surgery and I swear I'm feeling much better (now that I've just about recovered from the inertia hangover from the trip that is).

You're one of us now so you have to check in often. I can't wait to hear more.
smile

#73278 - 06/19/05 06:14 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Lori Hein Offline

Loc: Boston
Hi all,

I'm thrilled you're enjoying Ribbons, Smile. So many readers have told me "I feel like I'm right there with you," and I take that as the highest compliment.

I survived the world's deadest booksigning today. It was so bad, it was comical. Seven local authors squirreled away in a top-floor conference room at a public library. Five of us were booksigning veterans and took it in stride, but two guys were newbies and nearly busted their veins. Fun stuff. I decided to sit back, eavesdrop and take notes, and am sitting here writing "Scenes from a booksigning." I'm giggling just reading over my notes.

Dotsie, I'm going to Moscow at the end of July. Just me and Dana. Three days in Moscow, then an overnight train to St. Petersburg, then three days in that gorgeous city on the Baltic. I promise to tell you ladies all about it. We're traveling with General Tours out of Keene, NH. I've traveled with them before, and they offer great trips at great prices.

Smile, I have been doing some research and reading about Russia. Knowing something about a place before you visit enhances a journey a hundredfold. I recorded the movie, "Nicholas and Alexandra," about the last czar, executed with his family following the 1917 Bolshevik revolution. I also read "Russia," a 1970's first-person account by the then New York Times Moscow bureau chief, and "The 900 Days" about the Nazi siege of Leningrad (think cannibalism and eating wallpaper paste). Now, I'm trying to plow my way through the 700-page "Empire of the Czar," written in 1939 by a visiting Frenchman, the Marquis de Custine. The book's a handful and a bit tedious, but it's a classic, so I keep pecking at it day after day.

Smile, I've thought often about your recent journey and am so happy it was such a positive one -- on many levels.

May your ankle heal well. I'm dealing with a minor stress fracture and am laid off from running until August or so. I'm biking and swimming instead and have crossed my planned September marathon from my calendar. But, as Dana said to me after an injury a few years back, "So, you'll just get better and get back out there, right mom? There's always another marathon, right mom?"

Right, Dana.

Hugs to all,

Lori

#73279 - 06/19/05 10:41 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Lori
I am so glad to hear you are stayng in shape while recovering from your injury. I'm sure you will be back to running soon. In "Ribbons," I am recognizing a kindred spirit.

I am coming to realize that like you, I have always been a runner and had a need to travel. The need to run was born in me and it has helped me so much in life. Through 3 car accidents with 31 broken bones, 21 of which are in my left ankle, multiple orthopedic surgeries, and cancer, I instinctively ran and walked my way through the pain back to health. Recently I am coming to understand the healing benefits of seeing scenery passing by as in traveling by train or car. And in your book I can see the healing that was taking place in your spirit as you traveled cross country.

A couple of years ago I was in a big city and got away from running. I became weak, and the arthritis from the injuries became worse. When I tried to walk myself back to health as I always had, my previous injuries worsened and I wound up in surgery for a total reconstruction of my left leg and ankle.
I was hospitalized for a week and in a cast from December 9, 2004 to April 17, 2005. I couldn't seem to get better and was still in great pain when we left to drive cross country to D.C. The depression was as debilitating as the surgery. I felt that spirit was broken and I would never get back to my old self.

Your posts somehow got me going for the trip and I just watched the scenery go by as I relaxed into the drive. When we got to D.C. I had recovered enough enthusiasm to walk about two miles around the mall the first day. The pain made me sick, and I rested much of the second day, but despite the pain the walking was good for me.
I PMed you about the the trip being a sort of closure for my friend's death and I believe the scenery passing by helped me recover from the trauma of that and the surgery. The love with which my husband and grandson surrounded me on the trip was certainly an important part of the healing as well as the prayers of boomers.

I was exhausted for a few days when we got home, but each day I am finally feeling better and the enthusiasm is returning to my spirit. As I read "Ribbons," I identify so strongly with your 'need for speed' as it manifests itself in your need to travel and to run. I think I have the same need. Maybe lots of boomers do.

Thank you for being our featured author and for writing such a joyful book.
smile

[ June 19, 2005, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#73280 - 06/21/05 04:28 AM Re: Lori Hein, Ribbons of Highway: A Mother-Child Journey Across America
Lori Hein Offline

Loc: Boston
Smile, I feel honored by all that you've shared with me, especially in your email and in this last post. I, too, feel we're kindred spirits.

And, that you feel I've played some role in helping you recapture some of your life zest and enthusiasm is a blessing to me and alone makes writing "Ribbons" worthwhile.

You find life's riches in unexpected places.

Page 22 of 22 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved