The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 26 of 26 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26
Topic Options
#73056 - 05/01/05 02:29 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This topic Lynn329 is one every woman can relate to in one way or another. Mine was never psychically abusive with a fist but he tried mental abuse time and time again....Now about music, when I turn it up all the way in my car and sing along and even bounce around, it is a joy and a stress reliever BUT when someone else turns it up too loud it is just noise and becomes a stress causer. Looks like there really is two sides to every issue. Thanks for being here! [Smile]

#73057 - 05/01/05 04:11 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Chatty, you are welcome. It is an honor to be amongst you and share our stories. I'm sorry you had to endure mental abuse, which is as damaging to the psyche and spirit. I know you have survived and thrived, girlfriend! I agree with you about music!

#73058 - 05/01/05 04:47 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, you've done an outstanding job. Thank you so very much.

One last question before you go.

Abuse often begins when young girls start dating. Do you know any resources for teens on this subject.

In addition to the classics, my daughter's school has the kids read fiction about relevant teen topics. I wonder if there is such a book about abuse.

I was opposed to the idea in the beginning because the books are very graphic. I have since changed my mind because it gives them the opportunity to talk about these issues with their teachers.

#73059 - 05/02/05 12:13 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Dotsie, you're welcome. I am honored to be of service here. Your question is a good one. I know of a book by Patricia Evans regarding verbal abuse and teens. http://www.verbalabuse.com. This is important because verbal abuse is often the precursor to other forms of abuse. Also, teens don't often recognize verbal abuse for what it is: demeaning attacks.
Otherwise, I don't know if there is a relevant book for teens. Evidently, there is a need. When I do some research on the subject, I will let you know what I find.

#73060 - 05/02/05 12:27 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Princess Lenora Offline

Before I go, I'd like to invite you to take a look at my product called "A Drop for TEARS: Telling Everyone About Rape & Sexual assault." This crystal drop pendant helps to fund my work, which is 1) to comfort victims by sharing 2) confront violence by breaking the silence 3) change society via information & action. so that no tear is wasted. Please see http://www.beyondthetears.com/page8.html
Thank you. And Love and Light, Lynn

[ May 01, 2005, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: lynn329 ]

#73061 - 05/02/05 12:45 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Princess Lenora Offline

Dotsie, I emailed the author of the verbal abuse books (Patricia Evans) to see what books she knows of that would be appropriate to teens. I'll let you know.

#73062 - 05/06/05 08:01 PM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
maryanne stahl Offline

Loc: Savannah
Hello, Lynn,

I have enjoyed (if that is the right word) reading this thread. I intend to order your book and I wish you well with it and all in your life.

As for second books being hard--yes, they are. But I was under contract and I HAD to get mine to the publisher (albeit late). I was also going through a divorce and a lot of personal turmoil. Now I am really stuck with my third book. Anyway, I hope you are finding your way with your next book. You are a brave and generous woman.

#73063 - 07/19/05 11:06 PM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Nikki Offline

Loc: NE Arkansas
The description of your last comment really hit home. I am going through what the doctors call my third bout of clinical depression. They have added so many other diagnosis that I'm ashamed to tell them. But while I'm sitting here crying anyway waiting on a lawyer to come and start working on my disability I might as well get it all out. They tell me I have Obbsessive/Compulsive Disorder, I am Bi-Polar, Suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Anxiety/ Depression syndrome and agraphobia. I'm a mess right now but am studying myself hard and honestly for the first time. I too was a rape victim, my daughter was a date-rape victim as well.
Tell me, does it help you as well as the listeners when you speak or am I bound to this chain of guilt forever. Strange, I just realized I referred to all of it as guilt. I am not responsible, and my intellect knows that, but my psyche denies it constantly.
I would love to know how to start out with making women aware of what others suffer and what they are capable of doing, even if they don't realize it now.
I haven't read your book, but your posts are a source of comfort to me when I have a particulary rough day.
I know you have special stars in you crown for the compassion you show to others while living your ordeal over each time you speak.

[ July 19, 2005, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Nikki Stewart ]

#73064 - 07/20/05 12:46 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Nikki, my heart is aching for you and I'm lifting you in prayer. You must feel overwhelmed, but know this feeling will not last forever. Meet it head on and try to learn as mush about your self as you can. Please do not feel ashamed. God created all of us as we are and He loves us the same.

You may want to put this post in another forum where it won't get covered immediately. Also because there are many women who have traveled a similar path who are more than happy to help.

#73065 - 02/17/06 10:31 AM Re: Lynn Tolson, Beyond The Tears: A True Survivor's Story
Sandi Offline

Loc: Jupiter Florida
Lynnie You are truly amazing!!!! All of your relatives should be very proud of you. How did you ever accomplish this after all you have been through? You deserve a big pat on the back and a huge hug! Can't wait to get the book and open some of my "shut" doors......

Page 26 of 26 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved