The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#72636 - 09/02/04 08:30 PM Re: All Over but the Shoutin'
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
That's great Sugaree! I'll look forward to hearing how you and your daughter like it (and IF you like it!!).... [Smile]

Dotsie I now have Rick's book - I got it from the library today in fact. Looks like it will be a great read. Should start it tonight. While I was at the library though I looked over on the "NEW BOOKS" rack and THERE WAS MY BOOK! I was so excited....wish I'd had my digital camera with me - would have asked the check-out clerk to take my photo with me holding it.....HAHAHAHA [Razz]

#72637 - 09/02/04 11:23 PM Re: All Over but the Shoutin'
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Pam, what a thrill! You should go back with your camera...but it probably won't be there! Great thought!

Georgia, I'm moving along in the book and I understand what your're saying. It's so sad to know people are treated like he was. It breaks my heart. He writes with such honesty. I'd love to see an interview with him and his mom. Wouldn't that be neat?

#72638 - 09/03/04 12:28 AM Re: All Over but the Shoutin'
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Actually, I did have a link a bazillion months ago where this guy in LA interviewed him...I don't know if it's even on the internet still...I'll look and see. He lives in Louisanna now.

JJ

#72639 - 09/07/04 04:50 PM Re: All Over but the Shoutin'
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Several others are reading and not posting. I know someone in the book club who has read every book, but one. She still hasn't posted. [Eek!] Busy lady.

I'm moving right along. They say you have to have a story to write a memoir because they are the toughest books to get published...unless you were a president of the US! [Eek!]

I'd say Rick has a story alright. It's just so sad. The war and alcoholism the brunt of his dad's problems.

Rick insinuates the war is what caused him to drink so much? Do you agree with that?

#72640 - 09/07/04 06:06 PM Re: All Over but the Shoutin'
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
To a certain extent I do agree the War was a contributing factor to the drinking..probably a large part, however, I think what he came back to, the poverty, the fact that his life was standing still after being and seeing all that he did, contributed heavily to his wanting to forget everything.

I think the more he drank, the more he enjoyed the blessed halt of his REAL day-to-day existence. He drank, he forgot. It allowed him to be dilusional and he found out he preferred that to reality. Don't you think?

JJ

#72641 - 09/08/04 07:35 AM Re: All Over but the Shoutin'
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Well, I'm reading the book but not moving along as quickly as I thought - I keep getting distracted!!!! But I should be able to intelligently comment on it in the next day or so......It sounds (from what you two have said), that it's going to be a heart-wrenching read. I am well aware that the war changed lives forever; those who never had a problem with drinking or drugs, came back from the war with those problems, in addition to a lifetime of nightmares.

At any rate, I will be able to speak more to Rick's book shortly - I'm sure others are enjoying the read and will be sharing their thoughts soon!
[Big Grin]

#72642 - 09/09/04 08:51 PM Re: All Over but the Shoutin'
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm thoroughly enjoying this book. He's opening my eyes to the differences/similarities of class and race. Do you agree?

I've found it very interesting to read his thoughts about his family and they way they were treated because of their lack of money and material possessions.

Do you think he was that introspective as a kid?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved