The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#72598 - 01/19/04 04:23 PM The 5 People
caloona Offline

Loc: baltimore
When I saw the smallness of 5 People I decided to read it.In fact I read it in 2 days which I haven't done in years. I liked it. It was a strong story. I liked the fact that he choose a character that most of us wouldn't have a chance to know,or relate to, in our liftime and had us see we are all connected.I just wonder where the story would have gone if Eddie hadn't been in the war.
The 5 lessons are poignant,time honored,yet presented in a different manner so they serve as a reminder for me. Things that NEED to be reminded.
The last lesson-we are where we're suppose to be- leaves me with the question -What if something doesn't feel right ,like Eddie's job didn't feel right for him, then do we stay because circumstances prevent us from going or do we beak out-take a risk- and change?
Just thinking.

#72599 - 01/20/04 06:33 PM Re: The 5 People
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Glad you referred to the size of the book. It is appealing, isn't it? [Smile]

As far as taking risks when something doesn't feel right; I say it takes lots of consideration, weighing of pros and cons, prayer, and sharing our thoughts with a good friend before stepping out and making changes. Journaling helps too.

Good friends give different perspectives that we may not always want to hear.

On the other hand, it's a great feeling to be in a place where you feel you've been placed by God. Though things may not always go the way you want, you still have peace knowing you're there for a reason. [Wink]

Lots to think about!

#72600 - 01/22/04 04:26 AM Re: The 5 People
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
This book has so many facets to discuss. We could go on forever.

The one I am thinking about tonight is why the author chose a man who ran amusement rides. One would think him a simple man with simple needs but yet, he was so complex and had very deep emotions about his life.

Mitch Abloom also chose a man that by profession, gives pleasure to others. We find that he did not like his job and felt somewhat of a failure for not doing something else. But the complexity of his emotions kept him, I think, in that position. And his purpose ( on one level) was to save that little girls life. Was it in turn for the girl's life that he could not save so taht he had eternal peace?

Why do the things that happen, happen? I think Mitch was trying to tell us through fiction, to be patient, we will find out the purpose when we pass over into the land of paradise. But in that passing, we still have lessons, or losse ends, to pull together so that we can be at peace.

Think about it. Give me your thoughts.

Lynn

#72601 - 01/22/04 06:23 AM Re: The 5 People
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Yes, I think the lessons we learn here will be valuable in heaven. Also sometimes I too think we are in the right place at the right time and still don't realize we were put there for a reason
until later. Perhaps sometimes we don't even realize what is going on. Have you ever smiled at someone who seemed really down then learned later how much of a difference that made in their life?
Maggie

#72602 - 01/22/04 07:25 AM Re: The 5 People
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
The Bible speaks of "Eternal life" which has been interpreted to be heaven and "Eternal damnation" which has been interpreted to be hell.

If heaven and hell are eternal, they have no beginning and no end. Therefore whatever happens to us today and the day before and the day after as well as in heaven or hell is all a part of our eternal life. Therefore, people we meet are already in eternity (heaven or hell) with us.

Does that make any sense?

smile

#72603 - 01/22/04 03:41 PM Re: The 5 People
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Smile,

Yes it does make sense from your belief perspective. My beliefs are different and that's OK. That is what makes us, US.

It also is what makes this book a good discussion book because everyone has variations on their beliefs and faith and afterlife.

Have you read the book? If not, give it a try. Your references to the Bible and it's interpretation would make for good discussion on "what we believe" in realation to the book.

I like the authors idea of meeting people who have impacted us after our death. Some of us need the closure that it would bring and maybe answer some questions.

Yes, I have met people that I felt like I knew my entire life. Sometimes they stayed in my life for a short while and others have been there for decades. What does it really mean? I won't know for sure until I am dead. But I believe these people and I have a connection that spans longer than this lifetime.

have you ever done something and thought you did it before? Gone someplace and felt you had been there before? Don't discount it because there are no earthly explanations. Trust your intuition. We do it all the time as mothers why not as simple people reflecting on the possiblities of what can be?

God is there for all of us, all of the time. But our interpretation of what that God says, I believe, is dictated by what we need in this life.

I would love to hear from others you have read this book. Keep posting.

#72604 - 01/22/04 04:40 PM Re: The 5 People
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Lynn,
I'm getting to Five People next. Gotta' read Carrie Fisher first. Not a lot of reading time lately. Lots going on around here.

Tell me more about your beliefs. My beleifs about heaven are just now evolving. Not something I found interesting before.

I think my beliefs are right for me, but not necessarily for anyone else. Seems like everyone has to find their own way. Hear what people believe and about different faiths makes me think and even question mine which eventually makes it stronger.

smile

#72605 - 01/23/04 03:07 AM Re: The 5 People
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
I loved the book and couldn't put it down. Its interesting that you nention feeling like you've been somewhere before. I have done this in fact I remember in 5th grade feeling that way in school but when I told my parents they told me "no". Too bad we don't listen to our children more. I think the book brought this out too.
Maggie

#72606 - 01/23/04 05:02 PM Re: The 5 People
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
This book sounds so interesting! Going out this weekend to see if I can find it.

When we talk about being in the right time and the right place, that's a very interesting theory.

I have found that when I'm going through something difficult, I feel the Lord giving me what I need to get through it. I don't feel alone or afraid, because I know He'll see me through.

Like everyone here, I believe in an eternity--that being with God or in hell. Once a person comes to God, the choice is easy! God and Heaven is simply, "heavenly!"

Toni

#72607 - 01/27/04 03:56 PM Re: The 5 People
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
well I finished the book and I loved it as well. It is definitely one "for the books." ouch!

I was very sad for him at first because he was locked into his fears and didn't feel he could leave, and also that he felt tied to his responsibilities, but I think one of the main themes of the books was abuse AND how a child can be formed by it.

Am I way off? I felt his father was clearly mentally abusive and it set the tone for his life. He rejected thoughts of being able to leave or make a new/better life because of the way his father had treated him during his formulative years....Now this wasn't the ONLY reason he didn't move forward, but I felt it was a very large part of it.

Just some thoughts...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved