The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#72590 - 12/16/03 04:18 PM Re: Under The Tuscan Sun
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know what June bugs are, but never heard of the game. [Big Grin] Takes me back to the blustery cold days of playing inside with my kids. The things I would do to keep all of us occupied....

Lynn, I think this book can be a great escape f or you right now. What do you say?

#72591 - 12/17/03 03:07 AM Re: Under The Tuscan Sun
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
You are right Dotsie, I am having a little difficulty staying focused but when I do, I enjoy the book.

I would like to see more relationship also. It seems to move things along for me. I guess I like dialogue.

Just the color of the book makes me warm and I do hate winter!!!

Right now, a family jigsaw puzzle is calling me, actually not the puzzle but the closeness of the family. reading is on hold again!

#72592 - 12/25/03 03:34 AM Re: Under The Tuscan Sun
Lynn Offline

I don't know if it is the season or me or the book. I love the topic, I love the setting but I am not reading the book.

I am considering moving on to a book with more realtionships....one I can't put down. Seems liek with a little bit of time off, I want to hunker down in an escape book and this one is not doing it for me. Maybe my timing is off.
Is anyone else having trouble? [Mad]

#72593 - 12/25/03 04:09 AM Re: Under The Tuscan Sun
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I agree. I heard so many of my friends who are avid readers say they didn't like it, that I was convinced before I even got it that I wouldn't like it. I have to admit I haven't read a page of it. Is that narrow-minded or what?

I too want escape though...especially now with this nasty cold. Sorry group...I should have said something sooner...forgive?

#72594 - 12/26/03 04:54 PM Re: Under The Tuscan Sun
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn and jawjaw, I have to agree. I've decided I don't like it because there isn't much dialogue. And the dialogue that is there isn't very interesting. It's all facts, no emotion.

I fell like I'm reading a history book with Italian words thrown in and many little towns and villas that don't mean anything to me.

I have enjoyed reading about the food and decorating.

I keep waiting for this love affair to happen and I don't think it does.

Also, I saw the movie while reading the book and it was drastically different. ANyone seen it?

Sorry to have led everyone astray here. I feel so responsible, but I ehard the movie was great (which I don't agree with). I read lots of reviews on the book too and thought it would be a great read for all of us.

Sorry!

We'll begin our next book soon and it's,
the five people you met in heaven, by Mitch Albom. He's the same fellow who wrote Tuesdays With Morrie.

I've heard this is a book that makes you think. It's also a very quick read. The kind you can't put down. So we shall see.

#72595 - 12/27/03 10:50 PM Re: Under The Tuscan Sun
Lynn Offline

Great pick! I read this book in late October. I received it for my birthday. I can't wait to talk about it. There are so many differnt interpretations to the events in the book it should provide good conversation.

Don't fret over making a pick that was not right for us. Who would have known? And we can influence the decision too, so we are all to blame if blame is even needed. Forget about it!

Let's get going on the next book and maybe we will all visit Tuscany together sometime. [Cool]

#72596 - 01/15/04 05:06 AM Re: Under The Tuscan Sun
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
I'm in the middle of reading this book and like it. We restored our farmhouse while living on site and that's its own nightmare. Instead of shopping at the village market, we killed our own hogs the first 6 years. Then (God answers prayer in *very* strange ways!) I developed high blood pressure and we decided if we wanted bacon, we'd buy it like everyone else <g>.

Good book though. Nice escapism read.

#72597 - 01/18/04 10:29 PM Re: Under The Tuscan Sun
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
I've finished Tuscan Sun and found it...wanting.
Up until the last couple of chapters, it was, imo, witty, gentle, warm and then the gradual slide into...into...whatever.

It started out being a lovely little tome about restoring a home in a foreign culture and ended up being "something" about religion.

Yawn. I skipped over quite a few of the end pages because I prefer to remember the book as a witty, gentle, warm tome about home restoration, culture, diverse and interesting people, etc.

Well. There you have it. My two cents with change left over. I still want to see the movie though <g>.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved