The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#72572 - 11/03/03 01:25 AM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Ms. L,

I'll be glad to sell you my book. what? what?

and now I'm going back and read the part about us being so brilliant... [Wink]

#72573 - 11/04/03 04:13 PM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I did a little more reading in the book last night. Unfortunately I felt like I was doing homework. Decided I paid for the book, it's in the book club, so I'm going to make the most of it.

I did find a coupe thoughts worth mentioning:

Page 28 and 29 reminded me of something I often say to my kids and remind myself. Everything in life is a choice. We can choose to be happy or we can choose to be sad. Sounds very simple and this guy believes wholeheartedly in this. I say it works most of the time, but what do you do when teenagers live in the house with you? I think I could be happy more often if I didn't have to deal with disciplining them.

I did find myself thinking about managing my teens while in low moods. I KNOW it's not a good thing to do, but sometimes I just can't help myself. I react...Are you on the phone again? GET OFF THE PHONE and do your homework! All that kind of fun stuff!

I'm reflecting on holding my tongue and waiting for the mood to lift. Then addressing it when it isn't an issue... [Eek!]

I reallylike what he has to say about realizing other people don't and can't think the same way we do based on life experiences. It's impossible. All of us have lived different lives. Found it to be another way of saying, if you haven't walked a mile in my shoes, blah, blah, blah. Another good reminder for me.

Also, page 55-56(his little story on the power of a thought)spoke loudly to me.

And of course the thought that if you focus on the good thoughts you remain more positive and more happy.

None of this is new to me, but it's nice to have the reminders of issues I've pondered at different times in my life.

I'm finding I like it a little more than I thought. [Wink]

I'm working on getting it finished so we can move on to The Tuscan Sun book. I'm ready for lighter reading!

#72574 - 11/04/03 05:06 PM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Re: choice

Read an interesting quote the other day while working through my writing course:

"The only real power we have is the power of choice" - L. Stobbe

I have that one taped on the computer right now.

#72575 - 11/04/03 05:56 PM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I like that one Evie...I also like your pic. You and Dotsie favor, don't you think?

I still say this book is a snoozer though....

#72576 - 11/08/03 02:00 AM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
How do you join this book club. Not sure I want to read the 1st one, but I like to read, generally. Let me know,please.

#72577 - 11/10/03 03:23 AM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Dotsie Offline
Founder

swimbo, look on the homepage of boomerwomenspeak and click on the book club icon on the left side of the page. You'll be able to read about it and register from the same page if you wish. Hope you will join us. [Wink]

#72578 - 11/14/03 05:21 PM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Ladies, I'll be emailing the club members soon because I think we should be starting our new book next week...Under The Tuscan Sun. A little lighter and a quicker read. Then I'm going to try to squeeze in a little Christmas non-fiction read. Any suggestions? We shall see.

A few more thoughts on our current read, You Can Be Happy No Matter What...

I loved his section on relationships.
He talks about it not being what we say, but how we say it. Gotta remember I'm raising three teens here and I couldn't agree with this more. I know from experience that when I talk with them about it issue, it's best to do it when the issue isn't smack in our faces. That way we can TALK about it and actually listen to one another. Choosing when to talk about issues is key.

He talks about moods. I thankfully read something long ago about NOT talking with the kids when there's an issue. We aren't in the right mood to TALK...Cool off and wait until the anger has resided and then talk with them. This works in any relationship. Wish I had the presence of mind to do this with all conflicts, but I don't! [Eek!]

I also like how he talks about no two people seeing things the same way. Everyone has lived separate lives and brings differing experiences with them to every situation. You know, the old walk a mile in my shoes thing. Helps to consider when in relationships.

In seven he reminded me that I cause my own stress. I should be capable of ruling my thoughts better. Something else to work on. Thinking more happy thoughts makes for a happier person...makes simple sense! When we are happier we see clearer answers to conflict.

Lots of valuable lessons in this book. Anyone else want to share?

#72579 - 11/18/03 05:38 PM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Well. I finished. I learned I need to think about my mood more often. If I can keep tabs on that I will be smarter about how I respond and interact with others which makes for a happier life.

I also learned that I can control my thoughts because I'm the one who creates them. DUH!

I must say these aren't new lessons, just ones that needed to be brought to my attention AGAIN!

Onward.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved