The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#72474 - 03/26/04 06:20 AM Re: The Five People You Meet In Heaven
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hi Dotsie & Lynn - I'm not on the computer much this time of year, mainly in spurts or dribs and drabs. I haven't a clue what's going on in the other forums and it's already past my bedtime so won't play catch up tonight either. <g>

Like I said, I haven't read the book; imo, Colson wrote an interesting commentary and I thought those boomer women that had read the book might enjoy the commentary. I don't have an opinion on the book because I haven't read the book. Lynn, I'm not really sure what it is you're asking me to clarify...? I'm not offended by your "probing"; it's just I have no clue what it is you're really asking of me.

I think there is a lot of pop psychology around these days; not a lot of deep thinkers. C. S. Lewis was definately a deep thinker as were most of his ilk and Lewis is both a better writer and theologian than Abrams. My opinion is based upon my reading of Tuesdays w/Morrie; I thought it was a good book but not a great book. There are few books Lewis has written that cannot be called great...not by me per se but by world class writers and thinkers.

My views on heaven are...it ain't about us. It's about God but puny human minds want to believe it's about us. I feel quite sure the God who created dirt so He could create life from dirt can dream up something even more fabulous in heaven...and it ain't gonna be about what I think or what conversation I had or anything about me. And I'm good with that. I'm looking forward to heaven where the agenda is on God...finally! I'm fully prepared for whatever mind I have then to be totally blown by what God does next.

I let God out of His box a long time ago and it changed my life forever.

#72475 - 03/31/04 09:22 PM Re: The Five People You Meet In Heaven
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sandra and any other soul who feels like answering:

For some reason, and I'm not sure why, your post made me thing of having free will in heaven. I never thought about that before. I'm guessing our free will is gone when we hit the pearly gates. Any thoughts?

[ March 31, 2004, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#72476 - 04/03/04 07:09 AM Re: The Five People You Meet In Heaven

Free will in heaven...hmmmmm...don't know but will think on it for the next while. There are a lot of people who act like they have no free will here on earth <remember "the devil made me do it"?>

Off hand I'd say yes, because of the choice we made to go to heaven, we will have free will in heaven. But we will also be on the same page, so to speak as God, so there won't be sin or sinners. Isn't that why Christ was the sacrificial lamb? So sin c/wouldn't enter heaven?

Interesting question...

#72477 - 04/03/04 04:06 PM Re: The Five People You Meet In Heaven
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by Thistle Cove Farm:

Off hand I'd say yes, because of the choice we made to go to heaven, we will have free will in heaven. But we will also be on the same page, so to speak as God, so there won't be sin or sinners. Isn't that why Christ was the sacrificial lamb? So sin c/wouldn't enter heaven?

Interesting question...

Okay, gotcha. I agree. My thought was that we would be on the same page as God so we wouldn't have self will, but your thought is similar...We will have free will it will just be aligned with His.

Good answer Thistle! Thanks for your thoughts.

One of my daily prayers is:
Align my will with your's.

[ April 03, 2004, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#72478 - 04/04/04 08:19 AM Re: The Five People You Meet In Heaven
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
If you're interested, here's something that the Baha'i Faith says about the next world (heaven): first, our soul begins on earth and continues _progressing_ forever. In existence (in all God's worlds), there's only progression (growth) or decay, there's no standing still (stagnation is decay).
The purpose of life on the material plane (earth) is to know and to love God. Here we develop spiritual qualities that we'll need in the next world(s). It's like the fetus in the womb before it's born -- it's developing what it will need in this world. The fetus doesn't need arms and legs, etc., but is developing them for later. A baby born without limbs or eyes or ears can exist, but its life will be more difficult than a healthy baby.
Similarly, we're developing qualities that we'll need in the next world. For example, many people on earth exist without faith and love and can get by. But in the next world, faith and love will be necessary for a "healthy" existence.
Also, the next world is as close to us as the fetus is close to this world. The beings in the next world are somehow connected to and involved with us.
Once you leave the material world, God will be obvious. It will be no great act of faith to recognize God there as it is here.
Aligning our will with God's will is a process. We can often assume we know what God wills for us individually, but also may not be absolutely certain. We will experience existence,including freedom, in the next world also according to the efforts we exert in this one and the spiritual qualities we take with us.
Finally, you can't take negative qualities (greed, envy, hate, etc.) with you. For example, hate is the absence of love, but in itself is not a spiritual quality, just as the shadow of a thing has no substance in itself. People develop greater or lesser capacities for love, faith, trust, mercy, and all the spiritual qualities, which is what we take with us into the next world. So, even though for Baha'is there is no concept of hell, there is a notion that we will be closer to or farther away from God and from aligning ourselves with God's will.

#72479 - 04/04/04 04:31 AM Re: The Five People You Meet In Heaven

Dotsie - Satan had free will in heaven and look where it got him <g>. I've studied other religions and, while I find them interesting, for me, Christianity is still the answer. There's a verse in Deut. that says each shall be judged by the way in which they have lived their lives or religion <can't remember the exact word>. Of course, that's the Old Test. law and we're under New Test. Christ love and sacrifice so does it still apply? I dunno.

In Sunday School one time, the people wanted to study the major religions of the world. One of the keenest proponents was getting ready to go on a trip to California. I told her I had a state map of South Caroline I'd loan her for her trip. I was sure she would find it interesting and useful. She looked at me blankly and said, but I'm going to California not South Caroline.

I replied...my point exactly. Sometimes people are so caught up in the "words" of a religion they forget it's not about the "words", it's about the life the words give. "I am the way, the truth and the light and no man shall enter the Kingdom of Heaven except by me." I believe my path to heaven is only through Jesus Christ and His grace. It's not about how good a Christian I am <because I'm usually not>; it's not about how often I attend church <because often I don't>; it's not about my good works <because a lot of the time I'm selfish>. It's simply not about me. It's about Jesus and His sacrifice, His mercy, His grace, His love. And for whatever crazy reason, He chose me. I can do no less than to say yes to His amazing love.

#72480 - 04/06/04 12:09 PM Re: The Five People You Meet In Heaven
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
If everyone went to South Carolina, it would get pretty crowded, so crowded that no one could even see where they are.

#72481 - 04/06/04 06:06 PM Re: The Five People You Meet In Heaven

Myrtle Beach in July!

been there, done that, wouldn't stand in line for the tee-shirt!

#72482 - 04/07/04 07:26 AM Re: The Five People You Meet In Heaven
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Meredith, are you implying that people need to think for themselves?

#72483 - 04/08/04 10:12 AM Re: The Five People You Meet In Heaven
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
DJ, that's one way of interpreting it. I'm saying that we're not all supposed to be in the same place, period, whether geographically, spiritually or any other -ly. There are different paths for different people (and the same people, in different times of their life).

I, for one, keep a full set of maps.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved