The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#72372 - 06/26/04 03:29 PM The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I want to extend the invitation to all the women in the forums to join our book club in reading Pamela Kimmel's newly released book.

PLEASE READ ON!

This is the letter I sent to the women in the book club. I hope you'll join us.

Dear friends,

I hope you're taking the time to kick back and do some reading this summer. I've heard from some of you that it's time to start a new book. This time we're reading another one written by a women in our online neighborhood at www.boomerwomenspeak.com.

Pamela Kimmel has just released her first novel this week, The Mystery of David's Bridge. We will be some of the first to read and review it. I'm psyched to share in her dream come true! If you frequent the forums you will recognize her name and recall the thoughtful posts she has contributed. She has shared some of her excitement in the forums as she's traveled the path to publication. Pamela will be in the forums to share in the book club discussion. It will be fun to have access to the writer so we can pick her brain a little about the history of the book, characters, plot, etc. She can also answer questions about getting published. This should give hope to other writers that we may one day read your book.

Her book is available online at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. It's at least $3.00 cheaper at Amazon. Isn't that wild?

I want to apologize for having two books in a row that you've had to purchase, but I think it's important for us to support our baby boomer writing friends. I promise the next book will be available from libraries.

The Mystery of David's Bridge

Bailey Ferrol has her hands full with solving several mysteries in this book, but in spite of being busy, she finds time for romance. Kyle Dean, estate manager, hires Bailey to look into the work and personal background of some job candidates. He also happens to be handsome, single, and ultimately a big help to Bailey in her work as a private investigator.

Pamela Kimmell is the daughter of an Air Force officer and has lived all over the world. Traveling is in her blood, and she and her husband have explored many areas of the United States and Europe. Eight years ago they moved to the small town of Warrenton in the Virginia countryside. She worked for many years in Hospital Administration. Upon retiring she began writing full-time. She has no children, one hyperactive cat, and is lucky enough to have a home studio where she can write and indulge in her other hobby of painting. She's been Fiction Editor for an ezine, currently volunteers as a Poetry Editor for a small press publisher, and is a frequent submitter of poetry and short stories to a number of popular ezines. The Mystery of David's Bridge is the first in a planned mystery series.

#72373 - 06/28/04 09:34 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm still waiting for my book. I always feel like it's Christmas when I get a box of Amazon books at the door. Can't wait...

#72374 - 06/29/04 02:08 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Dear Dotsie,

I too have ordered The Mystery of David's Bridge and will get it in about a week I think. I ordered mine from Books A Million. I have never participated in the book club portion of the forum, so you will need to tell me what is expected.

Sherri

#72375 - 07/01/04 06:11 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm STILL waiting for my Amazon order to arrive.

#72376 - 07/01/04 06:32 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
me too Dots...teach me to order regular mail! That WON'T happen again! I can't wait for the book to get here...(well, yes, I guess I can too, eh?)

JJ

#72377 - 07/02/04 07:07 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi,
I too am waiting for a call from Barnes & Noble. We have a discount card and an extra discount so ordered it when we were near. They told me 3-8 days and were on the 4th.
Maggie

#72378 - 07/02/04 07:51 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Hey Dots,
I just got a "thing" from Amazon that I will not be receiving my book "The Mystery of David's Bridge" until sometime between 7/6-7/14. Now I don't know what the hold up is since they say it's in stock, but there you have it! So, it may be the middle of July before I get the book. Very frustrating! PAM? Should I have ordered through the publisher?

JJ

#72379 - 07/01/04 08:00 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Hey Queenie....sorry you are experiencing a "hold up" from Amazon....maybe that means they've sold out of the first batch????? (HA [Eek!] )

But seriously....maybe they are just keeping a certain number on hand - after all I'm a brand new writer with no track record for sales (yet), and my book's been published by one of the SMALLER publishers.....I'm sure they will process orders as quickly as they can but I really AM sorry if anyone else in addition to you JJ is having to wait. Let's just PRETEND it's because they've sold out of the first bunch they received from the distributor??????? [Frown]

#72380 - 07/01/04 08:02 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

well if this book is half as good as I think it's gonna be, that's itzatcally what happened!

I'll wait. Not patiently mind ya...but I'll wait....

JJ

#72381 - 07/01/04 09:03 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Sherri Offline

I too am waiting for my book from BooksAMillion, they said they were temp. out of stock, so hope to get mine soon!

Sherri

#72382 - 07/01/04 11:43 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Girls I hope you get your copies soon too....I just wrote my publisher and suggested they contact the distributors to see WHAT's WHAT... I hate that people have to wait forever to get their copies!!! [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

#72383 - 07/02/04 12:52 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Good Morning Boomer Book Babes! I heard from my publisher yesterday and wanted to share some info with you that I did NOT know...maybe because I'm a "novice" when it comes to this whole book-writing/selling/promoting thing. I wanted to know WHY people were being told by Amazon, etc. that they were "out of stock" of my book when it has JUST come out! I'm told that with a new author, they don't stock hundreds of books, only 10 or so because we "novices" have no track record to speak of...they don't know how quickly the book might sell and don't want to overstock. BUT I'm also told that they SHOULD be able to re-stock VERY quickly from the distributors. In other words, if you are being told 3-5 weeks wait - it won't be that long...that's just what they tell you.

I hope this is correct....I know how frustrating it is to order something and be told "nope - you have to wait!!!"....that's especially irritating when you are ordering a GIFT for someone...but can be JUST as irritating when you're ordering something for yourself.....SO again, I'm sorry some of you are having to wait to get "The Mystery of David's Bridge". Hopefully by the time my mystery series is on the second/third book I'll be so popular they will have TONS on hand??????? (WISHFUL THINKING) [Razz] [Razz]

#72384 - 07/02/04 05:39 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Wish you lots of success! You gotta reach for the stars... cause the sky is the limit! So keep the positive attitude!!! [Wink]

#72385 - 07/02/04 05:58 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

You are so right - keep reaching for those stars - keeps us on our toes (and keeps us young!!).

Thanks for the good wishes..... [Wink]

#72386 - 07/02/04 06:51 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Maggie Offline

Pam,
That's terriffic!! I don't mind waiting for the book. Love mysteries.
Maggie

#72387 - 07/02/04 11:51 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Maggie....! I love mysteries too - have since I was a kid. The old Nancy Drew mysteries were my favorite and I guess I've always wanted to write my own. I'm about 1/3 finished with the second in the series and STILL enjoying it so I guess that's a good sign..... [Big Grin]

I also wanted to tell everyone who has ordered the book (and again thanks from my heart!) that there was NO professional editing done on it...AND you can tell...I'm sure an editor would have had me do a LOT of things differently - and caught many mistakes that my "editing helpers" as well as myself didn't. Still, all in all, I hope those things don't detract from peoples' enjoyment of the story. I suppose you all will tell ME that when you read it!
[Confused]

#72388 - 07/03/04 06:09 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Pam, don't know if you saw the post, but I'm wiating for my order too. I ordered 3 books to get the FREE shipping and none have arrived. I haven't gotten an e-mail form them wither which I think is odd.

We'll get on with the show as soon as we get our books. [Wink] Not to worry...

This is a good lesson for all of us.

#72389 - 07/03/04 06:15 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Sherri Offline

I just got a notice from BooksAMillion that my book has now been shipped. Can't wait to get it!

Sherri

#72390 - 07/09/04 03:37 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Sherri Offline

Ok, the book came today and I started reading it on my break. Hope to have more time this weekend. It started out great!

Sherri

#72391 - 07/09/04 12:30 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Sherri! I'm so glad your book finally arrived.....AND thanks for saying that you enjoyed the beginning. I'm very happy to get some feedback at last, and I'll be anxious to hear your impressions as you read it. [Wink]

Thanks for posting this update - I've been hoping that people are finally getting their copies. [Big Grin]

#72392 - 07/10/04 04:11 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Sherri Offline

Dear Pam,

Sincerely and from my heart, I LOVED your mystery! I was so caught up in it last night that I had to finish it before I went to bed. Your characters are wonderful and I enjoyed getting to know them, and can see where you could have many spin off stories to continue your series. Who are you going to write about next? I loved the book shop couple, and your hero sounds so yummy!

Anyway, I am gushing, but wanted you to know how good I think this book is. I am recommending it to my husband. You write in the style of Sue Grafton, and I don't think her first book was near as well put together as yours.

Please let me know when your second book comes out. One question? Is this from a regular publisher or a POD? Doesn't' make a difference to me, but just curious.

Keep up the good work Pam.

Sherri

#72393 - 07/11/04 07:10 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thanks so much Sherri for the great review!! I'm very happy that you enjoyed the book. I love Sue Grafton's books and for you to tell me that my book reminds you of her style is - well - a MAJOR compliment!

I have plans for LOTS of sequels featuring MANY of the characters I introduced in this first book. My publisher wants me to continue with the series so I will. By the way - Hilliard & Harris is a "traditional" publisher but a "small press" publisher.....they don't have a staff of editors for instance - in fact they don't take manuscripts that need a lot of editing PERIOD!

I'm also writing a "non-Bailey Ferrol" book.... sort of a cross-genre book, called "The Door". About a woman who finds a very STRANGE painting in an art gallery - and - well - I won't give it away!

At any rate, thank you Sherri for the review. I am really pleased that you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

BIG HUG [Cool]

#72394 - 07/13/04 08:00 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Just checking in with Book Clubbers - are you all finally getting your books from wherever you ordered them? I sure hope so.....I've had several other people tell me they've received theirs and just wondered if the "dam broke" for the rest of you??!!

Hang in there if it hasn't yet arrived - at least I hope you will - the feedback I will received from you all is simply invaluable to me as I work on my sequels.

Happy Day Ladies!
Pam

#72395 - 07/13/04 09:06 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Sherri Offline

Pam,

I can't wait for the sequels to come out, I want to know more about the book store owners, and the one who didn't get the memoir job. (Sorry, I have a memory lapse and I didn't go to the other room to look up the name.)

Who are you writing about next?

Sherri

#72396 - 07/13/04 09:57 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Maggie Offline

Pam,
I just received the call that my book is in. [Smile]
I can't wait to go get it but am booked until Friday so will go then and get it. [Wink]
Had to let you know.
Thanks,
Maggie

#72397 - 07/14/04 01:57 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Oh Goodie Maggie! I'm so glad your copy has arrived - enjoy the read....

And Sherri - I have a soft spot in my heart for the bookstore owners too...they WILL be involved to some degree in all the sequels, but I will "feature" them in one too. The next book (that I'm about 1/3 finished with) has more of Tom Remington (Bailey's friend from Richmond) in it - I'm not going to give away too much (!!) but one of the key employees from his detective agency runs into some serious problems in David's Bridge so Tom has to come up to help Bailey figure things out. How's that for a teaser?? [Eek!]

#72398 - 07/14/04 03:39 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
So who else has their book and is reading along?

Sherri is finished, I'm about a third of the way into it, Maggie hasn't started yet, anyone else? [Smile]

I love the character Pam has created in Bailey, but I must confess to a real attraction to Eddie [Smile] [Smile] [Razz] he sounds adorable, I could take him home...... [Wink]

Don't want to give too much away for those who haven't got their books yet, but kudos to you Pam for such a great read!!!

#72399 - 07/14/04 05:16 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
lalapaloosa Offline

Loc: Winters, California
I am really looking forward to purchasing a copy of your book, Pam! I love mysteries. I have never been a part of a book club so this should be fun. I can not wait to see what is "inside your head", Pammy! [Wink]

#72400 - 07/14/04 02:04 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thanks Evie! Eddie gets a "friend" in the sequel......hee hee [Wink]

Lalapaloosa I hope you DO read the book and enjoy it. Mysteries are such fun to write AND read. If you get it be sure to let me know what you think...I'm looking forward to the feedback from all of you who were kind enough to participate in the Book Club review of "The Mystery of David's Bridge".

Have a GREAT Wednesday!! [Cool]

#72401 - 07/14/04 08:37 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
newhope Offline

Loc: Palm Coast, FL
Hi, everyone. Just wanted to let you know that I was notified that my copy of the book was shipped yesterday from BooksAMillion and am really looking forward to reading it. I'm trying to find ways to take my mind off my problems for brief periods of time, and I'm hoping that a good mystery will do that for me! I look forward to seeing what everything thinks and to sharing my thoughts.

#72402 - 07/14/04 11:47 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Joyce.....I'm glad you will be reading the book and look forward to hearing what you think. When I have something troubling me, or just something I need to mull over, I grab a book to read....it's nice to "go away" in our minds and live through the eyes and lives of someone else for a while in that way (at least that's what I'm thinking as I write!!)..... [Wink]

Thank you for ordering it...I hope you feel like you got your moneys' worth when you turn the last page! [Smile]

#72403 - 07/15/04 04:58 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Pam. what fun to hear about so many ordering your book. [Big Grin]

We just got back from vacation tonight and I had an Amazon box waiting for me. [Big Grin] Your book was in it!

I'm going to start reading this weekend and will post as I read. Can't wait!

#72404 - 07/15/04 12:56 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Welcome Home Dotsie! Hope you had a wonderful vacation....it was nice to see you "popping in" on BWS while you were away. [Wink]

I sure hope you enjoy the book - and sorry you had to wait so long for it. It's so strange that some people have received it right away and others had to wait and often it was through the SAME booksellers???!!!! Oh well....you have it now so here's hoping you enjoy the read. [Big Grin]

#72405 - 07/16/04 02:02 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

I wanted to invite any of you ladies who find at the end of the book that you really enjoyed it enough to write a review of it to please do so on one of the bookselling websites....Amazon and Barnes & Noble (and others) have a way you can do a review of the book....it's actually GREAT feedback for someone "book shopping" and not all the websites feature a synopsis. Helps people not only know what it's about BUT whether it's worth buying! [Confused]

Of course I'm assuming some of you will LIKE the book enough to do this - but if so, I'd welcome that kind of addition to my book's listing on the online booksellers websites.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#72406 - 07/17/04 04:20 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Maggie Offline

Like the book. I love it. Read the first three chapters on the way home today and didn't want to put it down. It reminds me of one of the writers in the former writing group I was in. She writes for youth and mainly puts hers in libraries. She is a mystery writer too.
I can't wait to read the rest of it.
Thanks Maggie

#72407 - 07/17/04 05:20 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Ok...no one's said anything yet. Did you all recieve your books? How's it going. I cant afford not one more purchase right this moment but I'm really excited for Pam. The excerpt sounds great! I can't wait to order it myself soon. Till then, Ladies, share! [Wink]

Congrats Pam!

Sugaree

#72408 - 07/17/04 02:47 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book Maggie! It was fun to write and I hoped it would be fun to read. When you were finished with it, were you "bonded" enough with the characters to wonder what they would be up to next? I am hoping that I've created the right "atmosphere" for folks to enjoy the series and look forward to the next and next and next one. [Smile]

#72409 - 07/17/04 05:59 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

SUgaree, send me your snail mail address and when I'm finished I'll send you my copy of Pam's book. When you're finished just send it back. I think it will be cheaper than buying it. Do you mind Pam? I know it's one less sale for you but perhaps she'll write a glowing review at Amazon! [Wink]

#72410 - 07/17/04 06:47 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Dotsie you are a dear.....if I had a spare authors copy I'd send it to Sugaree but I ordered some last week and they haven't yet arrived...I've been giving them away to the bookstore owners, shopowners and before I knew it, the eight FREE ones my publisher had given me were gone! Fortunately I get a nice discount on purchasing them myself for promotional purposes. [Razz]

Anyway - all that said - thanks for being so generous....and indeed Sugaree, you might like the book so much you will recommend it to lots of your friends which of course = sales! [Wink] [Wink]

#72411 - 07/18/04 07:56 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Yes Dots, you are such a dear. [Smile] Thank you!

Pam, of course I'll be writing a glowing review. From what I hear already about your book, it will be worthy of it.

Actually, I'm working as a liaison between my daughter, chief editor of the top high school in this area, and an author that focuses on teens. This author is going to send my daughter, and maybe even the library here, her book(s). The great thing about that is that the Journal/Sentinel, Milwaukee's newspaper, works directly with these students interested in Journalism as a career.

We're just waiting on the final approval from the teacher of the newspaper class. More than likely, since all involved love my daughter's ideas, this will fly.

From there, my daughter will also be the editor of the newspaper section of the school’s website. It's my understanding that the money has been added to the school's budget already. This past fiscal year my daughter sat on the panel of adult figures that make these financial decisions.

While I’m going on and on, does your book have a place for the teen/young adult audience? If so, yours is one more book to add.

Sugareee

#72412 - 07/17/04 08:07 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

GOOD BOOK! GOOD BOOK! I am on here long enough to say if I don't get to the end of this book I'm gonna die! It is soooo good, has me captured, and I'm dying to know if what I think is gonna happen, happens! First book I've read in a long time that kept me off the internet! nuff said.

Now...back to your regular scheduled program...

JJ

#72413 - 07/17/04 11:03 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Oh goodie! Our Queen likes the book! Hey, if it keeps someone off the internet I say that's an indication of success in the "keeping attention" department... [Wink] [Wink]

Sugaree congratulations on your daughter's accomplishments - that's grand. As for "age appropriateness" for young adults - I guess I'll bow to those of you out there with children in the "older teens/young adult" category for a final say. My personal thought is that there is nothing "graphic" in the book in either the violence or sex department. Without giving away too much to those who haven't read it, I've relied a lot on "innuendo" for Bailey's blossoming relationship. I don't think I even COULD write a burning romance type story (!!) - and the violence is VERY minimal. My brother is letting my niece who is 14 read the book in fact.

SO - that being said - if you ladies disagree with my "age appropriateness" assessment, let Sugaree know! Otherwise, I'd love for the book to be included in the library collection you mention. [Big Grin]

#72414 - 07/18/04 01:17 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

There is nothing offensive whatsoever in the book (dang it!) ahahah...what?

I finished the book and what happened fooled me. I can't wait till we can talk about it. Anybody else finished?

I loved it, absolutely. BUT. (There's always a BUT isn't there?) Now I have to wait on Pam to finish a sequel...like I don't have enough stress in my life as it is? Puleaseeee....

Get the book. On a scale 1 TO 10, I'll give it a 15.

JJ

#72415 - 07/18/04 02:14 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Awwwwww shucks! Many thanks JJ I'm just thrilled that you liked the book. I had a lot of fun writing it, and "living" through my main character, and just BEING in the town of David's Bridge. This may sound strange since I'm the one doing the writing, but even I can't wait to see what's next for Bailey Ferrol and the other residents of the town of David's Bridge! [Wink] [Wink]

Seriously - thank you so much for the positive feedback. [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

#72416 - 07/18/04 05:34 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Maggie Offline

Hi Pam,
Yes, I would say it fits into the Y or youth category I believe it is. Its a wonderful book and I like the characters even the cat. [Wink]
I agree with da queen its a 15.
Had to take a break for a few minutes and am almost finished with it. Should be tonight. [Smile]
Maggie

#72417 - 07/18/04 08:20 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Sherri Offline

I think I was the first to finish it and I am really interested in what is coming next!!
Pamela did a great job of grabbing your attention. I too, had to read it straight through and my husband did also.

I agree with the 15

Sherri

#72418 - 07/18/04 08:31 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I started it yesterday and had a date last night so I couldn't get too far.

Pam, who did your cover design? It's perfect for a mystery.

How cool to have your own ISBN number! [Big Grin]

I'm enjoying the fact that the main character is single. In most of the books I read she's married. I like the peek at the single's life.

I'm also falling in love with the blonde, dimpled, no shirt character. [Razz]

I plan to get more reading in today. Can't wait.

#72419 - 07/18/04 09:35 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Sherri thanks again for the compliment - I was happy to hear your husband enjoyed it too because early on in the writing my husband said he thought it was a "womens book"....well, that's fine and dandy, but I wanted it to appeal to EVERYONE! By the way - he changed his mind when he read the final and said HE enjoyed the story too and thought "guys" would. [Roll Eyes]

Dotsie - I'm glad you are getting into it! The cover design was done by Shawn Reilly at Hilliard & Harris. It's gorgeous isn't it? They had toyed with the idea of using my OWN oil painting of a covered bridge (which I submitted to them for consideration early on) - but in the end, went with a certain "look" that they tend to give all their covers rather than my painting (sniff). There's a photo of my painting on my website if anyone wants to see it...I guess I DID get some satisfaction when I saw the draft cover though - - - at least they used the cover bridge idea - which I'll TOTALLY take credit for "suggesting" !!!! [Wink]

HAPPY READING EVERYONE ELSE....so far I'm really pleased that you all are finding the book easy to read, and most importantly, easy to "get into". Keep the feedback coming - it's useful as I get further into writing the sequels! [Cool]

#72420 - 07/19/04 03:59 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
newhope Offline

I received my copy of the book on Friday and have had a chance to read about half of it so far this weekend. I'm enjoying it very much and find I want to retire early tonight and take the book to bed (my favorite place to read) to try and finish. I'm not sure I'll be able to as it's already 9:00 PM and I usually get to bed by 11:00 but we'll see! I love your characters, Pamela. You've made me feel as if I know Bailey and Kyle. I can't wait to see what's happening there in David's Bridge. I like the way you started with Prologue but haven't yet mentioned it halfway through the book. Can't wait to see how it ties in with the story I've read so far. It IS helping me keep my mind off our problems and for that, I'm really grateful.

#72421 - 07/19/04 12:43 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Joyce.....indeed, I read (and write) often to take my mind off other things, and find that "temporarily living" in the pages of a good book works quite nicely to do just that. Hope you look back at the end of the book and think to yourself that you enjoyed the trip! [Wink] [Wink]

#72422 - 07/21/04 04:15 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Pam, I read some more last night and am enoying it. I love the location of her office. I want to rummage through that book store. [Wink] Great detail.

#72423 - 07/21/04 05:37 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Oh Dotsie - I'm so glad you are enjoying it. Funny you mention the book store - I created it because I WISH WISH WISH there was a place like that here in town! SO - next best thing to having one here, was to give one to my character and "visit" that way. [Wink]

Today I'm writing letters to bookstores in the area (and slightly out of the area!) to introduce the book, provide ordering information, and HOPE that they will order some copies for their stores. Wish I could afford a PR/Marketing person to do THIS stuff so I could just WRITE WRITE WRITE! [Eek!]

#72424 - 07/21/04 08:07 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Pam/Pinkie

Here something to cry over...my hometown (60miles west of here) has 5 or 6 beautiful old buildings for sale just sitting there waiting on someone LIKE ME to go in, buy a building, put in a bookstore and live in the top...sigh...

anybody got 50K laying around? what?

I agree 100% with the detail stuff....just let me write! Someone else do the paperwork! ugh!

#72425 - 07/21/04 08:25 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
JJ,
Go to the city fathers and see if they will work a deal with you. They could use some of their grant money to get you into those buildings. Or if they don't have a grant, you could help them get one. Or you could get it on your own.
Just go down there and bat your beautiful eyes and look cute.
If that fails, cry and BEG.

You have mentioned this several times and it is obviously your dream. You can't let it pass you by without doing everything you can to make it come true.
That's a message to me also.

smile

#72426 - 07/21/04 11:59 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

It's a message to ALL of us.....pursue your dreams because nobody ELSE is going to do it for you that's for sure!

JJ I just know there's someone down at City Hall who will melt when a fluffy little redhead like you comes in and boo-hoos into her little lace-edged hanky about those buildings for sale. YOU GO GIRL! Then when you have the book store open, we'll fill it with books Boomer Women have written - how's that??? [Wink] [Wink]

#72427 - 07/22/04 12:07 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I doooo like the way you all think...

#72428 - 07/23/04 09:20 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dots, (tapping fingers on desk) you done yet? [Smile]

#72429 - 07/23/04 05:48 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

sugaree, no I'm not, but I'm getting there. Please send me your address because I also need to send you the note cards. PLEASE! [Wink]

#72430 - 07/23/04 08:02 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh, I'm not rushing you. Just kidding around, of course. I sent you my address about a week ago. I just did again. Maybe I'm not doing the 'private message' thingy right or something. Let me know if you don't get the one from today, ok?

Pam, I know this must be real exciting for you to have so many reading your book and waiting to chit-chat about it upon us finishing. That is one of my favorite passtimes, reading a good book then discussing/sharing my perspective and hearing others.

Since, of course, all of us have different life maps, each of our aesthetic responses to a work are slightly different. I love knowing the 'why's and hows' of their views and how it made them feel. Guess that's the 'psych major' coming out in me...."why do you feel like this, and what made you do that?" LOL Never mind me. [Razz]

#72431 - 07/23/04 11:43 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Sugaree I absolutely agree with you about sharing ideas and thoughts and impressions about books because each of us brings our unique perspective to the table....each has something different to express....it's why I'm so grateful that Dotsie suggested my book as a Book Club project - after all, I have no way of knowing whether I'm on the right track and have created a believable, interesting cast of characters without YOU all and all the other readers giving me feedback. [Smile]

I'm looking forward to hearing from each and every one of you as you finish reading the book. Three people, including two of our fellow Boomers, have posted wonderful reviews on Amazon so far. I am NOT expecting everyone who reads the book to love it( [Wink] ) - but it's nice that so many have apaprently enjoyed their experience of exploring the world of Bailey Ferrol and "David's Bridge".
[Cool]

#72432 - 07/25/04 07:18 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Pam, I'm glad to hear people have posted for you on Amazon. That makes my heart sing! [Big Grin]

Sherri, I'm checking on the snail mail addy. [Wink]

#72433 - 07/24/04 09:20 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thanks Dotsie....That's a sweet thing to say! [Wink]

#72434 - 07/25/04 01:46 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Sherri Offline

Hi Pam,

I posted a rave review at Amazon and gave it 5 stars!! Good luck!

Love,

Sherri

#72435 - 07/25/04 02:16 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thank you SOOOOO much Sherri! [Wink] [Wink] I'm really thrilled you (and your husband!) enjoyed the book.

#72436 - 07/25/04 04:47 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm moving right along and am enjoying the love story/mystery combination.

The fact that Bailey moved her gun to the house added spark. The mention of guns gets my heart tickin'.

I also liked the way Halloween was smack in the middle of suspense. Perfect little twist.

I like the speed of the romance. [Wink] In some books it all moves to quickly.

Looking forward to reading again!

#72437 - 07/25/04 08:35 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Back to the reading huh Dotsie? Good..! I have several "breaks" in the action throughout the book, of which the Halloween thing is one. It's also another place where I interjected some of my OWN experiences...I always get 2 pumpkins to carve for Halloween - - one for ME and the other smaller one for my cat Sam (which I carve into a cat face). [Big Grin]

Glad you are enjoying things so far...thanks for the feedback Dotsie. [Wink]

#72438 - 07/26/04 12:47 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
newhope Offline

I just finished the book and absolutely loved it. What a great first novel, Pamela! You are truly a gifted writer and you obviously have a great imagination. I felt as if I knew the characters, you explained them so well. I think that Bailey could be a very good friend if she were real. You certainly gave her great taste in clothing. I really liked the town of David's Bridge - it sounds like an ideal place to live. I also liked the way you tied up the situation with Brad - that was well done. The ending was a total surprise to me. I like that in a mystery because so often you have it figured out way too early in the book. I hope you will be writing more soon about Bailey and Kyle and Eddy. I would also like to find out what happened with Tammy and her brother and sister. Thanks to Dotsie for encouraging us to read this entertaining first novel.

#72439 - 07/26/04 02:12 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thank you so very much for reading the book Joyce AND for letting me know how you felt about it in general! I was hoping to create some characters and a setting that were not only believable, but who could hold people's interest through a series of books. I have plans involving Tammy and her "cloudy" past, and the book store owners, and even Mrs. Hampton, the guest house landlady. They will all be involved in future books in various situations. [Wink]

I sincerely appreciate your feedback - I'm just so happy you enjoyed the book. With some luck, the sequel will be out next Fall. I'm not promising that mind you - I'm still writing it (!) but I'm hoping my publisher will want to follow-up the first book relatively quickly.

Thanks for making my day! [Cool] [Cool]

#72440 - 07/27/04 07:55 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Maggie Offline

Hi Pam,
Tried to give a review on Barnes & Noble and I noticed someone else reviewed there too. I think word is getting out. [Wink]
Maggie

#72441 - 07/27/04 09:19 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
lalapaloosa Offline

Barnes and Noble emailed me and told me that they were unable to fullfill my order and had to cancel. Boo and hoo! Where did y'all order yours?

La

#72442 - 07/27/04 01:22 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hey La.....that's pretty weird?! "Unable to fulfill your order" from a place like Barnes & Noble? Well then they should order MORE from the distributor if they are out!! Try Amazon or BooksAMillion online....I'm SO SORRY you are having a problem getting it. That simply should NOT be happening! [Mad] [Mad]

#72443 - 07/28/04 07:54 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Maggie Offline

Lala,
I ordered mine from Barnes & Noble because we don't like to order over the computer.
I could send you my copy if you would like to send me your snail mail. I am slow [Frown] though but will try.
Maggie

#72444 - 07/28/04 04:20 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Pam, I'm moving right along. I'm anticipating the love story as much as the mystery. Great story and believable characters.

#72445 - 07/28/04 11:28 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thanks Dotsie.....glad to hear it. [Big Grin]

#72446 - 08/03/04 01:48 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Well Book Clubbers, since the comments on "David's Bridge" have pretty much wound down, I'm thinking that everyone who was going to read the book has at this point. For that reason, I wanted to post a sincere, from the heart, thank you to everyone who purchased the book (or shared their copy with someone else) and spent TIME reading it. Your comments were meaningful, insightful, and encouraging. I've actually posted some of them (with your permission!) on my website so others can get a "feel" for the book. I continue to get almost daily emails from people who are reading and enjoying it too - outside of this forum. [Smile]

I welcome any additional feedback anyone may have here - including suggestions for future "scenarios" in other books in the Bailey Ferrol series.....you ladies are wonderful! Dotsie, thank you for the opportunity to get much needed feedback here in the BWS Book Club. I'll be forever grateful. [Wink]

#72447 - 08/04/04 07:44 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
lalapaloosa Offline

[Eek!] Wait! Wait! [Eek!] Let me play catch up. I just got my book from Maggie! (Thank you so much, Maggie!!!) I am only on page 19. We returned from our trip yesterday evening and there was THE BOOK in my mailbox. I was very excited. So, give me a day or two and I should have it read by then.

#72448 - 08/04/04 07:59 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

No hurry LaLa - I just wanted those who had read it to know how much I appreciated their comments.....I'll be anxious to hear how you feel about it when you've finished. [Wink] [Wink]

Anyone else who's "mid-read" - I'm not pushing... just touching base with those of you who have read it and moved on to other reading projects!!

[Big Grin]

#72449 - 08/03/04 08:56 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Pam, I'm almost finished and when I am I'm passing it to sugaree. I already have her address, so there will be people reading in here for a few more weeks. [Wink]

#72450 - 08/03/04 11:27 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Maggie Offline

Lala,
So glad you're enjoying the book too. Its a good read.
Maggie

#72451 - 08/03/04 11:32 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

[Smile] Great! The more the merrier! Also Dotsie, I have been working all day on my new website - as soon as I get confirmation of the domain registration, etc. I'll send you the link. Actually I'm going to keep my "personal" site for a while longer - the new site is just my "professional/writing" site.

HAPPY READING EVERYONE! [Wink] [Wink]

#72452 - 08/09/04 07:53 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I finished the book and I gotta tell you it had me guessing right up to the very last page. I've never read a book that I couldn't figure out. There were lots of great twists and turns in the story.

I couldn't figure out how you were going to end it with only 2 1/2 pages left.

Great job Pam. I have notes and will post more when I get home from vacation.

Oh, but for now...I loved the introductions at the party. It made me realize how important first impressions really are.

More when I get back.

Sugaree, the book will be in the mail next week. [Big Grin]

#72453 - 08/08/04 10:35 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thanks Dotsie.....I always enjoyed mysteries that kept you guessing [Confused] until the very last moment so that's why I wanted mine to be that way too!

Hope you have a wonderful time at the beach and I'm really happy you had a chance to read the book and give me your thoughts.
[Wink]

#72454 - 08/09/04 05:58 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

More to come!

#72455 - 08/09/04 10:05 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh goodie, Dotsie. Thank you. Ok, Pam, looking forward to this! Been keeping up with all the little chit-chat re: David's Bridge but not visiting here too often so that I wont accidentally read something that will spoil the mystery of the end I hear so much about.

Later! [Smile] Isn't Dotsie a doll?!

#72456 - 08/10/04 07:23 AM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
lalapaloosa Offline

Well, I finished the book. I was certainly surprised by the ending. Who woulda thunk????!!!
I love Eddy...except if he were to wake me up at 5:30 he would be sleeping elsewhere!! (I think it is illegal to have 5:30 twice in a day. Someone may want to check the local laws on that. At least, it OUGHT to be against the law if it isn't) And I do want to know about Tammy and her siblings. I would like to see that sister of hers do a makeover on Tammy and I would like to see Tammy start her own designer clothing line working with her sister...wouldn't that be fun! I loved the bookstore owners (and I liked meeting their friend with the bookstore). I enjoyed how she worked well with her "uncle". I can't remember, is he really her uncle? That was a nice touch. Too often the PIs in novels have a negative relationship with local law enforcement. It was a refreshing change to have someone as normal as Bailey working as a PI. Good job, Pam, and congratulations on your first book.

#72457 - 08/10/04 01:22 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thanks for the feedback Lala!! I love your idea of Tammy's sister doing a makeover on her....probably would do her some good too since Tammy tends to melt into he background....LOL

The police chief isn't her "real" Uncle - but she's got such a close relationship with him and he was a good friend of her father's....so she kind of grew up calling him her Uncle. I'm also glad you liked her GOOD relationship with the police force - I thought that in a small town like David's Bridge, it would benefit Bailey and her business to maintain close ties with law enforcement rather than having an antagonistic relationship. I agree with you about so many books having just the opposite flavor.

I'm just so happy that you enjoyed the book - I intend to develop ALL the characters in the town as I work on the series. There are lots of potential little mysteries to work on in the town don't you think??? [Wink]

Sugaree - I agree with you that Dotsie is a dear to send you her copy of the book, and I'll be anxious to hear how you like it.

Again Lala - THANKS!!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#72458 - 08/22/04 02:50 PM Re: The Mystery of David's Bridge
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Ladies....a little update - last night I had my first "book-signing" - well - sort of! I had dinner with some old friends for whom characters in my book were named....Marabeth (the police chief's assistant), and Debbie (the lady who owns the jewelry store on Main St.) brought their copies of my book and an extra one for Doris (the animal portrait artist) who lives in N. Carolina now. I autographed their copies and they told me how much fun it is for them to tell people that THEY "appear" in my book. Now I must say that these ladies are not the same "characters" that they are in the book - I just used their names so they would get a kick out of seeing them when they read the book.

Anyway it was a lot of fun....now my first "real" book-signing is in October in Waynesboro, VA. Over 50 authors attending that one. I'm sitting in on a panel discussion with several other authors sharing our "journeys to publication" with the audience. Should be interesting. One of the writers appearing is someone I've corresponded with for several years and never met in person - should be a lot of fun!
[Wink] [Wink]

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved